Username Post: Family Ancestry Scrapbooking        (Topic#1584519)
New Kid On the Block

Well, I'm a little confused on how to start my Family/Ancestry scrapbook. I've got photos, journaling, clippings, and decided to do it chronologically by year. But..should I combine both sides of my family together for each year, or separate by book??? Need some ideas and help!

Tenant
In response to suznbee

I didn't actually do a scrapbook, but I did a similar project (trifold board) for a family reunion.

How about beginning with one generation - two parents and their children? My trifold had 12 - 12x12 "pages" in a 4x3 grid. The top 4 pages were the family reunion intro page, the two great-grandparents, and a "lost in time" page for the children who died in infancy or for whom there were names and birthdates, but no further info. The remaining 8 pages were for my grandmother and her siblings.

I plan to try to gently remove the pages from the trifold and put them in an actual scrapbook - some day

Good Luck.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Schokoküsse

There is no rule. You can set the album(s) up any way you wish. I prefer to do put all of my layouts in top-load albums. That allows me to switch individual layouts around or move them to other albums. This might work for you If you keep individual layouts separated by family side.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Luvmyfam

Thanks to you both for the ideas and info. I’ll think I’ll start with the year-by-year that will include both sides of my family and see how I make out. Appreciate the help!

Lain Ehmann
Tenant
Lain Ehmann
In response to suznbee

Definitely start with the way that makes sense to you. But think about how that plan will scale forward if you create more books for other generations.

Don't forget that things are rarely set in stone! Maybe you could use a three-ring binder album rather than post-bound so it's easy for you to move pages around later.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to Lain Ehmann

I've been mulling over the same question. I started with our children & am working my way backward. Keep your fingers crossed!

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to flwrgrl

I've seen this question a lot and in my rather discombobulated mind, only one answer makes sense. Pick a picture or two or three (make copies, of course - never scrap the original of ancestry pictures!) that inspire you and scrap, tell the story that makes the picture matter to you, and when you've finished, do it again. When you have the second one done, see where it makes sense to you in relation to the first one, and put them in the album accordingly. I find that works better for me than trying to formulate some plan. It's the photos and the stories and the time you spend that matter, not the structure of the album. When you're adding pages to the album, you'll start to see your own pattern form,whether it's chronologically or because one memory triggers another triggers another. I've found that makes my albums mean more to me than just starting off with the, "I have to scrap this in this order" mentality.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to cindy71

I made a family mini album for my grandmother some time back using old b&w photos. I scrapped my grandparents in the middle and then did each of their sides of the family. I even used tombstone photos in place of people whom I didn't have photos of.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to suznbee

I'm in the process of doing three heritage albums of each of my grandparents and their families. I have done some in order of family line like parents then children so on. But realize now I'm just putting layouts where I want in the album. I also mixing up my journal and write either with it printed or my own handwriting.
I also use the original as well as copies of photos. If I use the original photos and sometimes copies. I used photo corners or removable glue dots. It just depends on the type of photos I'm using. I know some say don't use the original photos. But I say if you are using photo corners or removable glue dots. What the harm I think they give the album some character. But again it how you scrapbook. I'm a simple clean scrapbooker. I say just do what you want and how you want to display your heritage in a book. Like others have said there no right or wrong way to scrapbook. It just a fun way to be creative and discover the moments of photos and memories of love ones in the past that are gone. As well as remembering the present.

Justie

mcaruth782
Veteran
mcaruth782
In response to justartguy007

I have also been doing ancestry scrap booking and have not yet gotten all of mine in chronological order. My great grandparents were friends and along the way grandmothers brother married my grandfathers sister making lots of double cousins. Mine will be combined families until I reach my great-great grandparents as they did not know each other. Then I will start a separate book for each.
I love ancestry scrapping.

Also, when I use original pictures, I put them in archival photo sleeves and then I don't have to worry about damaging the photo. It still looks very nice in the layout.

Edited by mcaruth782 on 05-11-13 06:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to mcaruth782

Scrapping my ancestry too, I am going to put mine in albums staring with each grandparent on my dad's side first - so there will be 2 grandparents. Then come my great grandparents and each generations doubles so there will be 4 great grandparents, then my great great grandparents and there are 8 of them I plan on doing this all the way back to our immigrant ancestors and some times furthter if I have enough info. In front of each section will be a divider that states "grandparents" or "great grandparents" etc. Then I will do the same for my mother's side of the family. I am doing couples on the same page if I have no photos or not much info on them. I am also using cameo silhouette cuts for ones without info. I also use images from the internet like Civil War images or Revolutionary War images, maps, logos, etc. Like another person suggested I do use gravestone pics too,

I took some military docs of one great grandfather and scanned them, resized them so I could get them all on one page and used those and just filed the original docs along with duplicate or original photos I don't want to use.

Good luck!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics