Username Post: Packs of Paper vs. Single Sheets?        (Topic#1584645)
busybumblebee
New Kid On the Block
busybumblebee

Hey everyone!

I'm new to scrapbooking but am super excited to dive right into it. I see that 12X12 sheets come in big themed packs as well as single sheets. Is it a better deal financially to buy the big packs vs. single sheets? Or is it better to buy them individually so that there is more diversity?

Thanks so much for any tips!

rubymillerand
Idol
rubymillerand
In response to busybumblebee

It depends. If you're making a theme album like one for a wedding, its better to have a whole collection of papers to choose from. You can also get a packs if you like the manufacturer - if the papers are only one sided, you can use the white backside as matting, or to make die cut embellishments you can alter.

Single sheets are good if you like the manufacturer but don't like the whole sheets. They're also good when the sheets are double sided and you need extra. The paper packs only give you so many designs of each sheet, and its nice to be able to buy one sheet instead of rebuying the whole pack.

Just have fun with it, there's no rules.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to rubymillerand

Hi and welcome!

Buying a pack
Pros:
- it is almost always better value per sheet.
- the pack is co-ordinated already so every page will go with every other.
- often double-sided so if you don't like one side you can use the other.

Cons:
- there is a pretty good chance that there will be at least some that you don't like and won't use. You'd have to factor that in.
- you will be left with a fair amount even if you love it, just because there is a lot to use and you might get fed up with it.
- be careful when tearing them out - it's easy to rip your paper.

Single sheets
Pros:
- you can buy only what you want, and go back and refill when you run out
- you can buy more than the 2 sheets (or whatever) of each design that you get in the pack

Cons:
- more expensive per sheet
- unless you're quick to go back to the store, the collection that you love will have sold out. It's a fast-moving market.

As Monique said, there is no right or wrong, just what suits you best.

Welcome to the addiction, and have fun!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to RedSquirrel

The paper bundles of just plain colors are awesome. Way cheaper than buying sheets of just red, green, etc. I agree on the theme paper packs, like wedding mentioned above, and even one that was all the holidays/seasons was nice for a consecutive year book. However, even with some of the "plain" colored print paper packs, like plaids and flowers and every day type stuff, I don't go through it quickly. The first paper pack like that I have hardly used, and I still have paper 8 years later. Depends on how long you want to be in this and how much space for storage you've got. Enjoy!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

HELLO! I buy a lot of pads and love themes. BUT even if I love a pad I still think, how would I use this paper?

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to CrimsonMama

Love this question!
As a new scrapbooker, I bet you're in love with lots of papers and embellishments and tools, and you want it all!
It's so hard to decided on what to buy, because right now, you don't know what you will actually use.
Start small. Look carefully at collection packs/ paper stacks, and try to get something where you like most of the paper designs and that you can use for a wide variety of stories.
Do NOT buy the variety packs of solid cardstock. Find a few colors you love, and gradually add to that. I can't tell you how much I regret buying the cardstock valuepacks. A bulk pack of kraft or white is much more useful.
Buy a few single sheets for projects you KNOW you want to do.
In short, keep your purchases small to start off with. Learn how you scrap before you go wild with your supplies.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Hdubarry

Welcome! Paper packs are VERY tempting because everything is all tied together with the same theme and all the papers match/coordinate. However, unless you are making an entire album with one theme, you will be left with ALOT. I made a 20 layout album for my friend expecting twins and bought a animal themed paper pack. I ended up using less than half and will donate the other half because I'm sick of looking at those papers.

Like others have mentioned, they are a good value but you have to factor in leftovers. Nowadays I usually just buy a few sheets from a specific collection, just enough to make 2 or 3 layouts.
After that everything starts looking the same. True you might run out and when you go back for more, the stores may run out. BUT, this is a fast moving industry, so there will always be something else that will catch your eye.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Mama2Thomas

I tend to buy collection packs ... not the enormous 200 page packs of thinner cheaper paper (though I have a couple of those and use them for cards), but the small collections from Bo Bunny or Fancy pants or Echo Park.

I prefer them for the reasons already mentioned, but mostly because I like to layer papers, and they are so much easier to mix and match when they come from the same collection.

Have fun

Diva
In response to scrapchica

I will agree with you!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bayamonesa1

Rosey's answer was really good - she answered from every angle.

For me paper packs do not make sense. I paid $35.00 for one and only used 2 sheets before I donated it. Also, there usually are not enough of the papers I want to use. And I can't tell you how many I've ripped getting them out of the packs.

I only buy single sheets and since each sheet is selected because I love it, I'm more likely to use them. And the per sheet cost may be higher, like every said, you have to factor in the cost of the sheets you won't use. That makes paper packs way more expensive for me.

Plus, I don't buy by manufacturer or collections. I buy what I like and mix and match them myself.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Henri Jean

I have some paper packs and some single sheets. But like the paper pack better. There alot of different papers you can chosen in a pack.
It depends on your perfences though.

Justie

rubymillerand
Idol
rubymillerand
In response to Hdubarry

• Hdubarry Said:
Love this question!
As a new scrapbooker, I bet you're in love with lots of papers and embellishments and tools, and you want it all!
It's so hard to decided on what to buy, because right now, you don't know what you will actually use.
Start small. Look carefully at collection packs/ paper stacks, and try to get something where you like most of the paper designs and that you can use for a wide variety of stories.
Do NOT buy the variety packs of solid cardstock. Find a few colors you love, and gradually add to that. I can't tell you how much I regret buying the cardstock valuepacks. A bulk pack of kraft or white is much more useful.
Buy a few single sheets for projects you KNOW you want to do.
In short, keep your purchases small to start off with. Learn how you scrap before you go wild with your supplies.

I did this! I bought the solid color variety pack about 5 yrs ago and I'm really glad I held onto it. I needed a dark shade of yellow for a recent lo & was able to finish in quickly because I had that odd color that matched my pics perfectly.

December 15th, 2012 By Rubymillerand

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry

Love it!
I'm not saying I don't use the paper from the packs that I bought, but rather, it was not a good investment.
9 times out of 10, the colors I do have do not work with what I want to scrap.
It's better to wait and get some scrapbooking done to see what you use, or what you wish you had, before stocking up on everything under the sun.

rubymillerand
Idol
rubymillerand
In response to Hdubarry

I agree, the stacks usually are a hit or miss. I'm going through all the patterned paper I have now and I really don't like a lot of it. I mean, they work w/ the pics I have, but when I see them, I shake my head and wonder why I bought it in the first place.

busybumblebee
New Kid On the Block
busybumblebee

Wow! Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I went out and bought a large stack that is themed. The first scrapbook I'll be working on has a slightly nature theme to it, so I think the pack I bought will be great color-wise.

I have another question (please bear with me!) about the textured almost card-stock-ish paper that came in my pack...I really like the thickness and density of that paper, my issue is that traditional glue doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I bought a photo glue as well but it just seems like the pictures are barely hanging in there! Any recommendations for glue?!

Thanks for any advice!

busybumblebee
New Kid On the Block
busybumblebee

sorry rubymillerand! still trying to figure out how to post on here...that question didn't have to be just for you!

rubymillerand
Idol
rubymillerand

no worries. what type of glue are you using?

For me personally, I don't care what type of cardstock I use or the thickness of it. I use what I like. I like my pages on the thinner side because I want them to fit in the book and not warp in the protector.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Like Monique said - some of the thicker pages don't fit in the protector. I've learned to try it in the sleeve first and if it makes the protector doesn't wave or warp. If it is too tight I trim one or both sides. Better to do this before the layout is complete.

Most of us use some type of glue runners - I am very partial to my ATG (Automatic Tape Glider). I must be I ordered and just received 30 boxes of refill tape - 2 rolls per box. I think 60 rolls of tape will keep me busy for a little while.

Before I got my ATG I bought regular tape runners which were great but in one afternoon I went through 6 of them. Too expensive.

I also like glue dots for stubborn things and even the redline tape for really stubborn things. For small letters I use a Zigpen 2-way if I'm using my Cricut and if I made them on my Slice I use my xyron.

I use my xyron with vellum and glue dots to stick on buttons or heavy embellishments.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

busybumblebee - when you go to the box and reply and hit add post it replies like you are talking the last poster. We all do this - nobody pays attention.

You can go up to a particular note and reply to that person but that is rarely done. Usually we just go to the box, type it in and we all know its for everyone.

You did great!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Hey busybumblebee - what kind of glue are you using? There are so many different kinds out there - it's a jungle!

I like double-sided acid-free tape, any kind, or the ATG as Henri said, which is pretty much the same thing only in a fancy dispenser so it's easier to apply. Glue sticks are pretty rubbish, and I think most people will agree with me on that. Definitely they wouldn't work for long to adhere photos.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

I love my tape runner and Xyron like most of the replys above. I would caution against some of those "sticky tab" like things (Scott photo splits is what I've used) as they didn't keep my photos attached to the paper. Looked like a good idea at the time...

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry

I use the scotch dot runner, or the tombow dot runner. I don't really like most tape runners, since they don't seem to hold well enough for me.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

I also use the Scotch ATG. I know that I always have plenty of adhesive on hand.

rubymillerand
Idol
rubymillerand
In response to Hdubarry

• Hdubarry Said:
I use the scotch dot runner, or the tombow dot runner. I don't really like most tape runners, since they don't seem to hold well enough for me.

I've used a lot of different tape runners and the only one I found I really like is the Duck adhesive. One downside is that it's not refillable. I know it's bad, but I like to use a lot of adhesive because I want my pics to stay down.

Tenant

Thanks for this info as I am new to scrap booking and need to learn about all the items I should get. What about the glue sticks? Someone told me to buy them when they have back to school sales??

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Homemaid

Please don't buy glue sticks. Most of us will not let our scrapbooks get within a mile a glue stick. The stuff eventually falls apart - glue sticks do not work over the long haul.

I have a dozen glue sticks I bought for gluing house pictures onto flyers (I'm a realtor) and I don't do that anymore so they are in a drawer. I would not let them near my scrapbooks, even though they say acid free on them.

The glue is wet - it also makes the pages warp.

Get a good scrapbook adhesive - some type of a tape runner. If you really get into scrapbooking you may want to investigate purchasing an ATG gun. A lot of us here use those.

If you want your scrapbooks to last a really long time or pass down in your family, no glue sticks.

Tenant

Oh my gosh am I glad I asked about the glue sticks. I used them on my first pages. I am going shopping today and will get something different. What is ATG gun and where to get one?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Homemaid

The ATG (originally the "adhesive transfer gun" when sold for the framing industry, but renamed the "advanced tape glider" when launched to scrapbookers) is a nifty device that applies a really great and sturdy adhesive to your projects.

You can get it here and also at places like Michael's and Joann's (though I've had trouble finding the refills at Joann's lately). It comes in 1/4" and 1/2", and I would definitely recommend 1/4" - in the event you actually need a strip 1/2" wide, you can always just run two strips of 1/4" instead.

If you don't like the pink of the 1/4" gun, they can be altered with spray paint. People originated that technique when trying to make the red and yellow ones from the framing industry more pretty (before the pink version existed); these days it mostly gets used by people who don't like the bright pink of the standard version (or who want to make theirs more distinctive so it doesn't get mixed up with other people's ATGs at crops). See here: http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/85953/view/ 1054415/-... and here: http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/14358...

Just this weekend I found myself repairing an album I had used glue stick on only about three years ago (probably the only mini-album I made before getting my ATG, fortunately), and last month I repaired a glue-sticked album from about ten years ago. (Of note, both of these albums did not have page protectors, which probably didn't help, but now they're ATG'd and I'm not worried.)

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to aquabunny

Hello!

Does anyone know of a good tape gun for LEFTIES!?? I've heard that the scotch ATG is difficult for a left-handed person to use. Is this true?

Many Thanks!

Stephanie

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SJB1120

I am left-handed, but am able to use the ATG right-handed (as I also do with scissors and some other tools). However, if you will actually be using it with your left hand, that can be problematic - I've tried and it's quite difficult to see where you're gluing. I've heard good things about the Glue Glider Pro but don't know whether it's set up in a lefty-friendly way.

Diva
In response to aquabunny

I never thought that was an issue with left-handled scrappers.

Tenant

So does this ATG apply a glue substance or small bits like a tape runner? What company makes them?
How does it work for lettering?

Edited by Homemaid on 02-22-13 11:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Homemaid

It's a dry adhesive that delivers a constant stream of narrow tape. It's made by 3M - the Scotch tape people. It's not great for tiny lettering (I like the felt-tip Zig two-way pen for that), but if your letters are wide enough, a little ATG will hold the whole thing in place. It's also much sturdier than anything else I've used for projects that will be handled a lot (i.e., not in page protectors). You do have to be careful, because if you place something down wrong you're likely to ruin the whole thing.

bayamonesa, in my case, even though I am capable of operating the ATG with my left hand, it is very hard to use and you lose your line of sight to where you're applying the adhesive. This is going to differ across different left-handed people, because some can use their right hands really well for some activities and some can't.

Tenant
In response to aquabunny

Ok thank you.. I will look for one my next trip to the city. Went this morning but got into a blizzard so Dr. Appt. then home.

Diva
In response to Homemaid

Good to know.

Tenant

Now that brings up another question. I have about 12 pages done I used glue sticks on them. Should I try to tear them apart and redo them? I have glue pens should I try to just get some glue under it?

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Homemaid

In my experience, tearing stuff apart after gluing just makes everything worse. It all literally falls apart and becomes unuseable. If it were me, though others may differ, I would leave it as long as it looks fine and the glue was acid free.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Agree - I would leave it alone now. If and when a problem arises then I would address it and just not use it any more.

The ATG has a bit of a learning curve for some people. I loaned one to a friend and it took her a couple tries to get the hang of it. You have to release the trigger and use an upward motion at the same time to stop it.

When I first started using mine I got a lot of what we call "glue boogers" where there was a little ball of the adhesive but that rarely happens anymore - almost never and when it does I just pull it off and throw it away. As you get more comfortable with the ATG you get over that stage but its pretty normal when you are learning.

WHen you put something down, it stays. No pulling it up and trying again so you have to be sure about where you want to place the item before you let it touch the paper or cardstock.

There is a product called "Undo" which will lift things glued down with ATG adhesive but its better just to be sure before you stick it down.

Tenant

I did use scrapbook glue sticks. I will leave things alone and see what happens. I talked to my best friend about ths site and she said she had the ATG and when she tried to load the refill it would not work correctly so she threw it away. I will be getting me one. She will most likely be buying another one....

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Homemaid

Yeah, I would wait to redo the glue stick stuff until it starts separating on its own, and then you should be able to take a lot of it apart quite easily.

The refills are a bit tricky to load, but that's no reason to just throw away a $40 item. Definitely keep the little insert that comes inside the ATG to use as a guide in the future for how to load them.

Be careful - the acid-free and general-use refills come in nearly identical boxes, so you need to look closely.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

Good point - be sure to buy the acid-free refills. They are more expensive but will last!

The first time I loaded mine I couldn't get it right. I took it to the frame department at Michaels where they use them constantly (the 1/2" one even though mine was 1/4" - they load and work the same).

The person in the frame department showed me how to load it correctly and I can load it in about 10 seconds - but most of the people I go to crops with take the little thing with the direction on how to fill it and put it in the ATG inside so its always there when they open the ATG to fill it.

So sad they threw it away. If it worked before it was refilled they was quite possibly nothing wrong with it other than being filled incorrectly.

Tenant

I know I couldn't believe she said she threw it way !! But I will get one and I'm sure she will get another. Maybe we will have the famine dept show us how to load it also.. Thanks for the info.....

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat

Plain packs can be great, but there will always be colors and prints you will not like or ever use. You just need to weigh how much paper you will use versus the cost of buying just what you want. I will tell you that I purchase both ways. The paper I do not like, either goes to friends who will use it, or if it is blank on the backside, I use it for testing colors, journaling, and any number of other options rather than use the color or print I do not like.

Tenant
In response to NoirCat

Well I got my ATG today.. I will be trying it out tomorrow. Thank you for the info.....

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Homemaid

If you don't get it at first, be patient and practice. SOme people need to play with a bit first!

If you can't figure out how to replace the adhesive someone at Michaels will show you. I just took mine to the frame dept.

Tenant

Ok thank you Henri Jean....

Diva
In response to Homemaid

I haven't use mine in ages...have to get abck to my ATG!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

I learned the reload process by watching a You Tube video. She explained it perfectly.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to flintridgescrapper

Yes, I got my ATG for Christmas last year. It was great to be able to watch on YouTube exactly how it was loaded. Sometimes you need the visual. Enjoy your new toy!

Tenant

I am not having such good luck with the aTG. I cannot open it to load the tape. I tried and hubby tried. And it is SOOO big. I think mine is going back.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Homemaid

Can't open it? The hinge is at the top, and it opens at the bottom near the handle, just push a bit on the clear plastic near the handle.

Tenant
In response to aquabunny

We have both tried it will not open. I can see where the little tab is where you push it in but it will not release.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Homemaid

Take it to Michaels or wherever you got it - or just go to Michaels and ask them to show you how to open it. WHen I took mine to Michaels to ask how to load it I went to the framing dept becuase that is where they use them.

Sometimes mine is more difficult to open at other times but it always opens.

Tenant

I asked at the frame dept. at Michaels and she said she don't use it she don't like it. So she has no idea how to load it. I got mine at JoAnns but I am going to ask at Hobby Lobby frame dept.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Homemaid

At our Michaels they have ATGs everywhere - its what they use. Very weird that your Michael's doesn't. Maybe Hobby Lobby can help you.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Mine was too stiff to open to start with, and I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing. I used some brute force and ignorance and it popped open. With repeated use, it opens more easily.

The catch is under where the arrow points, but it also attaches a couple of inches to the right where there is a cross. Try pushing on the arrow and you'll get a small gap open between the clear plastic and the coloured. If you can get a screwdriver into that gap and wedge it slightly, it should pop up at the cross, and open.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I love paper paks for 8 x8 albums, but other than that I LOVE single paper. In fact I'm obsessed with paper and scrapbooking supplies in general.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Homemaid

Please go on line and order Tape runners from Creative Memories. They are awesome and refillable and very easy to use.

Tenant
In response to bonprof

I have the Creative Memories tape runners the thin and thick one. With refills for both. Had them for years but never got started with my scrapping until recently.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Homemaid

Did you try with the screwdriver Homemaid?

Tenant

I have not tried a screwdriver. I have a son and grandchildren coming on Friday so I have put it all away and trying to get ready for them.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Homemaid

The old CM tape runners are horrible; the new ones from this year and last are wonderful. You can almost reload them with your eyes closed.

SunshineDiver
New Kid On the Block
SunshineDiver
In response to bonprof

I like to find paper packs that include a lot of my favorite colors, like blues and greens. Then I challenge myself to use as many of the papers as I can, using different color combos and patterns. If I really hate a page or two, I trade it with someone or use it as scrap for Cricut test cuts.

eva.lowery
Resident
eva.lowery

Thank you so much everybody, this post and your answers were very helpful for me too!

Henri, is there anyway you can tell me where you purchase your ATG and refills for it. Because when i went to the scrapbook store and typed "Automatic Tape Glider" it wouldn't show me any matches but for ATG it showed me "Adhesive Applicator Gun". Thank you in advance.

Tenant
In response to eva.lowery

I know they sell the ATG at Michaels, and JoAnn Fabrics if you have one near you. They are $40.00 for the gun and usually have a 59% off coupon.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to eva.lowery

• eva.lowery Said:
Thank you so much everybody, this post and your answers were very helpful for me too!

Henri, is there anyway you can tell me where you purchase your ATG and refills for it. Because when i went to the scrapbook store and typed "Automatic Tape Glider" it wouldn't show me any matches but for ATG it showed me "Adhesive Applicator Gun". Thank you in advance.

That's the same thing. The results that say "adhesive applicator gun" are what you want. The reason you didn't get results for "automatic" is that that's not in its name.

To help you find it here, I've put some product links at the end of this post.

Also, while I've seen the ATG itself at Joann, I haven't seen the refills there in months.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to aquabunny

Yes, put in ATG and it will give you a load of lovely PINK stuff to pick from.

(That's the one I got for Christmas last year - I'm on roll 3 of the tape and have nearly reached my LO total for the whole of 2012. LOVE it! )

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Do you want to buy a lot in bulk?

I buy from a framing shop for the best price but I buy 25 boxes (50 rolls) at a time. Not everyone want to shop that way.

Here is the funny part - if I go into 3M products icon on the site I get the boxes with one roll in it - acid free of course.

If I click on the icon that says, "Scrapbook products" it has the boxes with two rolls in it for almost the same price. Twice as much adhesive.

I called and asked her why they did that and they said they just gave a much better price for the one they are aiming towards scrapbookers.

But it is the same adhesive all of the same assembly line at Scotch.

Let me know if you want the site.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

My husband gave me five boxes of ATG tape for Valentine's Day (also a chair for my scraproom).

Tenant
In response to aquabunny

I returned mine I could not get the darn thing to open. I tried to pry it a bit but was afraid of breaking it or marking it up so they would not take it back. It was almost like it was super glued together. Well they didnt have another one to exchange so I got my money back and bought some other ones. It is an hour drive so I can't just keep running there to get one.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Homemaid

I'm so sorry Homemaid - its just such a great product.

Andrea - sounds like your husband knew just what to get your for Valentine's Day!

Tenant

I may try it again if they have them when I am there shopping.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Homemaid

That's a big shame Homemaid. You must have got a faulty one. I hope you do manage to get one another time - and make sure you can open it in the store before you take it home! See if you can get them to show you how to load it as well?

eva.lowery
Resident
eva.lowery

Thank you all again! I might end up buying one of those ATGs. I just loved how easy they are to use!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics