Page 1 of 20 
Username Post: Healthy Living        (Topic#1584841)
flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

Some of us in another thread were talking about diet and exercise and thought maybe we would try to revive a topic that has been on here before.

Are you dieting or just trying to be healthier? I would like for this to be a place where we could share thoughts, struggles, recipes and encouragement. This is not a contest to see who can lose the most, but a safe place to share. You don't have to give your weight, but if you'd like to post your successes it would be wonderful.

I'll share little about myself to start. About 4 years ago, I lost about 80 lbs. I was not at my goal weight, but I felt so good and had so much more confidence in myself. I kept it off for the most part until last year. For some reason, my mind just switched off, and I've gained over half of it back. I'm so tired of feeling like I do now, so I'd like to get back in the groove of eating right and exercising. I do have an issue now with my foot so I can't do all the walking I was doing. I've got to try to come up with alternatives to walking in order to burn calories.

Please feel free to join in any time!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to flintridgescrapper

Hi Judy!
This is great!
I have kinda the same story as you.
I lost 35 pounds and kep it off for a little over 3 years and then I had a bit of "drama" and "heartache" in my life that made me so depressed I gave up on my fitness. I gained 12 pounds of it back and I have been feeling really disgusted w/ myself. This of course leads me to be more depressed and then I eat...etc...etc... you know one of those vicious cycles.

Well Friday, after 7 months of not exercising I decided to get off my lazy butt and at least do 10 mins on my elliptical... I figured it was better than nothing, right? Well 10 mins turned into 15 and 15 turned into 20 and finally I stopped after 30 mins! And I felt so good after. So good, in fact that I did another 30min that night!
So after 7 months of no activity I exercised for 1 hour in one day. Funny thing is, the next day I felt so skinny! LOL! All in my head, I know! But I guess I just felt so proud of myself for actually doing something to get back in shape that it carried over in confidence.
I had forgotten how great it felt to exercise!!!
I am looking forward to more of those days!

Ooops!
Sorry I didn't mean to ramble on so much, LOL!

Edited by Doreena on 02-03-13 03:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-03-13 04:50 PM
In response to Doreena

Hey Judy! Thanks for starting the thread

I've been on a diet with my hubs for the past 3 weeks, but we kind of fell off the wagon last week. It was our anniversary and we had a lot of other stuff going on, so we pretty much ate bad the entire week. But we're back on it starting tomorrow. My goal is to lose about 50 lbs give or take. I hadn't been exercising... truth be told I HATE to exercise. But I do like to walk so I take walks during my breaks at work and I'm going to try to add in a little exercise here and there.

I normally go straight to the "general" forums and forget to check all the other forums, so if I seem like I flaked out here feel free to kick my butt

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Doreena

My word, Doreena, an hour? Girl, that's great! Keep it up.

Jarvae, I HATE to exercise too. When I was losing weight, I mainly just walked. That was the only thing I could do consistently. Then I got Plantar fasciatis (sp?) and now some mornings, it's all I can do to get out of bed and walk. The dr. gave me some stretches to do and I'm wearing a boot at night, hoping to get to where I can walk again. There is lots of hills around my house, and I was getting into pretty good shape just simply from walking.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

Thanks, Judy!
Yeah, I was pretty proud of myself.

I hear Planters hurt!!!! Hope it gets better soon!
Just remember any amount of exercise, no matter how little, is better than nothing!

Good luck!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Doreena

Jarvae- I hate exercising too! But after a few months of being 12 lbs heavier, my clothes not fitting, and having no energy I decided I don't hate it much as I hate the way I feel about myself! Good luck to you and your hubby!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Doreena

BTW - just got off the elliptical about 30 mins ago. This time I did 40 straight minutes!

Edited by Doreena on 02-03-13 06:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to Doreena

Hello ladies can i join this thread. My name is Shatema. Once I had my daugther three years ago i kept on the weight that I gained. I am looking to lose about 40 pounds to get to my ideal weight. I just recently got back into the gym and am doing zumba at the gym to

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to babigirl

Doreen yay for doing 40 minutes on the eliptical

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to babigirl

Hey, y'all, count me in!
I have a similar story as y'all, last year I lost 48 pounds, then the brain tumor brought everything in my life to a screeching halt. I still had about 30-35 more pounds to lose before I became so ill, and now I have gained back about 20 of what I lost. Yikes!
I hate to exercise, but do walk my furbaby as often and as far as I can, I'll keep doing that until the weather begins to get too warm for me. Then I guess I'll have to figure out another plan of action.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-03-13 08:48 PM
In response to chocolateaxel

Ok well I'll make you girls a deal... I'll go do SOME form of exercise tomorrow for 30 minutes. Then we'll see from there. LOL.

For me, diet is the most important part. I can work out like crazy but still not see any major improvement unless I watch my food VERY carefully. I have to log my food and count calories and be totally OCD about it. But that's always when I see my results. If I am logging, I always seem to be losing weight. As soon as I stop logging, my weight goes up (like this week, for example).

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to chocolateaxel

Judy, Ive used those words independently of each other but dont really know what they mean together.....

Ive actually lost 26 lbs since August, but its all been from stress....stress about a kid in college who wasnt doing well, stress from a tempestuous relationship with my BF, stress about my job and money worries...I simply forget to eat. Or I have such a knot in my stomach that I cant eat. I eat a half portion at dinner (to appease Bf and the kids) and then put my plate in the sink right away. I also work night shift and dont eat breakfast. I have coffee around 10-11am when I wake up for the day and nothing til dinner. Very little at night. Its not healthy but all of my jeans are loose, and I have to wear a belt to keep from losing them. I actually feel pretty good. But I now need to get the exercising back in. Im only 10 lbs from my lightest/fittest weight of my life, but need to tighten everything. And we're in the middle of a deep freeze here in PA now so walking/jogging is OUT.

I do have a cobweb collector (eliptical machine) in the basement but honestly, its dark, and damp and icky in the basement and I dont like to go down there. And I cant get it back UP the stairs to move it elsewhere. It took 3 men and a boyscout to get it down there in the first place!

Ill follow along when I can and offer you guys encouragement, and maybe we can wait the awful winter out and motivate each other!

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to ScrappyMama6

I was telling my Hubby that we ( or I) needed to get back to the gym, I hate how my clothes fit, I will stay in workout pants and a tee all day every day but Im not even working out,,LOL,,I hate to put on jeans, cause I feel like they don't fit right anymore,,I would like to lose 20 to 30 by June.

Wishing everyone here lots of luck and lets get moving with some form,,any form of excercise.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to armygirl

Hey Judy, I'm in too. I'm not a huge amount over. Maybe 10 pounds? But I hope I can still play?

I stood on my scales a week ago after a blow-out weekend, food-wise, and I was shocked to see I was heavier than I have ever been. I'm only 5'3" (nearly) so those extra pounds show. And my jeans were uncomfortable around the bottom and thighs, but I have a small waist so if I go up a size, they fall down. So the change has to be in me.

I started that day - Monday last week. I follow the Blood Type Diet and I know that if I go heavy on the protein, veggies and fruit and light on the carbs and dairy, I lose easily. I am allowing myself 2 "dirty" meals a week, and one sin a day - usually a bit of chocolate in the evenings after dinner.

I had a disciplined week until Friday which is our usual pizza night. Then I had a Chinese meal out with friends on Saturday. Then I got home and found that DH had had a rotten day (got his car hit) and only wanted comfort food, fish and chips, for dinner. What's a girl to do? Sunday wasn't too bad.

This morning was my week #1 weigh-in. I wasn't confident, but I'm 2.5lbs down. That's a healthy loss, right?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-04-13 07:19 AM
In response to RedSquirrel

Nice job Rosey Sounds healthy to me, but everyone is different... it depends on how much you have to lose to start with. But good for you for getting back on it right away!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to RedSquirrel

Wow...so good to so many of you guys here!

Rosey, 2.5 lbs???? I'll take that any week. Way to go. Tell me about the Blood Type diet. I've heard of it, but haven't really seen any details.

Teresa, it's good to see you. It's good to lose the weight, but boo to the stress that caused it!

Sylvia, I know what you mean. Since I don't work outside of the house full time, it's easy to wear my pj's most of the day because they fit, and that's so comfortable. My boss had me shirts made with our logo on them for when I do work at town, and they don't fit. I'm embarrassed to tell him, so I just told him I wanted to dress warmer this winter (which I do, but that's not the only reason!) I'll have no excuse when it warms up though.

Darla & Shatema, so good you guys are here.

Jarvae, I may not get in the full 30 minutes, but I will do some moving tonight after work!

Edited by flintridgescrapper on 02-04-13 07:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Diva

AFter my surgery on May 1st when they found Colon cancer Stage IV, I lost 37 pounds. WIth chemo I didn't get sick by my eating habots changed. I hate excersising unless I go to a gym, but even that I have to fight myself for not wanting to go. I don't diet but I have to omprove my eating habits if I want to conquer cancer from my life! I have in my plan for a healthier living to buy a juice maker so I can have natural stuff more often. I don't eat meat, but salmon, tuna or tilapia. Mainly fruits and vegetables, try to keep rice intake low, but love bread and pasta! Now, that I can finally taste food, I am eating more, but so afraid to gain the weight that I lost! I paid a big price to lose that weight...I don't want it back! LOL!!!! Good luck ladies!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to bayamonesa1

Bay, definitely not a good way to lose weight! I bought a juicer right before Christmas, thinking I would really get on that kick. Well, obviously I haven't or I wouldn't be so desperate now!

Oh my word, I just looked in my lunch pail. DH works nights so I fix his lunch and then when I have to work the next, I have most of my stuff ready, and he'll just put together in my pail, fix my drink, etc. This morning, he said, "Is this all?" I had tried to fix myself a smaller lunch, and he didn't think it looked like enough. Now when I lost weight before, I didn't really cut out much completely. I would still have dessert, but it would just be a tiny portion. I would stop when I was full, and therefore, ate lots less calories. So anyway back to today, I had put in one of those little powdered donuts for dessert (that sounds ridiculous I know on a health living thread, lol!). It was little bitty, so I thought it would give me just enough sweet to satisfy. I now have 2! I haven't said anything about trying to cut down again, so I guess he just thought I would starve to death without another donut! Gotta love that man!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-04-13 08:13 AM

Sometimes you just need a little treat My hubs bought me a bag of dove promises dark chocolates and I have one of those each day as my little treat

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Vae

I'm the kinda person that if I indulge, even just a little I want the whole bag, so I ONLY indulge if I am really, really, REALLY craving it!!!!! And if I do indulge, I will just have to remind myself to put in some extra time on the elliptical!!!

Page 1 of 20 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics