Username Post: Glossy spray?        (Topic#1584775)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-01-13 08:57 PM

Hey guys and gals!

Does anyone know of a spray that looks like glossy accents when it's dry? I want to take a paper lace frame and make it shiny. Since it's so detailed, regular glossy accents isn't going to do it. I'm also not looking for a shimmer, so misting is out. If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate it!

Thanks!

michellesmakingmemories
Tenant
michellesmakingmemories
In response to Vae

I've never used it, but thought I'd throw it out there. Triple Thick makes an aerosol version that "creates a bright glass-like coating with a superior high gloss finish." You might test it on a similar paper lace frame and see if the effect is what you're going for... sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to michellesmakingmemories

Goosebumps dries clear with no shimmer but it has a bit of a texture....

Alison
Products Referenced in This Post:

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to kiyawinn

try clear embossing powder? I know that can look amazing and the good brand comes up clear without texture. I use it a lot with a painted base. Gives that epoxy look on projects....

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-02-13 10:55 AM
In response to TheCharmedOne

Thanks everyone! I actually did try the clear embossing powder first (on a different frame of course) and the problem with that is it cracks really, really badly. I will try these suggestions and report back

Thanks!!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-02-13 01:57 PM
In response to Vae

Krylon Crystal Clear might work for you. Depends on how much of a coating you want. Sprays generally won't be as thick as Glossy Accents.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-02-13 10:06 PM
In response to stick

Well, I tried the spray and it didn't really give me the effect I was going for. I did 2 coats of the Triple Thick and it did become shiny but still didn't have quite what I wanted. I ended up detailing it with my Diamond Glaze. It looks better... has a few air bubbles but nothing I can't live with. The worst part will be going over the edges with a craft knife since the glaze did come off the edges a bit in some areas. The paper I used might have something to do with it. I'm going to try it again later with a different paper (one that has more of a coating on it to begin with, instead of regular cardstock) and see if that makes a difference. But this one should work for the layout I'm doing now. I hope

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to Vae

At www.shopbeecreative.com They have a clear glossy spray that you can use. It has varnish in it, that alters the surface of items its sprayed on to shine and seal them. Personally I would just use a spray varnish from M's, but I wanted to give you this option. They also make wonderful Spray & Sparkle sprays that I use to alter scrapbook paper, but these have color in them. You want the clear. Good Luck.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Cricutgirlg

I was going to suggest a that you go to the paint section and get a spray can of the veneer finish and put several layers on..........

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to GwynnAsbury

I havent had the clear embossing cracking on me ... perhaps use a different brand? I use a Dutch store brand btw and it works like a charm. But then, I use it on chipboards a lot and on the page itself...not on frames...the kind I use is by Artimo.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to TheCharmedOne

How about Mod Podge? I know it's not spray, but it should paint on quite easily and cover everything, and you can get it in high gloss.

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel

I am impressed with so many suggestions and options. I have used Diamond Glaze and Mod Podge, but not the other products. Thanks for sharing.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-04-13 06:52 AM
In response to bayamonesa1

Yes, I did try mod podge first actually. But it filled in all the little holes in the lace and I was hoping to find a way that I didn't have to use my craft knife to trim ALL the edges. I did end up doing that anyway though.

tellabling
New Kid On the Block
tellabling

Hi CricutGirlG

Gina (addicted2charms.us) from SOC

tellabling
New Kid On the Block
tellabling
In response to RedSquirrel

I agree with this suggestion. Mod Podge is also fairly cheap.

I am thinking "varnish" could be a fire hazard depending on where you sit the finished project.

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to tellabling

Hi Gina ( addicted2charms.us) from one of my favorite boards SOC! We make our rounds don't we!

Diva

WOuld love to see the outcome of your project. It sounds interesting and pretty as well.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics