Username Post: Scrapbook vocab        (Topic#1584904)
kerrmi 
New Kid On the Block

New to scrapbooking and im kinda confused with what things are. I look at beginners pages and what not but i still am not sure. For one what a cricut does exactly. A few other terms im pretty clueless about are embossing and die-cuts. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has examples of what this all looks like, too would be super great!
Thanks!!!

BoysKeoghMom
Veteran
BoysKeoghMom
In response to kerrmi

• kerrmi Said:
New to scrapbooking and im kinda confused with what things are. I look at beginners pages and what not but i still am not sure. For one what a cricut does exactly. A few other terms im pretty clueless about are embossing and die-cuts. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has examples of what this all looks like, too would be super great!
Thanks!!!

Hello Kerrmi,
A Cricut is a brand of electronic cutting machine that cutts images seleted from a cartrige. There are a few models. You can resize the images or fonts and cut from your desired paper.
Embossing can be dry embossing with a folder or a stylus that embeds an image into paper and causes a raised image. So a flat piece of cardstock now would have a raised design pattern or image. Try seaching Cuttlebug or Spellbinders.
It could be heat embossing which is the application of an ink usually versamark (clear, sticky and slow drying) and embossing powder (fine granuels of dry ink) then heated to acheive a raised shiny image. Usually its a stamped image. Die cuts are referring to images or shapes that are cuts from a die. Dies are run through a press like a Big Shot or Grand Calibur to cut the paper into the shape of the die used. They can also be prebought to match cetain paper collections.

Hope this helps...

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to kerrmi

Hi Kerrmi You've already gotten good answers to your questions. You might want to click on the Resources tab and then click on Tips and you'll see some helps. Also, maybe sign up for the free classes here on sb.com. Just click on the Classes tab. Youtube also has videos for most everything.

We all started from the beginning and it was probably overwhelming to all of us (still is for some of us ), so ask questions. You can also do a search of the forums to find answers to some specific items. I began by buying one new product every few lay-outs so I could try a new technique. Some worked...some didn't, but at least I'm slowly working my way through all the different ways of doing things, but not going broke by buying tons of one thing that I later decide I don't even like.

Hope to hear more from you~Judy

Diva
In response to mrsdriver5

I know the feeling...so much to learn! Now, at this iste you will always find answers and examples of almost everything related to scrapbooking. I do like this site a lot!

kerrmi 
New Kid On the Block
In response to bayamonesa1

Thanks everyone! One step at a time I guess!:-) and yes, this website is full of all kinds of good stuff!

Tenant
In response to kerrmi

I'm new to this also. I do have a Cricut but need SOOO much help.... Thanks for asking questions.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Homemaid

to see stuff made with the cricut, check out the challenges section here. there is one every month for using a cricut and we tell you what cart we used too. fyi, its enabling...

Diva
In response to Lamoo12

I was not aware of that forum...I will have to check it out!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics