Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Take Better Photos        (Topic#1584715)
photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick

We all want to take better shots, right? Well, it all goes back to the basics. So I thought I'd try starting a thread with assignments again. Starting way back at the very basics. No matter how long you've been shooting, a week, a year, a lifetime... there are skills you always need to work on.

So who is interested here? I thought a group like we had before, an as you have time to participate open thread, would work best. I'll post an "assignment" twice a month... around the first and the 15th. Please speak up if there's a particular skill set you want to improve on. Participate as you can, go back and do any previous assignment whenever you want!

The assignments will be basic skills that can be accomplished with any camera... no frills point and shoot to a top of the line DSLR. The point of this thread is to get out and practice so new images shot with the assignments in mind only please.

What I don't want here... no ripping, shredding, trashing or otherwise bashing. This isn't a thread to give hard critique. It's a thread to learn. So keep any kind of feedback in regards to improvement in a positive and constructive light. If you want to rip apart people's hopes and dreams there are a lot of other photo boards out there just for that.

Sound good? Come on, this board has been so slow and it used to be really great. Let's make it great again....

Assignment 2-1-12
FOCUS!

Focusing is probably the most basic skill in photography, but it's one a lot of people don't spend a lot of time on. We have auto focus, right? But how many times has auto focus failed you? How often has it put that point of focus in the wrong place?

So the first task is to take your camera, pick someplace to focus precisely. If you miss then keep trying until you hit it. This may mean getting the manual out for your camera to learn how your auto focus system works. It could mean learning to use AF points, or even coming up with a good focusing method. Just pick a subject and go.

This is not an assignment about depth of field. It's an exercise to nail that focus exactly where you want it.

Now go. Shoot. Post.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to photo_chick

No takers, huh? Ok. Guess this board really is dead.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-04-13 08:16 AM

Photo chick I just saw this.I think its a great idea,we can all use the practise.If its still open I would like to join,

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Bev1

Yay! It may be just us though. But maybe if we get going more people will join in.

I'm going out shooting this week with this assignment in mind.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho

I'd like to try too

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-06-13 03:26 PM

Later this week for me too.I sure need the focusing practise!

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-06-13 03:34 PM

Photo chick, I don't know how to post my pictures here.
Need instructions please.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

I can try to help you. Once you have your picture in your gallery selected, down a bit on the left hand side, click on link/embed. A box will pop up with your picture again. Click the img code button and copy that long gibberish. Click the largest button size so we can see it better in the forum. Close that box and come back here. Right click and paste. Hope that helps.

~LinMom~
Veteran
~LinMom~
In response to AmyWho

Can I join in? I haven't used my camera in a while and want to get to taking more non-phone photos again!

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to ~LinMom~

Yay! More peeps! Everyone is welcome. Any camera, any level.

Amsel's instructions on posting a photo sound right. I just got a new lens for my birthday so I'll be shooting and posting probably tomorrow. It's an 85mm f/1.4 with no auto focus so I expect to miss the focus a bit while I get a feel for it.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho

Happy birthday!

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to AmyWho

I'd like to do this as well, I take a ton of photos every month, but I could use some skill refinements

Veteran
In response to SJB1120

I would be interested! But I do have a history of intending to do something like this but then life takes over and the deadline is passed before I know it.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho
In response to GeraldFagan

Yeah, I'm not always the best when it comes to deadlines either. But, lately I've really been needing to take time to do things I want to do for a break from life, and I thought this would be a good kick in the rear to get me to do that and learn/improve.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-09-13 12:32 PM

Happy late birthday.Enjoy your new lens.
Is it a prime?

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-09-13 12:47 PM

I'm still having issues so I called them & left a message(closed today).For now the picture is the first one in my Gallery if you would like to see it.Maybe I'll get a call on Monday.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Bev1

• Bev1 Said:
Happy late birthday.Enjoy your new lens.
Is it a prime?

Thanks! I got a Samyang 85mm f/1.4. It's been rated higher image quality wise than Canon's 85mm f/1.2 L and is a fraction of the cost. It actually runs about $100 less than Canon's 85mm f/1.8. The catch is it's all manual. No AF and an aperture ring. Which is how I used to shoot so it's no big deal for me, but that scares a lot of people off.

And y'all don't worry about the deadlines. There are none really. Just shoot when you can, post when you can, go back to old assignments if you want. No pressure. I just wanted to make this about sharing, learning, and working on our craft.

Edited by photo_chick on 02-09-13 12:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho

Bev1, I like your cool bean looked focused to me. What a cute logo, I'd like to see it at night with those lights on it. I would also like to go to Mt. Ranier sometime. maybe someday for a long roadtrip.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-12-13 02:56 PM
In response to AmyWho

Thanks.They have the best Lattes.Any time your in the area I would be glad to take you up Mt.Rainier...love it up there plus lots of photo ops too!Ane we won't forget our Lattes.
Mountain winter By Bev1

Edited by Bev1 on 02-25-13 06:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Diva
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

Ok

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics