Username Post: Help using chicken wire stencil        (Topic#1584923)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

Hi Everyone. I bought one of these stencils recently but now not really sure how to use it. I'm looking to achieve a look where the chicken wire is "raised" or looks 3D like in this layout. How on earth do I do that? Do I apply thick paint over the entire stencil? Or do I spray something over it? And then how do you clean the stencil afterward? Thanks for your help.

The Crafter's Workshop - 12 x 12 Doodling Templates - Chickenwire Reversed

Live a creative Life By Ro Philippsen

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Mama2Thomas

Most likely, molding paste was used. You can use a palette knife to spread it over the entire stencil and then lift it up. Then wash that stencil right away with dish soap and warm water.

THEN you can sand, paint etc the molding paste once it is dry. It takes a while.

Hope that helps!

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to Manda_K

I just did a lo using a brick stencil and i used gesso and an old giftcard to spread it around. then i misted with glimmer mist. gave some nice dimension. HTH

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Briannasmom

I use modeling paste or gesso. Misting works or you can mix paint with either modeling paste or gesso to get whatever colors you want.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to MrsAnnieS

go with gesso i have never used it but i am going to an expo and i am planning on buying a chicken wire and brick stencils so good luck nice question!!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to mindygail

Thank you all... very helpful tips

Diva
In response to Mama2Thomas

I lke the tips poffered here! Thank you for sharing!

Lain Ehmann
Tenant
Lain Ehmann
In response to bayamonesa1

Also think about whether you want the "wire" portion to be raised or the "negative" space to be raised. If you spread modeling paste over it, you're going to get the "negative' space raised.

If you want the "wire" raised, you could try rubbing the whole stencil in embossing ink. pressing it firmly on the paper, and then embossing in your choice of embossing powder.

LisaGregoryStarsailor
Diva
LisaGregoryStarsailor
In response to Lain Ehmann

I have both Crafters Workshop Chicken Wire Stencils. the Negative and the positive. A really thick molding paste will give you the raised look you want. But don't forget your mists chalks and paints...They all produce gorgeous results!!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to LisaGregoryStarsailor

I just ordered this stencil - will save the topic to browse for ideas later)))

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to OlesyaK.

Those stencils are great! Got a few meself. You can use 3D paste to make it raised. They also call it structure paste...

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to TheCharmedOne

Cleaning....btw....is done by rinsing it under the faucet with water...

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-08-13 07:29 PM
In response to TheCharmedOne

I have a crafter's workshop stencil and used clear embossing ink on it. Now I can't get it to come off. I tried rinsing it right away but it's very sticky. Has anyone else had this happen before?

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Vae

Did u try Undu? I use that stuff on everything. Clear embossing ink is supposed to be sticky by nature. Do u have a little rubbing alcohol you could try.

I believe I saw on a utube video, that Claudine Hellmuth or Dyan Reavely or one of the artists always cleans their stencils with just regular rubbing alcohol.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to SherylEb

Don't want to sound stupid, but I'm askin anyway. The chicken wire or the reversed chicken wire......if I was going to put paste medium ver it because I wanted it to really stick out like I had glued the wire on and painted it white. Which one would I need??

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to SherylEb

Shery you would need the reversed to get the wire to stand out.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Sneezy1956

Thanks Jane!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-09-13 04:25 PM
In response to SherylEb

Thanks Sheryl! I just used the rubbing alcohol and it worked like a charm! I'm so relieved. This stencil has lots of tiny little pieces that stick out and I was worried that I'd end up damaging them if I used a soapy sponge or anything because everything gets snagged on those tiny bits.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics