Page 2 of 4 
Username Post: Why Black and White!?        (Topic#1584789)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ScrappyMama6

HEY HEY!!!!!!! GRANDMAS NEVER BUY UGLY DRESSES!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

I once read in a scrapbooking magazine that if you really wanted to use a particular paper line/ color scheme but your photo clashes with it, then convert the photo to black and white. Problem solved. I have not done this myself but have considered it many times, especially when my Christmas papers are red and green but my baby is wearing a purple/pink dress for her Christmas picture - not exactly a good match. Or maybe I should buy the paper that I like first THEN pick out her outfit to match the paper

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Teresa I do that too. Turn color photos into black and white. You get such a good luck at the subject, not just the colors and background.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to SherylEb

I think black and white rocks. a very good dear friend of mine took pics of me when i was preggo and some she turned black and white and they turned out amazing and she did the honor of doing pics of my girls for me and some she turned black and white amazing again.
to me its a different look at the pic and the color choices as far as pp and embellies ENDLESS.
I see lo's with black and white pics and i think AMAZING.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:

Clearly you're not MY DD's Grandma!!!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

The answer to your question is in your post.."In my opinion...." Well, it's just that. In your opinion using B & W photos on a colourful page doesn't work, but in may other people's it does obviously.

You might as well ask why does anyone choose to use 'X' brand of patterned paper because I don't like it

So while you're not crazy to think a B & W pic ruins a page, it is just your opinion and although you might not mean to offend I do think your tone is slightly derogatory.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to scrappercaz

Carolyn,

Mr. Craig looks smashing in B&W by the way.......

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Wow. Some of you all are taking this way too personally! I never said I hate B&W photography. Just arguing that in my OPINION it doesn't suite every color scheme. Obviously I'm in the minority with this opinion. Apparently I opened a can of worms with this post. So I'm sorry if my constructive critisism of the craft I love offended you. But there is no need to act like I'm targeting you personally! Jesus you people act like you've never looked at a page and thought, "oh I don't like the way they did X or Y but I like the rest." Which I know for a fact we all do! You're entitled to your opinion but I am JUST AS ENTITLED to mine!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I personally love b & W and sepia on layouts!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

• ScrappyMama6 Said:
Carolyn,

Mr Craig looks good in any color!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Sneezy1956

I found that when a person has a love for a certain creative style that they are proud of and use often, they do get a little defensive when someone critiques it in a negative way. When you post your constructive criticism you are bound to hear from other people who see things differently.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to olleharr

I don't think anyone meant to be rude or condescending,,,,,includi ng the OP. When online, it's best to remember there is no tone of voice,,,,,and take what people say assuming the BEST of intentions.

Having said that, however, the OP declared her opinion,,,,and so did everyone else. She asked WHY. She got the WHYs.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

So glad I saw this post! It made me finally figure out how to turn one of my photos from color into black and white. Of course the computer automatically saved it and I can't find it. lol But i'll try again and see if I can figure out where it's saving. I'm so not good at the computer stuff and photo editing. I take the pic and load it onto the computer and print them but anything past that and i'm lost.

but i'm looking forward to trying some black and white photos on my lo's!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to SherylEb

• SherylEb Said:
  • ScrappyMama6 Said:
Carolyn,

Mr Craig looks good in any color!

Divine isn't he! Glad you like the pic

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I have learned that telling someone they ruined their layout is like calling someone's baby ugly. I agree with Holly. You can have the best of intentions, but online chatting is one sided too often. That being said, I love color in my layouts and use it 98% of the time. Makes me happy. I am working on a black and white layout/photo right now of graduation and am finding it difficult. Not in my comfort zone.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to scrappercaz

I think that if you start off with a rubbish photo and surround it with beautiful crisp embellies then the photo looks even more rubbish, whether it is b&w or colour. OP, maybe that's what you saw? A photo which wasn't that special to start with?

I had a rubbish colour photo which I thought I would try to improve by turning it b&w. It didn't. The mid-tones were still too close.

I have seen a b&w photo with colour embellishments that made me go "oooooohhhhh I can't wait to try that". B&w can look incredibly classy.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to meshell1104

• meshell1104 Said:
Wow. Some of you all are taking this way too personally! I never said I hate B&W photography. Just arguing that in my OPINION it doesn't suite every color scheme. Obviously I'm in the minority with this opinion. Apparently I opened a can of worms with this post. So I'm sorry if my constructive critisism of the craft I love offended you. But there is no need to act like I'm targeting you personally! Jesus you people act like you've never looked at a page and thought, "oh I don't like the way they did X or Y but I like the rest." Which I know for a fact we all do! You're entitled to your opinion but I am JUST AS ENTITLED to mine!

I do think this at times, but I keep those thoughts to myself, in my head. I don't say/write them out loud because I know they would be offensive to the creator.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Luvmyfam

1. My camera is a cheap PS and I won't be getting a new one anytime soon.

2. Some folks are on design teams and have specific products to work with. That's when I took up the black and white photo trend- so that my photos would more easily match the product I was required to work with.

3. Someone else already pointed out that sometimes we're driven more by a product line we want to use instead of the photo. Inspiration to craft comes from many directions, not just a photo.

4. I see many projects and wonder "why?" But I don't feel the need to drag my entitlement and negativity to the forums. Simply asking how others feel about the trend would have been enough. Suggesting that a LO is ruined by a personal choice to use black and white is negative. In fact, I thought it was a great question and discussion topic, which is why I opened the thread. But the thread was ruined with a negative overtone.

5. My little boy wears lots of superhero theme clothes. I don't always want to scrap with superhero primary colors.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

• CommaHolly Said:

Sorry, but yes they do!!! Not all grandmas though - and I'm pretty darn sure you're not one of them.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scraprabbit

we buy toys and candy and make cookies,,,,,

no ugly dresses allowed

well, except for the time Grandma bought school uniforms because Mom couldn't afford them.

but NO OTHER TIMES

Page 2 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics