Username Post: How do I make this craft??        (Topic#1584545)
New Kid On the Block

Hi, has anyone seen those sea glass window frames that are selling for outrageous amounts of money?? they are made with old wood windows and the sea glass is glued/resin/attached/melt ed glass???? I cant find anything to tell me what materials are used.... I have also started seeing them in just heart or star shapes like from a cookie cutter, but glass with sea glass, on a ribbon like a sun catcher. A friend told me his would be a good place to ask, she says the ladies here know everything!! .... any ideas???

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to gypseesky

Like this?

http://www.ehow.com/how_6130404_make-sea- glass-picture-...

New Kid On the Block
In response to cindy312

No, this is what I am looking for if the link works....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&am p;q=sea+glas...

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to gypseesky

Wow, that is fantastic looking! I know when I was in high school we made wood boxes with a space that we put photos or memorabilia into then filled it with a 2 part resin. When hardened it looked like glass. I still have mine 30+ years later and it still looks as good as the day I made it. Anyhow the resin had 2 different liquids you had to mix together then pour into the space, then you had to work any bubbles out of it to make it look totally clear before it set(hardened). Then there were hours of sanding to make it smooth, using smaller grit sand paper each session. Eventually it looks just like glass, shiny and beautiful!! I suspect that stuff is what you want. I had bought some at a hardware store 15 or so years ago, but do not remember the name of it. I would ask at a hardware store and be specific when they ask what you will be using it for.
The back would have to have some kind of seal so the resin would not leak out. But since you want the light to shine thru it, I am not sure what the back would be-plexiglass maybe? The picture of your example looks like the frame is wider than the glass, which makes me think they poured the resin, then pushed the pieces into the resin. The starfish looks like it sits above the resin sheet, if that makes sense? So if you had a mold with sides to make your 'glass' into, then pushed the colored glass into it, let it harden, then take the sides off, sand those edges if needed, and frame. I may be talking and just confusing you, but I hope some of my rambling helps you get to where you want to be

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-29-13 06:35 PM
In response to catzscrapper

According to the etsy store info on the link you posted, it's fused glass. Very basically - a clear glass panel, place the colored glass pieces on top, and heat until it's all fused together. So, you'd need a glass kiln for fusing and slumping (with proper ventilation and grounded electricity), glass of various sorts (and for the beach glass you can either do your own beachcombing, which is very fun, or you can buy glass that's been processed to look like beach glass), probably cutting and polishing tools.

Diva
In response to stick

Good luck with your search and if you make on..please share..would love to see the final product!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bayamonesa1

Stick is probably right.

You could possibly do a faux version with colored acrylic pieces and resin or 2-part epoxy.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics