Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Why Black and White!?        (Topic#1584789)
meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Hey all!
So I've noticed this trend with layouts lately and it is bothering me! I've seen so many Gorgeous layouts with beautiful colors and designs that use Black and White photos! I don't get it.
Don't get me wrong, B&W can look great with certain themes and color schemes, but I've seen them used with beautiful pastel colors, or bright, vibrant colors and it just doesn't seem to fit. In my opinion, a layout should accent the photo and highlight it. So when you have bright colors and a B&W photo, your eye wants to focus on the colorful embellishments rather than the photo.
Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I crazy for thinking that a great layout can be ruined by a B&W photo?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-02-13 11:31 AM
In response to meshell1104

A lot of my every day photos do not actually have the vibrant colors I wish they did. When I pair them up with gorgeous papers full of color, it tends to make the photo look really...dull. So when I can't enhance the photo to match the papers, I will sometimes go black and white. I'm not sure why others do it- I didn't realize it was a trend. This is just why I do. I really think I need a better camera though that captures color better.

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to Vae

Definitely invest in a good Camera if you can! Photography and scrapping go hand-in-hand if you ask me. I try to build my layouts around the photo, so I look at the pictures and pull colors from them when choosing paper and color schemes. Like I said, B&W can look awesome, but I personally prefer colored photos.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

I know that when what the people in the photo are wearing clashes with each other the scrapper will use b&w photos also.
Not sure why you are putting so much thought into what others do with their layouts.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to NMlady

because scrapping is an art for for many people, and it's just another artistic method,,,,,

the same way there are certain photographic methods, certain painting methods, etc, when you want a specific effect, you use a specific method.

I happen to like black and white photos,,,,,there's a certain crispness that isn't found in color photos, IMHO.

It's just different is all,,,,,,not right or wrong. There's no right or wrong way to scrap.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I think of it like everything else, it's a matter of taste and creatively what you like. I have a couple of B&W that I changed to sepia for LO's. But this does give me a good idea because some our old color photos that were taken in the 50's, are really really faded. Might just try B&W and see how they look.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CrimsonMama

I love black&white photography.
I don't always use b&w photos for my layouts but I do sometimes.....
I use colour photos when I want the fall leaves to show, when I am showing off the colours in a birthday party, when I want to see the twinkle of the Christmas decorations etc....
Lots of times, the colour in a photo doesn't matter. B&W can look very sophisticated, clean, graphic....

Alison

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to NMlady

Like I said, B&W can look good. And I know there is no "right" or "wrong" way to scrap. I think about what other people do, because I often draw inspiration from others' work. That's basically what this entire website is about - sharing ideas and thinking about how other people approach the craft.
I didn't mean to offend anyone with this post, just wanted to know what the logic was behind using B&W photos more often than not, no matter what the theme/color scheme of the page...

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

The Logic is that people like them and want to use them, just like people want to use washi tape or stickles or Glimmer Mist. It's what's floating their boat that the moment.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

I like black & white photos. They actually look better on pages with color. It's really hard to do them on black and white paper, but they look awesome on red, teal, blue. Really any color

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to SherylEb

I agree that it's personal preference...well, except a lot of my "heritage" pics that are only available in b/w..well, some of those are sepia, I guess.

I would only worry about other scrappers choices, if I were hiring them to make me an album...then I would want it done according to my taste. I doubt I'll ever hire anyone to make me an album, though.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to justowen

To me it's just another art form to explore. I don't work with them often but sometimes I just get in the mood to do something different. I have seen some gorgeous layouts on here using black and white photos. They inspire me every day. I have also scrapped a lot of heritage photos and I think they look wonderful against a colorful backdrop of a scrapbook page.

Tenant
In response to olleharr

I have an amazing camera. I just love the look of black and white, and I think that some photos ALWAYS look better that way. I recently went to my cousin's wedding. The photos I took are so-so in colour but amazingly beautiful in black and white.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to PaperTulip

I just thought of another reason. I have noticed that sometimes if my photo is a little blurred and I still really like the photo I will make it black and white and it will be so much clearer. Something that just happened to me recently. So many reasons to use b&w!

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to olleharr

I think that it's an artistic choice. Sometimes a color photo can be lost almost in a colorful LO, but a b/w photo against all that color just pops and highlights the photo.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to meezerpleaser

And for some people, the scrapping is more about the art than the actual picture or preserving a story.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to meezerpleaser

Why black and white? Why not? I love B&W photography, as do many people. I never think a layout is ruined because a B&W photo was used, or because stickles were used, or because washi tape was used, or because of anything. Every layout has it's own artistic and/or sentimental value to the creator. What other people think is irrelevant. I post my layouts here to share them. If some people are inspired by them, then great. If not, then oh well.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 02-02-13 06:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to Luvmyfam

I love black and white photos! I think they look great on a page.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to fknapoleon

I LOVE LOVE LOVE B&W photos. To me the photos really shine in B&W! My mom hates B&W so it is all preference. I think B&W are very arty!! A well done B&W photo is better than a really bright photo anyday!!!!!!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

• meshell1104 Said:
Hey all!
So I've noticed this trend with layouts lately and it is bothering me! I've seen so many Gorgeous layouts with beautiful colors and designs that use Black and White photos! I don't get it.
Don't get me wrong, B&W can look great with certain themes and color schemes, but I've seen them used with beautiful pastel colors, or bright, vibrant colors and it just doesn't seem to fit. In my opinion, a layout should accent the photo and highlight it. So when you have bright colors and a B&W photo, your eye wants to focus on the colorful embellishments rather than the photo.
Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I crazy for thinking that a great layout can be ruined by a B&W photo?

Yes.

Seriously, rule #1 in scrapbooking is there ARE no rules, have fun and do what you love!

Ive also turned a color photo to B&W to even out the varied colors of clothing so an otherwise great photo isnt distracted by possibly mismatched clothing.

Its one thing when I make the kids dress up coordinated for a pic, and another when i catch a great moment when they're in boring, plain clothes or the ugly dress from Grandma that we have to trot out once a year for posterity sake!

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics