Username Post: Healthy Living        (Topic#1584841)
tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Besneys

I've been interested in mashed cauliflower, I just haven't looked up a recipe or how to make it. Roasted cauliflower sounds good to me. We made kale chips once and they came out soooo good, too! I need to get some nice fresh produce this weekend!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to tanyaham

Yes, roasted asparagus is good...you can try it with balsamic vinegar sprinkled on top afterwards and a little shaved parmesan cheese...

Another great way to cook broccoli, is to pan fry it in a little olive oil and garlic just until tender crisp....then at the end, grate a little lemon zest on it and squeeze a bit of lemon juice over it, toss...salt & pepper....YUM!

Congratulations to everyone that did well this week...I usually weigh in on Mondays and I am NOT looking forward to this week! I was not good! I ate chips and dip, dessert several nights this week, etc....
Oh well, back on the wagon tomorrow!

Alison

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to kiyawinn

Hello All!
I didn't log any of my foods over the weekend, and didn't worry about what I ate. I didn't do terribly, even passed up the Girl Scout Cookies we bought a few weeks ago! I didn't exercise either, need to go for my walk this afternoon, then get back to mornings.
Today I will have some downtime at work, so I'm going to plan out some meals for this week and next. Actually looking forward to being in better shape this summer at the lake (motivation)!!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to tanyaham

Good morning! I didn't do the greatest on Saturday, but I got back to it yesterday. I'm not going to stress when I don't do so hot, just as long as I do good the next day. Exercise is something that I have to start doing. It's so hard to get back in the habit when you've been out of it for so long!

What do you eat for breakfast? I'm quickly getting tired of oatmeal. I would like to find some good healthy recipes for breakfast.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-18-13 06:07 AM
In response to tanyaham

Good morning, ladies!

I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend!

My weigh in this morning was alright, considering everything that’s been going on. I didn't gain, at least, but I didn't lose. But we finally got a car on Saturday. Tonight hubs is going to the store to pick up some healthy food items. I am interested in trying the roasted veggies, but I honestly don’t know what it means to roast something. What is the difference between roasting and baking?

I have 2 goals for today. Well, one is for today and one is for the week. Today, my mini goal is to work out a little. I have my gym clothes with me… I might try to do a bit during lunch or else after work. We did not clean at ALL this weekend so I have to get the dishes done while the hubster works out so that he can cook dinner right away. But I also have a bunch of laundry to do and I have GOT to get to bed earlier tonight. Ok make that 2 goals for today. To get some exercise and to get to bed early tonight. You could go to China with the bags I have under my eyes.

My week-long goal is to try this no dairy thing. I have a really hard time with this because hubby likes cheese so much and uses it in a lot of what he cooks. Plus, I’m horribly addicted to ice cream. It’s bad. So I’m gonna let myself eat whatever I want as long as it’s not dairy. Maybe that will help clear up my eczema so I can come hang out at Tanya’s lake house this summer!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-18-13 06:10 AM
In response to Vae

Judy, ok this is going to sound sad but I was so desperate for breakfast this morning. I grabbed a bowl from home and a carton of egg beaters and just microwaved some and ate them plain. They have flavored egg beaters...the southwestern ones are pretty good. I usually add some of the precooked Jummy Dean turkey sausage crumbles and some chopped green bell pepper, but I didn't have any of those things in the house this morning.

Tonight, we will make a healthy crustless, dairy free quiche. We will probably just add eggs, some chopped broccoli or whatever greens we have, some chopped turkey ham, and toss it in the oven for an hour. Then I portion it out into containers for each day. It usually makes 6 portions which lasts us both 3 days. Back when we were doing that once a week, we were both losing a lot of weight fast.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Vae

Now that you mention it, I really don't know the difference between roasting and baking - but then again, I am not a cook. I watch some shows on Food Network and all, but I have seldom succeeded in the kitchen without a box ... LOL When I roast my asparagus, I line my baking sheet with foil, put my asparagus in (after snapping off the ends), drizzle a tiny line of olive oil across the top, then a pinch of sea salt, then rub them all around to coat them. I do 450 for 20 minutes, unless they're big stalks, then I just check them every few minutes until they're to my tender liking. I've done eggplant too, and it came out creamy and nice (but you have to salt it beforehand to get the bitterness out, and I wonder about using so much salt). I really want to try cauliflower and broccoli next!

I don't think I could ever do dairy free. I love cheese, yogurt, ice cream and milk too much.

Judy, I eat oatmeal quite a bit, but I also really like egg beaters. I sometimes put a tablespoon of salsa in with them. Or, I'll do 2 egg whites, 1 regular egg if we don't have egg beaters. I also have a recipe that I used to make on Sundays for french toast using egg whites and a tiny splash of vanilla and cinnamon with wheat bread. It's actually really good! I would have that with some egg beaters and a couple of pieces of turkey bacon for my "big Sunday breakfast" back when I was on my strict diet. BUT, I am one of those people who eat "real" food all the time, even for breakfast. Hubs has laughed at me for eating hot wings or Chinese leftovers for breakfast! One of my favorite breakfasts (had it this morning), is a fajita-size tortilla, 1.5oz canned chicken, a tablespoon of shredded co-jack cheese, half of a Taco Bell mild sauce packet. Heat for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. It's filling, has protein, and it's not horrible on calories. I usually have that, then some fruit later in the morning.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-18-13 06:39 AM
In response to tanyaham

Tanya, the chicken wrap sounds sooo yummy! We are supposed to be doing a primal diet which means nothing bread-related, but I kind of think that's extreme for me. I love the low carb tortillas and I think I might try that tomorrow for breakfast.

I also eat regular non-breakfast food for breakfast. I think the typical breakfast foods are just too limiting. I'll eat leftovers a lot. One thing I also like is to add steak or bbq or whatever to my egg beaters and add a tiny bit of bbq sauce. I never thought bbq sauce went well with eggs till I had it at Sonic in a breakfast burrito. Now it's one of my favorites.

cutencrafty
Diva
cutencrafty
In response to Vae

For breakfast I either eat eggs whites (because I don't like yolks) and an english muffin or a bowl of cereal it's usually Cinamon Rice Chex.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to cutencrafty

I have to share this with you guys ...

One of my girlfriends is a loveable airhead. Seriously! She has a necklace with her name on (she was a big Sex in the City fan) and it's constantly backwards. When I've mentioned it to her, she looks in the mirror and it looks right to her, so ... yeah, she's just goofy like that, and I love her dearly! Anyhow, she's been posting about doing C25K and I didn't realize what it was! It's Couch to 5K, a helper to get you back to running - it'll have you running 30 minutes in 9 weeks (or a 5K).

I checked it out, and there's a treadmill version. It doesn't seem too crazy, or something that I wouldn't be able to do, even if I modified it a little to stretch it out to 12 weeks, as in doing a little less in the first couple of weeks or so, to get myself ready easier. I figure if my friend can do it, there's NO reason I can't do it!! And, it seems like this will help me get back to running much easier and faster than I thought I could!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-18-13 01:46 PM
In response to tanyaham

I tried that C25K once... lol. I have a t-shirt that says "exercise: some motivation required" and shows a person being chased by a t-rex. that pretty much sums up how I feel about running. But I keep wanting to try it again because I need to be able to run "when the zombies come". LOL.

There are several apps for it, including some that have music that syncs up with where you are in the program. I might try to start this again. Mebbe...

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Vae

I have a friend that did that program and it really worked for her! I guess I did it on my own since I worked up to 3 miles by myself--
I usually have granola for breakfast.
I did very well this weekend, even with company. I weighed today and I am now down 5 lbs and am back into 170's from 180's YEAH!!! That was one of my goals!
The beautiful weather is helping because I am spending a lot of time outside working in the yard. I am working right through lunch time and drinking more water while working!
I am pumped and ready to lose some more!

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to terrihooper

I love Weetabix for any meal but usually have them for Breakfast.. not had weigh in this week, lovely sister in law had surgery for breast cancer this week so everyone is out of sorts, poor girl one breast off and lumpectomy on other one...I've been walking more though. I think my problem is lack of exercise more than what I eat, I always cook "real food" not very often we have a takeaway for luch I have omlette which I find filling enough but then after my evening meal I mooch around trying NT to eat which makes it worse and I end up eating potato crisps or anything not nailed down... although we are having a party on Easter Sunday for my 60th birthday so I'm giving the house a really good clean, not that its dirty but you know what you're like when certain visitors descend on you . Back to work now Take care all xxx

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Besneys

Jarvae, I've seen that shirt, and love it! I'll have to look into the apps with music synced, that sounds like something I would LOVE!

Last night we had some unexpected things come up, and dinner ended up being take out Chinese, which is what my lunch will be today as well. Because of the last minute stuff, I went home instead of the gym. And even getting to bed much later than I wanted to, vowed to go to the gym this morning and start my version of C25K. Hubs woke me up panicked that his alarm hadn't went off, and he was already 30 minutes late. Which means it was already too late for me to get to the gym. Ugh ... I figured I would go tonight, then remembered I have to go back to the dentist this afternoon. So ... maybe the stars will align for me, and I'll get to bed at a decent time tonight, without my jaw hurting, and I'll get back on track tomorrow!

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to tanyaham

Hello ladies sorry I haven't been around to talk to you yall.

I joined sparkpeople to try to lose some weight and to live healthier.

Also found out what was causing my headaches i suffer from migraines thats y i have had been in so much pain.

I have given up caffiene (one of he triggers for my headaches) Also i am trying to give up junk food (my choice)

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to babigirl

Hi, ya'll! I'm so glad you all are doing so well.

Shatema, there's nothing worse than a migraine, so I'm glad you've found what one of the triggers are!

I just got back from the grocery store. I picked up some egg beaters and some of those precooked sausage crumbles. I looked everywhere before I finally found them! Those look really good! I also got a low carb tortilla, and I bought a bag of the frozen chopped bell peppers, onions & celery. I thought that would be quick to take a little out & add to the eggs. That's what breakfast will be in the morning.

My weigh-in isn't officially until Thursday, but I'm stoked because I weighed this morning and in less than 2 weeks, I'm down 6 lbs! I'm like Terri...I'm ready to lose some more!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to flintridgescrapper

Anne, so hope you sil recovers quickly!

Jarvae, I LOVE that shirt. Here's a link to one I thought was cute too! http://skreened.com/glamfoxx/exercise-for -bacon

Besneys
Guru
Besneys

Thanks Judy sil came home lst night so is sleepy today xx

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-19-13 12:00 PM

Hi everyone!!

Terri, You ROCK!! WTG!!! Congrats on the success!

Anne, I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL. She's lucky to have a SIL like you to support her.

Tanya I hope everything is okay! We had kind of a rough night too and didn't make it to the store. Hopefully we'll make it tonight.

Shatema, welcome back! I get migraines too from time to time. Glad you were able to figure out what the trigger was.

Judy, WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! You GO girl!! That shirt is hilarious!

Just checking in real quick. Yesterday I was pretty good most of the day. I went to the grocery store and hit their salad bar and just grabbed healthy veggies - no dressing. I did add a little pasta salad. I love orzo pasta! Then semi-healthy dinner. But then I had ice cream I couldn't help it.

This morning I was running late. Totally starving by 9 am because I had no breakfast. I got in my car to go to McDonald's. But on the way there I talked myself into going back to the store instead and getting some sausage crumbles and low carb tortillas and salsa

babigirl
Governor
babigirl

Yay Judy for losing weight.

I will weighed in last night i weighed in at 202 i got a longs way to go

Edited by babigirl on 03-20-13 10:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics