Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Geneology Question        (Topic#1584601)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

For those of you that have done geneology/heritage stuff....what sites do you use? Are there any free ones? Which ones are the best? Any tips?
I need to research my Father-in-law's family in England, some of which were killed in WW2 but we are now getting some info that some may be alive....
Thanks for any help,
Alison

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to kiyawinn

I use Ancestry.com which has an upgrade now for international. I would check out the reviews for that tho' because it's fairly new. I also use GenealogyBank.com but I think the information that you can search is U.S. and not international. Neither are free.

TexasMomOf4
Queen
TexasMomOf4
In response to CrimsonMama

familysearch.org - it is free

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to TexasMomOf4

Thanks, I will try familysearch.org....It doesn't have to be a free site, though.
I was wondering where people have had the best luck getting information and if anyone has any tips for me on finding people....
I've never done this before and it seems to me that there were a few people on here that have been doing geneology....

Thanks!
Alison

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to kiyawinn

I use Ancestry.co.uk. I got it for my DH for his birthday last year and have since become a genealogy widow. Seriously, he does almost nothing else in his free time these days.

(By the way, you'll get better search results on-line if you spell it "geneAlogy" )

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to RedSquirrel

Cool, I just signed up for the familysearch.org.

Genealogybank has some digital newspapers (US). I was able to there, find out the dates that my grandmother was in a train accident and also her nephew who was a train condutor, was in a terrible accident. From finding the actual, date, I was able to find a news article about my grandmother in the local paper at the library. Most newspapers are microfiche and are not searchable on the web, but if you can just find the date, then you can find more information.

So, long story, but I think using more than one tool is good.

Besneys
Guru
Besneys

Kiyawinn,
Whereabouts in England? I found Ancestry a brilliant site hope all goes well for you

anne x

Edited by Besneys on 01-31-13 03:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to Besneys

I highly recommend Ancestry.com,as well as some of the others mentioned. You can also find quite a bit just by googling the persons name. There is tons of information on blogs and the like that where other people have already done the research for you. You will be AMAZED at the info you can come across. Once you start you can't stop!!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vallee

Thanks for the offer Anne! That is really kind of you....I think I might join myself anyway and see what I can find...
DH's dad is 80 now and DH and his sisters think that their dad may have been lying to them about his family....some skeletons in the closet maybe?
Anyway, there could be some sensitive stuff come up.....
Should be interesting!

Alison

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to kiyawinn

I use both Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org. Love both. I also enjoy using Cindi's List. It's a website that has links to other websites that are family history oriented. I use it a lot to help me find good websites outside of the US. Good luck! Family History is so much fun!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to snoflake517

Wow.I just signed up for Familysearch and found something important right away. AMAZING.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

We were nearly late for church on the morning that DH discovered that his great grandfather, who he has no info about at all, had married his own step-mother.

He had spent days researching that, and I was the one who found it on a random search. I tell you, it gets addictive!

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel

Great tips...do you think these sites will be good when looking for Hispanic/Latino families?

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to bayamonesa1

When I did my genealogy searches I was looking in Italy. The advice that I got was to utilize the churches over there. If you write a letter to the local parish in the city that your ancestors were from and offer a donation to the church for pieces of info.
The Mormon church has led the way in a lot of this and have immense information online.
Good luck!!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Abby0317

My husband does all of ours and he uses Ancestry.com and also the program he uses is Family Tree Maker. It came with 2 months free to Ancestry.com.

New Kid On the Block
In response to terrihooper

Hi!

I've also been doing genealogy, and I can't speak enough about ancestry.com Make sure you go to your local library though because some offer it for free.

Our library also does genealogy classes monthly. It's worth checking out because they'll give you some more resources you haven't thought of.

Good luck!
Shawn

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to shawnandjeremy

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Alison

bashfulscrapper
Idol
bashfulscrapper
In response to kiyawinn

I was seriously addicted to genealogy for a while... finally had to set it aside because it wasn't leaving me time, money or energy for anything else, LOL. I've saved all my research, and may pick it up again someday, but for now, it's all boxed up in a closet.

I'll agree with others: Ancestry.com is one of the best sources. Just be prepared that it is not free, and that once you sign up, it's a little tricky to cancel (if/when you want to). It's one of those places where they will automatically keep renewing your account (and charging you) unless you say no before the renewal date. As long as you're okay with that, the amount of information available there is staggering.

Genealogy can be a HUGE undertaking. I've had a few "obsessions" over the years, and while I learned some amazing things, and got the most amazing thrill each time I uncovered a new clue, this hobby also caused me more hair-pulling than any other. It's not something you "start and finish". It's never-ending. You will uncover new clues, sometimes you'll follow an incredible trail, and then other times you'll hit a brick wall. A couple of lines I can follow back 300+ years. Another one, I can't get back more than 2 generations (most likely due to a name change).

Just one more tip, as a recovering genealogy-addict: if you really want to pursue this, the very best resource will be your own family. I'd give anything to be able to ask questions of family members who are gone (as would every other genealogist). Form your questions as early as you can, and ask-ask-ask - everyone, while you still can. There might not be a second chance.

Good luck!

Diva
In response to bashfulscrapper

Glad to know about your addiction...I may stay just with asking my parents about their stories.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to bayamonesa1

It is seriously addictive, and everytime I find something or clear up a mystery, my mouth drops open in shock!

Just this week, I found out where one of my great grand fathers wound up at the end of his life, what he was doing, where he is buried. I also found a death certificate on a great uncle who died young and I didn't know why, I just remember my grandfather being upset.

But one of the most important things is that I learned a lot that even explains some of my own attitudes. I wish I had more time but only spend a few hours per month.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics