Username Post: Pictures of layouts        (Topic#1584873)
SarahJo83
New Kid On the Block
SarahJo83

How do people take such nice pictures of their layouts? Every time I try it always seems like the layout is so far away. Anybody have suggestions?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SarahJo83

Using natural light (like direct or indirect sunlight) with no flash while standing directly over it is common.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I always use the cropping tool to cut off the outside junk and that really helps.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

I take my photos in natural light standing directly over the page (being careful not to cast shadows!). I don't like using a flash.
Sometimes it helps if the layout is on a table in front of a window with good light.
I usually take the pic in the macro setting and then I crop, adjust lighting if necessary, and sharpen in Picasa or PSE.....

Alison

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to kiyawinn

ali edwards has a post on her blog aliedwards dot com about this specific topic. I use her method.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Shutterbugg

I prop mine up on a turned-out binder (rings outside, one side flat on the desk, another propped upright from behind ) - gives a flat solid stand for the layout. OTT/natural white light nearby (not directly onto the page but reflected). set the camera to landscape mode, it will keep the entire layout in focus. shoot away. then fix everything in the editing software - straighten the edges, crop if needed, auto fix color and exposure, set neutrals (if shooting indoors in yellow light or if the whites seem off).

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to OlesyaK.

Use editing software to crop out the sofa/floor tiles/wallpaper/whatever adn to make sure the lighting is optimum.

Diva
In response to scrappercaz

Great tips. Thanks for sharing!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to bayamonesa1

When my flat-screen monitor is off (black), I prop my LO on the little lip at the bottom of the screen. The main thing I try to do is hold the camera so the top and a side are pretty straight with the sides of the lens viewer. This makes for less straightening in the editing.

A small tripod helps for steadiness, or use the self-timer camera function. Set it for 10 sec., then hold the camera and don't breathe :>) This gets away from the blur that can happen when the shutter button is pushed.

Then I crop, adjust lighting and whatever else is needed. I don't post many LOs just because once I'm done with the LO, I don't want to spend the time getting a good picture of it. Later I regret it and end out spending an hour or two taking pictures of a bunch of LOs. Even if I don't post them, I want them for my own files as back-up.~Judy

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to mrsdriver5

Natural lighting and a good photo editing program go a long way. I took a great online class that actually helped me out a ton. If you want the info just direct message me and I will give it to you.

Edited by thehappyscrapper8 on 02-06-13 01:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SarahJo83
New Kid On the Block
SarahJo83
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Hey All! Thanks for the wonderful tips and ideas!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics