Username Post: Frustrated with a 2-pager        (Topic#1584455)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I have had two pages of memorbilia on white paper on my desk for about a week. I have moved them around and moved them around and moved them around some more.

The journaling is done, needs to be sized and printed on cardstock.

The papers were picked 2 days ago.

It is 11:15. I'm tired of playing with these two and want to move on two others where I am more inspired.

I have given myself to 2:00 today to complete these two pages so I will get down to business and do them.

My goal today is 4 pages. Once I get past these 2 the next two are easy peasy. These two are making me crazy.

Odd part is, when I come to these like this that really stump me I seem to put more effort in them - I have to - and they end up being among my favorites!

Back to work. These two are really going to give me a feeling of accomplishment when they are done. I will reward myself with a piece of cake when I'm finished - that is motivation!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 01-25-13 08:27 AM
In response to Henri Jean

Good luck Henri! I'm sure they'll turn out fabulous! I have one I've been stuck on as well. It is the 2nd page of a 2 pager and my 1st page I did ages ago.

There's a list I go to whenever I am stuck... things to add visual interest to a page like adding some vellum or ink the edges and things like that. There are like 100 things on this list.

Can't wait to hear how this one turns out for you!

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to Vae

I always do both pages of a 2-pager together. Look for things you can extend across both sides to tie the pages together, like a horizontal stripe of paper or ribbon. Or try creating a border that goes around all 4 sides to make it into one big 12x24 layout.

Diva
In response to Vae

Hang in there! You can make it!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

now you have me curious. looking forward to seeing them. The cake will taste much better.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Henri, If I was doing a two pager, and I've only done it a couple of times I would look at Pink Spoonbill's gallery for inspiration. She does a lot of two pagers and they are travel pages:

http://www.scrapbook.com/profiles/805085.html

Good luck!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to CrimsonMama

Find a photo that you can cut in half vertically, i.e. something that has a lot of scenery on the left side and people on the right. Use half of it on the first page and half on the second, spaced evenly across. Sometimes that pulls things together and actually gives a little more room for other things on the page.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to boysmom

That's a cool idea 12 x 24! I'll have to try that!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to boysmom

Doing a 12 x 24 page linking them via a border is a great idea~I'll for sure want to try that

AuntyT
AuntyT 
Governor
AuntyT
In response to flwrgrl

I just set projects aside well that's annoying and give up and come back to it later.

What kind of cake are we talking about? I love marble!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to AuntyT

I love Terri's (Pink Spoonbill) layouts - I have so many of them in my personal file of layouts I go back to quite frequently and have "borrowed" ideas from her in the past. She is a master at symetrical layouts and I love her work!

This has a lot of journaling, most on one page thatn the other so nothing symetrical worked. I went with a really splashy patterned paper in teal blue with lots of fish - very busy but there is so much memorbilia that not much of it peaks through. It is the bulk of the journaling for the last trip to Hawaii.

It's done now - a little more tweaking to do when I make mats which I probably won't do until I get to the crop. It is just really an odd assortment of stuff.

A menu thing from a restaurant, a die-cut, a birthday card, a verticle piece of journaling and a horozontal piece of journaling.

THe other side has a square decal, two big horozontal pieces of journaling that go all the way across, a room key, a business card, the welcome notice from the hotel room on base and the cute little thing that tells the name of our housekeeper. Don't know why I kept this other than the fact that I did a layout about a remarkable woman named Dolly that we met on a cruise ship last year and then I did a layout on Dolly who was a famous madam for an early brothel in Ketchikan, Alaska, and when this said our housekeeper was Dolly I couldn't resist it. Plus the card has a pretty Bird of Paradis on it.

Every time we go to Hawaii and stay on Pearl Harbor there are two morning doves who cuddle up and sleep in the papaya building right outside the building. They used to sleep on the branch that you saw when you walked to the elevator on the 3rd floor but since the tree has gone, we now see these two birds on the 4th floor. We walk out our door and over to the railing and there they are.

We've watched them for about 4 years in this tree every nigiht. WHen we came the past time there was only one bird and we were concerned something happened to one of our birds. Then after a week or so Bill came in one night and was excited to tell me to follow him - he wanted to show me something.

Both birds were cuddled up. DOn't know why one was missing for a bit.

I'm probably not journaling on that page (then again, maybe I will) - just plan to decorate the page. Page after that will work itself too - using an overlay on it.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

Funnily, I find two pagers easier than a single page. Two pagers I lay next to eachther on the table, decide on the photo's, papers, embellishments ect and it gets done.
Single pages are too cropped for me for some reason, I always feel like I have to stick everything onto one page and I end up with pages that feel over crowded....

Good luck on the pages and rewarding is ALWAYS good

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to TheCharmedOne

Henri, do you have a smash book? The kinds of day-to-day memorabilia you have are usually the kinds people put in smash books. It's not as detailed as a LO, and goes faster, too. K&Co wants $12-15 for one, but I have a Bind-it-All and made mine. ...and Lizzie's, too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to BlingQueenRia

Great ideas!

Got them done when I wanted them done and moved on. Actually I think I'm going to like them when I get them glued down Friday night at the next crop.

I only have 9 pages to put together at the crop so I have to get really busy - I'd like to take about 25.

I've seen some darling smash books that people have done but I really like the 12 x 12 with photos and memorbilia together on one page. Also, the protectors are very important to me.

My best scrapbook buddy here in Florida made a beautiful smash book and I thought about it, just wasn't my style. I think I will always prefer the 12 x 12 with protectors for my stuff but love looking at other people's smash books. They really are cool.

How neat that your daughter is making a smash book! When my granddaughter is big enough I will encourage her to make a smash book and keep up with it!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics