Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Packs of Paper vs. Single Sheets?        (Topic#1584645)
busybumblebee
New Kid On the Block
busybumblebee

Hey everyone!

I'm new to scrapbooking but am super excited to dive right into it. I see that 12X12 sheets come in big themed packs as well as single sheets. Is it a better deal financially to buy the big packs vs. single sheets? Or is it better to buy them individually so that there is more diversity?

Thanks so much for any tips!

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to busybumblebee

It depends. If you're making a theme album like one for a wedding, its better to have a whole collection of papers to choose from. You can also get a packs if you like the manufacturer - if the papers are only one sided, you can use the white backside as matting, or to make die cut embellishments you can alter.

Single sheets are good if you like the manufacturer but don't like the whole sheets. They're also good when the sheets are double sided and you need extra. The paper packs only give you so many designs of each sheet, and its nice to be able to buy one sheet instead of rebuying the whole pack.

Just have fun with it, there's no rules.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to rubymillerand

Hi and welcome!

Buying a pack
Pros:
- it is almost always better value per sheet.
- the pack is co-ordinated already so every page will go with every other.
- often double-sided so if you don't like one side you can use the other.

Cons:
- there is a pretty good chance that there will be at least some that you don't like and won't use. You'd have to factor that in.
- you will be left with a fair amount even if you love it, just because there is a lot to use and you might get fed up with it.
- be careful when tearing them out - it's easy to rip your paper.

Single sheets
Pros:
- you can buy only what you want, and go back and refill when you run out
- you can buy more than the 2 sheets (or whatever) of each design that you get in the pack

Cons:
- more expensive per sheet
- unless you're quick to go back to the store, the collection that you love will have sold out. It's a fast-moving market.

As Monique said, there is no right or wrong, just what suits you best.

Welcome to the addiction, and have fun!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to RedSquirrel

The paper bundles of just plain colors are awesome. Way cheaper than buying sheets of just red, green, etc. I agree on the theme paper packs, like wedding mentioned above, and even one that was all the holidays/seasons was nice for a consecutive year book. However, even with some of the "plain" colored print paper packs, like plaids and flowers and every day type stuff, I don't go through it quickly. The first paper pack like that I have hardly used, and I still have paper 8 years later. Depends on how long you want to be in this and how much space for storage you've got. Enjoy!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

HELLO! I buy a lot of pads and love themes. BUT even if I love a pad I still think, how would I use this paper?

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to CrimsonMama

Love this question!
As a new scrapbooker, I bet you're in love with lots of papers and embellishments and tools, and you want it all!
It's so hard to decided on what to buy, because right now, you don't know what you will actually use.
Start small. Look carefully at collection packs/ paper stacks, and try to get something where you like most of the paper designs and that you can use for a wide variety of stories.
Do NOT buy the variety packs of solid cardstock. Find a few colors you love, and gradually add to that. I can't tell you how much I regret buying the cardstock valuepacks. A bulk pack of kraft or white is much more useful.
Buy a few single sheets for projects you KNOW you want to do.
In short, keep your purchases small to start off with. Learn how you scrap before you go wild with your supplies.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Hdubarry

Welcome! Paper packs are VERY tempting because everything is all tied together with the same theme and all the papers match/coordinate. However, unless you are making an entire album with one theme, you will be left with ALOT. I made a 20 layout album for my friend expecting twins and bought a animal themed paper pack. I ended up using less than half and will donate the other half because I'm sick of looking at those papers.

Like others have mentioned, they are a good value but you have to factor in leftovers. Nowadays I usually just buy a few sheets from a specific collection, just enough to make 2 or 3 layouts.
After that everything starts looking the same. True you might run out and when you go back for more, the stores may run out. BUT, this is a fast moving industry, so there will always be something else that will catch your eye.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Mama2Thomas

I tend to buy collection packs ... not the enormous 200 page packs of thinner cheaper paper (though I have a couple of those and use them for cards), but the small collections from Bo Bunny or Fancy pants or Echo Park.

I prefer them for the reasons already mentioned, but mostly because I like to layer papers, and they are so much easier to mix and match when they come from the same collection.

Have fun

Diva
In response to scrapchica

I will agree with you!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bayamonesa1

Rosey's answer was really good - she answered from every angle.

For me paper packs do not make sense. I paid $35.00 for one and only used 2 sheets before I donated it. Also, there usually are not enough of the papers I want to use. And I can't tell you how many I've ripped getting them out of the packs.

I only buy single sheets and since each sheet is selected because I love it, I'm more likely to use them. And the per sheet cost may be higher, like every said, you have to factor in the cost of the sheets you won't use. That makes paper packs way more expensive for me.

Plus, I don't buy by manufacturer or collections. I buy what I like and mix and match them myself.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Henri Jean

I have some paper packs and some single sheets. But like the paper pack better. There alot of different papers you can chosen in a pack.
It depends on your perfences though.

Justie

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to Hdubarry

• Hdubarry Said:
Love this question!
As a new scrapbooker, I bet you're in love with lots of papers and embellishments and tools, and you want it all!
It's so hard to decided on what to buy, because right now, you don't know what you will actually use.
Start small. Look carefully at collection packs/ paper stacks, and try to get something where you like most of the paper designs and that you can use for a wide variety of stories.
Do NOT buy the variety packs of solid cardstock. Find a few colors you love, and gradually add to that. I can't tell you how much I regret buying the cardstock valuepacks. A bulk pack of kraft or white is much more useful.
Buy a few single sheets for projects you KNOW you want to do.
In short, keep your purchases small to start off with. Learn how you scrap before you go wild with your supplies.

I did this! I bought the solid color variety pack about 5 yrs ago and I'm really glad I held onto it. I needed a dark shade of yellow for a recent lo & was able to finish in quickly because I had that odd color that matched my pics perfectly.

December 15th, 2012 By Rubymillerand

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry

Love it!
I'm not saying I don't use the paper from the packs that I bought, but rather, it was not a good investment.
9 times out of 10, the colors I do have do not work with what I want to scrap.
It's better to wait and get some scrapbooking done to see what you use, or what you wish you had, before stocking up on everything under the sun.

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to Hdubarry

I agree, the stacks usually are a hit or miss. I'm going through all the patterned paper I have now and I really don't like a lot of it. I mean, they work w/ the pics I have, but when I see them, I shake my head and wonder why I bought it in the first place.

busybumblebee
New Kid On the Block
busybumblebee

Wow! Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I went out and bought a large stack that is themed. The first scrapbook I'll be working on has a slightly nature theme to it, so I think the pack I bought will be great color-wise.

I have another question (please bear with me!) about the textured almost card-stock-ish paper that came in my pack...I really like the thickness and density of that paper, my issue is that traditional glue doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I bought a photo glue as well but it just seems like the pictures are barely hanging in there! Any recommendations for glue?!

Thanks for any advice!

busybumblebee
New Kid On the Block
busybumblebee

sorry rubymillerand! still trying to figure out how to post on here...that question didn't have to be just for you!

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand

no worries. what type of glue are you using?

For me personally, I don't care what type of cardstock I use or the thickness of it. I use what I like. I like my pages on the thinner side because I want them to fit in the book and not warp in the protector.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Like Monique said - some of the thicker pages don't fit in the protector. I've learned to try it in the sleeve first and if it makes the protector doesn't wave or warp. If it is too tight I trim one or both sides. Better to do this before the layout is complete.

Most of us use some type of glue runners - I am very partial to my ATG (Automatic Tape Glider). I must be I ordered and just received 30 boxes of refill tape - 2 rolls per box. I think 60 rolls of tape will keep me busy for a little while.

Before I got my ATG I bought regular tape runners which were great but in one afternoon I went through 6 of them. Too expensive.

I also like glue dots for stubborn things and even the redline tape for really stubborn things. For small letters I use a Zigpen 2-way if I'm using my Cricut and if I made them on my Slice I use my xyron.

I use my xyron with vellum and glue dots to stick on buttons or heavy embellishments.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

busybumblebee - when you go to the box and reply and hit add post it replies like you are talking the last poster. We all do this - nobody pays attention.

You can go up to a particular note and reply to that person but that is rarely done. Usually we just go to the box, type it in and we all know its for everyone.

You did great!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Hey busybumblebee - what kind of glue are you using? There are so many different kinds out there - it's a jungle!

I like double-sided acid-free tape, any kind, or the ATG as Henri said, which is pretty much the same thing only in a fancy dispenser so it's easier to apply. Glue sticks are pretty rubbish, and I think most people will agree with me on that. Definitely they wouldn't work for long to adhere photos.

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics