Page 3 of 4 
Username Post: Why Black and White!?        (Topic#1584789)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CommaHolly

I've bought my last granddaughter dress.

Her mom picked out a beautiful pink dress in the style of Shirley Temple at Macy's and she loved it, I shelled out the money and our granddaughter wore it once. Now it doesn't fit. She outgrew it before you could blink.

Then at Christmas I paid a good bit of money for a darling dress at Cracker Barrel. It was so cute - definitely a Christmas dress with two little scotty dogs appliqued on it.

She never put it on. We all went to my mother's house for Christmas and she had the baby in other pretty Christmas dresses but we never saw her in the one we bought so I'm done. THey can buy their own clothes.

In my opinion they could have at least put it on her to have a picture taken and send it to me. Then I would have know she liked it at least a little bit but there was never mention of it except when I asked her if she received it.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Henri Jean

Henri,

Some times I find myself unable to have my DD wear everything she owns before she outgrows it, even if she loves it. Your DGD is little if I remember and growth spurts are hell-ish on a parent trying to keep a little one clothed when they seem to shoot up overnight!

MY MIL will often get the kids clothing, without asking if they need the item, and often (actually, almost all the time)I have TOTES full of clothes/shoes in larger sizes waiting for them as they outgrow current clothes. I am a thrift store/yard sale shopper and hit the stores all year long buying current and buying ahead. As well as having 4 older boys to hand down clothes to DS. So many times they will get new sweatshirts, etc... from Grandma without really needing them, especially because MIL is notorious for not asking me first what they need. I am appreciative of everything, as I suspect your DGD's parents are, but I dont always get a chance to wear everything on them before they outgrow it.

Id suggest making sure they can use it in that size, or offer to buy ahead for next season. And remember there's probably at least one other set of Grandparents wanting to spoil that little one by sending clothes too!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to meshell1104

• meshell1104 Said:
Wow. Some of you all are taking this way too personally! I never said I hate B&W photography...... So I'm sorry if my constructive critisism of the craft I love offended you. But there is no need to act like I'm targeting you personally! ..... You're entitled to your opinion but I am JUST AS ENTITLED to mine!

You made it personal when you said in your OP that people 'ruin' LOs by using B&W photos - knowing that some of us here do that. And saying 'ruin it' isn't constructive critisism, it's just a negative opinion and it will make people defensive.

And SHOUTING never goes down well, it makes you appear aggressive. Yes, of course you're entitled to your opinion but when people don't agree they will say so. If you only wanted people who agreed with you to join in, well, you'll usually be disappointed on that one

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to SherylEb

Most times, making a good, perfect black and white photo is a LOT harder than coloured photo's. With black and white you have to think more about colours cause its gonna turn up in greyscale colours. When you use coloured clothes that are close together in colour range, it will turn up as a big grey blur.

Me personally, prefer Black and White more in photography. Things that noramlly would fade away, can be super enhanced in a Black and White photo and vise versa.

Plus, to me, scrapbooking is more about the photo than the things around it. You want yer photo to pop out. Everything else are accessoiries. I work with both, Black and White, Coloured and Sepia. Which ever I find best looking, is what I work with. I adjust the colours of the papers and embellishments to the photo. And sometimes, what someone elsewould find a bad photo cause the hue is too enhanced or too little, I find artistic. I have a few of me daughter, in Black and White, some are too dark n blurry n others are too light but super sharp. It are those photo's that I love best cause it often captures a moment much better.

Photo's and LO's are a person's personal choice and if others like it, thats great and if they dont, thats fine too. The LO's end up in someone's album for them to look at

I do understand your question tho but to be honest, Black and White never been out of fashion really....

Diva
In response to ScrappyMama6

It depends on the mood. ..but I prefer color thns black and white photos...unless is awedding album or professional taken photo...otherwise you will not see it in my scrapbookS!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bayamonesa1

Teresa - a lot of people sent clothes when my kids were little and my kids really didn't need them so I understand but I always put it on them anyway and snapped a few pictures to send the gift giver. It made them feel good.

She had commented to me that she needed a Christmas dress and dropped a dozen hints so I bought her one. She wore a Christmas dress on Christmas eve and one on Christmas day since she had two other Christmas dresses. Since they spent Christmas with my side of the family, seems she could have found 5 minutes to wear it.

The mother bought the other two after I sent my gift, guess she found something she liked a little better.

The mother is one who will change the baby from one pretty outfit to another because she loves dressing the baby up in pretty clothes.

She bought 2 gorgeous dresses for her birthday, each one more expensive than anything I own and she had one her for before the cake and then cleaned her up and she had an after the cake. One was covered in delicate embrodery work which she had to have custom made.

But she specifically told me she needed a Christmas dress then bought 2 herself.

THe beautiful pink one was ridiculously priced but the mother picked it out herself and I paid for it. That was last spring. At least the one time she wore it I got pictures of her in it. I understand her outgrowing it and am glad she got to wear it once anyway.

I agree with everything you say - sometimes grandma's like me send more than they will ever wear but I've only bought clothes on a few occassions, once when my daughter-in-law picked it out (the pink one) and had to have it and once when she said she needed a Christmas dress.

I've told my son - keep track of every outfit you get for gifts and make sure you send the sender a picture of her wearing it. Even if she only wears it once. It makes the sender feel good.

I'm afraid to spend money buying clothes when we are together becuase she may find something she likes better and the dress that I've paid $30 or $40 for won't be worn.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Henri Jean

if that's the case, it doesn't sound like she NEEDS the clothes at all,,,,

when we went to my MIL's house, I always made sure my kids were wearing an outfit she bought them,,,,

sounds like simple ingratitude to me.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to CommaHolly

Henri, I agree with Holly then. Sounds like she's ungrateful or so disorganized she doesn't know what she has.

Yep, save your money. Sorry she hurt your feelings.

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Okay let’s be clear: I never said that B&W ruins EVERY layout. All I meant was that I have seen it used in some layouts where it didn’t seem to fit the color scheme. Think of this: say, for example, that you absolutely LOVE a particular cut-out of rainbow colored balloons. So, since you love it so much, you want to use it in every layout. Some of the time it works, and looks great! But then sometimes the rainbow balloons will look awkward and out of place, because it doesn’t fit with the rest of the layout. That is what I mean about B&W photos: that it doesn’t always fit into the layout.

I have seen so many people say that scrapping is an art so there are no rules. But honestly, there are rules to every type of art!
In pen or pencil drawings you have to use contrast, dark and light / shadow and highlights so that the picture doesn’t look flat.
In paintings you have to paint the background first, then work your way to the foreground.
In sculptures you have to create a balance so that the piece doesn’t topple over and fall.

And the first rule I learned about scrapping was to glue last!
Over time, I’ve learned other rules, too. Like the best places to put your photo so it captures the eye first (This one was actually in the scrapbook.com 25 scrap lessons emails!) Or, how to use layers to make the page more interesting. I learned to keep with a consistent color scheme through the page and so on and so forth. I know a lot of you use these same rules (whether you consider them “rules” or not) because I see these reoccurring techniques in others’ work.

Anyway, I’m done arguing the point and defending myself from strangers. Because the latest rule I’ve learned is NEVER, under any circumstances, critique anything on Scrapbook.com!
I sincerely hope you all have a great day!
Cheers

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

To me the joy about this art is that I don't have to follow any rules cause I'm the only one I need to please with my layouts. I may not like everybodies layouts but that doesn't mean they did it wrong. It's all a matter of taste.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• meshell1104 Said:
Okay let’s be clear: I never said that B&W ruins EVERY layout. All I meant was that I have seen it used in some layouts where it didn’t seem to fit the color scheme. Think of this: say, for example, that you absolutely LOVE a particular cut-out of rainbow colored balloons. So, since you love it so much, you want to use it in every layout. Some of the time it works, and looks great! But then sometimes the rainbow balloons will look awkward and out of place, because it doesn’t fit with the rest of the layout. That is what I mean about B&W photos: that it doesn’t always fit into the layout.

I have seen so many people say that scrapping is an art so there are no rules. But honestly, there are rules to every type of art!
In pen or pencil drawings you have to use contrast, dark and light / shadow and highlights so that the picture doesn’t look flat.
In paintings you have to paint the background first, then work your way to the foreground.
In sculptures you have to create a balance so that the piece doesn’t topple over and fall.

And the first rule I learned about scrapping was to glue last!
Over time, I’ve learned other rules, too. Like the best places to put your photo so it captures the eye first (This one was actually in the scrapbook.com 25 scrap lessons emails!) Or, how to use layers to make the page more interesting. I learned to keep with a consistent color scheme through the page and so on and so forth. I know a lot of you use these same rules (whether you consider them “rules” or not) because I see these reoccurring techniques in others’ work.

Anyway, I’m done arguing the point and defending myself from strangers. Because the latest rule I’ve learned is NEVER, under any circumstances, critique anything on Scrapbook.com!
Cheers

but there are different ways to contrast,,,,,,different ways to show shadow and highlight.

I don't honestly think you meant any harm,,,,but to be fair, put yourself in someone else's shoes,,,,,

do you know how many times I've watched people say "why do people put so much junk around a single picture? it looks awful!"

well, in THEIR opinion it DOES look awful,,,,in MINE, it does NOT.

I saw someone once call flower filled LO's "Prima sneezes",,,,,,and suggest all someone did to create these LO's is to toss flowers in the air and glue them where they fall,,,,

there's nothing further from the truth,,,,,,,sometimes HOURS are spent finding or making the perfect flowers,,,,,,arranging and re-arranging, etc.

so although I understand your right to an opinion,,,,,please understand the hurt that some people might have felt.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• meshell1104 Said:

Cheers

Perhaps the rule you might like to remember is that critique isn't usually welcome unless it's asked for.

If you want to start a nice, interesting and friendly discussion you might consider how you phrase your thoughts and questions so it doesn't sound like "What a lot of you do looks awful to me!! Discuss."

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to scrappercaz

Plus, I've noticed that when you get on here and ask for people's opinion, you usually get it. LOL!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Specifically, if you're going to put in your post a line like this:
  • meshell1104 Said:
Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I crazy for thinking that a great layout can be ruined by a B&W photo?

...if you're going to outright ask questions like that, you really should be prepared for answers from all over the spectrum of agreement, including answers exactly the opposite of what you're hoping for.

This seems to happen every few months, someone posting a provocative question with the expectation that everyone will agree with them, and it always ends similarly to this... often with the OP claiming they are done with us and these forums.

In short, if you don't want answers like that, don't ask questions like that.

tellabling
New Kid On the Block
tellabling

I love B & W and Sepia tone photos. I use them most when I want a vintage look in my projects.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to SherylEb

What a coincident to find this thread...I just today was fooling around with a photo of my dd and tried b/w and I really like it better that way so printed it up. It looks more dramatic.
And I printed out a pic of my other dd in sepia ..it was taken at Christmas but I didn't want the emphasis on Christmas so I tried b/w..didn't like it and tried sepia and love it...scrapped it that way.
It's a matter of taste or as Lisa said sometimes making a fuzzy color photo black and white improves its clarity.
I think b/w looks great with pastels or bright colors...not too much browns and beiges.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Specifically, if you're going to put in your post a line like this:
  • meshell1104 Said:
Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I crazy for thinking that a great layout can be ruined by a B&W photo?

...if you're going to outright ask questions like that, you really should be prepared for answers from all over the spectrum of agreement, including answers exactly the opposite of what you're hoping for.

This seems to happen every few months, someone posting a provocative question with the expectation that everyone will agree with them, and it always ends similarly to this... often with the OP claiming they are done with us and these forums.

In short, if you don't want answers like that, don't ask questions like that.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

MaryScraps
New Kid On the Block
MaryScraps

meshell1104,

The reason varies for why people scrap in B&W.

It may be the picture was not in color to begin with.

The colors in the photo may be distracting to what is happening in the photo. Or distracting of focusing on the subject in the photo.

So, it is a method of of bringing focus to the person or what they are doing in the photo.
Rather then being distracted by the colors going on in the photo.

For example someone may be wearing a green shirt and pants. Let's say the photo was taken outside with a green lawn and foilage in the background.
It creates a washout of the subject in the photo. If you want to bring the subject into focus in the photo you would need to change the photo to B&W because their clothing blends to much with background colors. Therefore losing the reason you took the photo in the first place at capturing a moment to be remembered.

You may also have several subjects in the photo that are wearing clashing colors. Then it just looks awkward. So this would be another reason to change the photo to B&W. Because you want to capture the moment and the clashing colors distract from that moment.
But, then again it may be the whole purpose of the photo on how everyone's clothing clashed at an event. Then you wouldn't want to go with a B&W print.

I went through the gallary here to get ideas of how people are using colors with B&W. I think everyone has done a wonderful job chosing their colors to compliment and draw focus to the B&W photo's and the subjects in them.

So it is not persay a rule or trend but a method of presenting and bringing into focus the subject or subjects in the photo's.

HTH
~Mary~

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to MaryScraps

I've seen more arguments FOR scrapping in B&W with colour embellishments in this thread than objections to it. I love all these ideas - I might have another go at it.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to RedSquirrel UK

This is the photo I changed to b/w. The one I turned to sepia is in my gallery called BFF. I love color photos but sometimes I just like something different...this photo to me begged to be changed to b/w. My dd likes it.

Cherish (Swirlydoos) By Dollscrap

Page 3 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics