Page 2 of 4 
Username Post: Packs of Paper vs. Single Sheets?        (Topic#1584645)
scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to RedSquirrel

I love my tape runner and Xyron like most of the replys above. I would caution against some of those "sticky tab" like things (Scott photo splits is what I've used) as they didn't keep my photos attached to the paper. Looked like a good idea at the time...

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to scrapchica

I use the scotch dot runner, or the tombow dot runner. I don't really like most tape runners, since they don't seem to hold well enough for me.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to RedSquirrel

I also use the Scotch ATG. I know that I always have plenty of adhesive on hand.

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to Hdubarry

• Hdubarry Said:
I use the scotch dot runner, or the tombow dot runner. I don't really like most tape runners, since they don't seem to hold well enough for me.

I've used a lot of different tape runners and the only one I found I really like is the Duck adhesive. One downside is that it's not refillable. I know it's bad, but I like to use a lot of adhesive because I want my pics to stay down.

Tenant
In response to rubymillerand

Thanks for this info as I am new to scrap booking and need to learn about all the items I should get. What about the glue sticks? Someone told me to buy them when they have back to school sales??

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Homemaid

Please don't buy glue sticks. Most of us will not let our scrapbooks get within a mile a glue stick. The stuff eventually falls apart - glue sticks do not work over the long haul.

I have a dozen glue sticks I bought for gluing house pictures onto flyers (I'm a realtor) and I don't do that anymore so they are in a drawer. I would not let them near my scrapbooks, even though they say acid free on them.

The glue is wet - it also makes the pages warp.

Get a good scrapbook adhesive - some type of a tape runner. If you really get into scrapbooking you may want to investigate purchasing an ATG gun. A lot of us here use those.

If you want your scrapbooks to last a really long time or pass down in your family, no glue sticks.

Tenant
In response to Henri Jean

Oh my gosh am I glad I asked about the glue sticks. I used them on my first pages. I am going shopping today and will get something different. What is ATG gun and where to get one?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Homemaid

The ATG (originally the "adhesive transfer gun" when sold for the framing industry, but renamed the "advanced tape glider" when launched to scrapbookers) is a nifty device that applies a really great and sturdy adhesive to your projects.

You can get it here and also at places like Michael's and Joann's (though I've had trouble finding the refills at Joann's lately). It comes in 1/4" and 1/2", and I would definitely recommend 1/4" - in the event you actually need a strip 1/2" wide, you can always just run two strips of 1/4" instead.

If you don't like the pink of the 1/4" gun, they can be altered with spray paint. People originated that technique when trying to make the red and yellow ones from the framing industry more pretty (before the pink version existed); these days it mostly gets used by people who don't like the bright pink of the standard version (or who want to make theirs more distinctive so it doesn't get mixed up with other people's ATGs at crops). See here: http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/85953/view/ 1054415/-... and here: http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/14358...

Just this weekend I found myself repairing an album I had used glue stick on only about three years ago (probably the only mini-album I made before getting my ATG, fortunately), and last month I repaired a glue-sticked album from about ten years ago. (Of note, both of these albums did not have page protectors, which probably didn't help, but now they're ATG'd and I'm not worried.)

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to aquabunny

Hello!

Does anyone know of a good tape gun for LEFTIES!?? I've heard that the scotch ATG is difficult for a left-handed person to use. Is this true?

Many Thanks!

Stephanie

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SJB1120

I am left-handed, but am able to use the ATG right-handed (as I also do with scissors and some other tools). However, if you will actually be using it with your left hand, that can be problematic - I've tried and it's quite difficult to see where you're gluing. I've heard good things about the Glue Glider Pro but don't know whether it's set up in a lefty-friendly way.

Diva
In response to aquabunny

I never thought that was an issue with left-handled scrappers.

Tenant
In response to bayamonesa1

So does this ATG apply a glue substance or small bits like a tape runner? What company makes them?
How does it work for lettering?

Edited by Homemaid on 02-22-13 11:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Homemaid

It's a dry adhesive that delivers a constant stream of narrow tape. It's made by 3M - the Scotch tape people. It's not great for tiny lettering (I like the felt-tip Zig two-way pen for that), but if your letters are wide enough, a little ATG will hold the whole thing in place. It's also much sturdier than anything else I've used for projects that will be handled a lot (i.e., not in page protectors). You do have to be careful, because if you place something down wrong you're likely to ruin the whole thing.

bayamonesa, in my case, even though I am capable of operating the ATG with my left hand, it is very hard to use and you lose your line of sight to where you're applying the adhesive. This is going to differ across different left-handed people, because some can use their right hands really well for some activities and some can't.

Tenant
In response to aquabunny

Ok thank you.. I will look for one my next trip to the city. Went this morning but got into a blizzard so Dr. Appt. then home.

Diva
In response to Homemaid

Good to know.

Tenant
In response to bayamonesa1

Now that brings up another question. I have about 12 pages done I used glue sticks on them. Should I try to tear them apart and redo them? I have glue pens should I try to just get some glue under it?

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Homemaid

In my experience, tearing stuff apart after gluing just makes everything worse. It all literally falls apart and becomes unuseable. If it were me, though others may differ, I would leave it as long as it looks fine and the glue was acid free.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrapchica

Agree - I would leave it alone now. If and when a problem arises then I would address it and just not use it any more.

The ATG has a bit of a learning curve for some people. I loaned one to a friend and it took her a couple tries to get the hang of it. You have to release the trigger and use an upward motion at the same time to stop it.

When I first started using mine I got a lot of what we call "glue boogers" where there was a little ball of the adhesive but that rarely happens anymore - almost never and when it does I just pull it off and throw it away. As you get more comfortable with the ATG you get over that stage but its pretty normal when you are learning.

WHen you put something down, it stays. No pulling it up and trying again so you have to be sure about where you want to place the item before you let it touch the paper or cardstock.

There is a product called "Undo" which will lift things glued down with ATG adhesive but its better just to be sure before you stick it down.

Tenant
In response to Henri Jean

I did use scrapbook glue sticks. I will leave things alone and see what happens. I talked to my best friend about ths site and she said she had the ATG and when she tried to load the refill it would not work correctly so she threw it away. I will be getting me one. She will most likely be buying another one....

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Homemaid

Yeah, I would wait to redo the glue stick stuff until it starts separating on its own, and then you should be able to take a lot of it apart quite easily.

The refills are a bit tricky to load, but that's no reason to just throw away a $40 item. Definitely keep the little insert that comes inside the ATG to use as a guide in the future for how to load them.

Be careful - the acid-free and general-use refills come in nearly identical boxes, so you need to look closely.

Page 2 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics