Username Post: Pages to use for scrapbooking        (Topic#1584571)
New Kid On the Block

Hi. I am returning to scrapbooking after about 10 or 12 years off. Things have really changed. I used to do Creative Memories and would use the blank page to put my pictures, papers and stickers on. Now all the layouts I see are on fancy papers and often use much fewer pictures and more design. My question is do you still use the plain scrapbook page and adhere the papers, painted papers, etc that are used as backgrounds to it. If so, what type of adhesive? Could someone show a finished page that is in an album so I can see how it looks? Thank you!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Jeannewilliams

Every one I know buys the cardstock or patterned paper and makes the pages directly to that.

For examples there are nearly 2 million finished pages in the gallery which is one of the pages up top - once you click on it go to "layouts".

You can also go to any thread on the board and there is an avatar picture of the person who is posting the thread and under the picture it has a place to go to that person's gallery.

I don't think anyone uses the plain scrapbook page anymore and adheres the papers.

My favorite adhesive is the ATG 1/4" acid free tape. It is a Scotch 3M product and is the most economical becuase the refill rolls have 36' of tape and there are 2 rolls in each box.

However, they are big and bulky and take a little practice to get comfortable with them. But I love mine and I know so many scrapbookers who use the pink ATG. I think you can order them here or pick them up at Michaels - they always have 40% or 50% off coupons. In fact they sometimes put them on sale for 50% off.

The only thing I really recommend staying completely away from is the tubes of glue stick - even if it says it is made for scrapbooks. They tend to warp the pages and in most cases the items fall off after a short time.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Henri Jean

If I understand correctly you are used to the sticky pages that you stuck everything to and then put the film back down over top of?? I did some of those albums as my first scrapbooking albums. Most scrapbookers use page protectors. You make your layout on cardstock (your paper) and slide it in a top loading page protector. EASY!!! I make it even easier and use the D ring binder albums because I like to be able to move pictures around. I HATE post albums!!!!

As far as adhesive, you will need a lot of it!! I use ATG as well.

The fun part is how much everything has changed! The papers are better, the toys are cooler and the choices are UNLIMITED!!!!!! The gallery is a great source of layouts. Also, bloggers have good ideas, my blog is in my signature line. Pinterest is another great source as well!!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to binkiemonstermom

Years ago, I used the sticky pages but then I switched to albums with white archive quality pages that you adhered pictures, etc to. Do people still use those? Or just use the thinner scrapbook papers as the page?

I like the idea of ring binders. Thanks!
Jeanne

New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

Thank you. That's helpful! That's what I thought.
Jeanne

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Jeannewilliams

I just recently repaired a scrapbook of the type where I had to adhere the patterned papers to a white background page. I think it's one of only two remaining scrapbooks I have of that type (an older Pioneer album) - one of them I took apart and got rid of most of it, and another I trimmed down the pages and converted it into page protectors; a third still exists, but I made it in 2000 and 12x12 patterned paper wasn't a readily accessible thing where I lived then, so it's not a bunch of glued-down full sheets like the others were. I did another one using a sketchbook around that time, and I still have that one as well.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to aquabunny

The great thing about the "newer" style is that you make your layout, move it all around and then glue it down, slip it in your page protectors.

My favorites are:

WE r Memory keepers and Doodle bug ones. I like the solid colors and the bright bold colors! We R Memory keepers are at AC Moores and you can use a 40% off coupon or wait until they go on sale at 40% off, which they do often!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Katydidd
Veteran
Katydidd
In response to binkiemonstermom

Getting a kit is great because it comes with everything you need to make some really great pages! Papers, embellishments, stickers, etc. I was out of the game for a long time too and feeling a little overwhelmed with all the new stuff out there. Kits helped me get back in the swing of things because all the products were choosen for me.

Diva
In response to Katydidd

I will agree with that!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to bayamonesa1

I still use strap hinge albums and the basic white pages. If I want patterned paper, then I just use the tape runner and adhere it to the white. I also use my scrapbooks as real photo albums so I don't usually do one photo big fancy layouts. Too each their own. I still know ladies who do the same but some that do the fancy ones too. No wrong way even "10-12 years" later. You're good!

Diva
In response to scrapchica

Good tip!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics