Username Post: Clear Stamps ?        (Topic#1584467)
kdsweet
New Kid On the Block
kdsweet

Hello! I've just started scrapbooking and I'm hooked! I'm so glad to finally do something fun with hundreds of pictures from when I studied abroad.

So far I've had good luck using rubber stamps (alphabet stamps) and I like those as my handwriting is pretty nice but not super. I'm a little perplexed by clear stamps though; what is the difference with them?? I'd like to get more stamps but want to make sure I know what I'm getting with those. (This may be an obvious thing.. guess my newby status will show then haha)

Thanks, appreciate your feedback! And this is such a great resource, I love it!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to kdsweet

The difference with clear stamps is that they mount to an acrylic block and you can see exactly where you're stamping, and they take up WAY less storage space! You tend to get a less crisp image with them, in my experience.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to kdsweet

What aquabunny said, except for the less crisp image part. I make tons of cards, and over the past couple of years have been using my clear stamps way more than my wood mounted stamps, and I get great images with both. I think more the type of stamp is the type of ink and the surface on which you stamp. I use a slightly resilient mat to stamp on instead of the hard table surface, I think the softer surface makes it easier to get good images from both types of stamps, but especially the clear stamps.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to chocolateaxel

There are also clear mounted stamps as well. They use the clear blocks but are rubber and have cushioning. (Stampin' Up, Hero arts, The Greeting Farm are some companies that have them). They still store in less space than wood mount.
If I like a stamp, I buy it. Except for wood...I no longer have the room for wood.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to chocolateaxel

I think the clear image image issue comes down to the quality of the clear stamp. I have some clear stamps that make a perfect stamped image. And they were costlier. The clear stamps from the dollar bin at Jo-Ann (some of my favorite Halloween stamps!!!) were TERRIBLE.

But then I learned a few tips-

If your clear stamp from a dollar bin isn't making a nice image, use a new pencil eraser (the pink kind) to rub the stamp. It'll kinda turn white. (Learned this here)

If that doesn't do it, then stamp it in some permanent archival ink, and don't stamp it on paper- let it dry. Then it'll work perfect. (Forget where I learned this- was it in one of Mr. Holtz's videos? Can't remember).

I've had the best success and get the most perfect, beautiful images from Stampers Anonymous brand stamps. I don't know what kind of rubber they use- but it must come out of an Angel's butt or something. It's perfect and makes the best stamped images. I love you, Stampers Anonymous.

-kory

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to designguyKORY

Clear stamps are slightly more difficult to get a good image for two reasons.
One, if you are using a dye based ink the ink can bead up on the stamp. To solve that problem, you can do a tap, tap, twist kind of motion while inking the stamp, and that will break up the bead and smear the ink around better. The other option is to do what designguyKORY above suggested. Using a slightly dirty stamp helps the ink adhere better.
The second problem with clear stamps is that they have no foam cushion. Stamps need a tiny bit of give to get a good impression. Put a foam mat under the piece of paper you're stamping, and you should get a good impression.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Hdubarry

• Quote:
I've had the best success and get the most perfect, beautiful images from Stampers Anonymous brand stamps. I don't know what kind of rubber they use- but it must come out of an Angel's butt or something. It's perfect and makes the best stamped images. I love you, Stampers Anonymous.

Angel's butt!!!!

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 01-26-13 07:17 AM
In response to binkiemonstermom

I am going to have to try Stampers Anonymous stamps now. With that recommendation who wouldn't try them?

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to binkiemonstermom

• binkiemonstermom Said:
  • Quote:

Angel's butt!!!!

Kory, you are an absolute CRACK UP!!! and I totally agree with the

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to designguyKORY

Kory good idea but you say the darnest things sometimes that make me laugh!!!

Justie

kdsweet
New Kid On the Block
kdsweet
In response to justartguy007

Thanks everyone, appreciate it!

Diva
In response to Hdubarry

Love your blog and LOs. So colorful! Thanks for sharing!

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to bayamonesa1

Thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it

Lain Ehmann
Tenant
Lain Ehmann
In response to Hdubarry

I also use a mouse pad to stamp on. Seems to work well to help with that little bit of "give" you need to get the clean image.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics