Username Post: Ballpoint pens        (Topic#1584935)
suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a ballpoint pen on my layout? I know most people don't and I never have, but I want to handwrite a lot of journaling in a very small space and it would be easier to use a ballpoint pen.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to suezhunt

I would be afraid it would fade over time depending on what kind you use.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to suezhunt

I use one like the one below (except in black)
It's waterproof and fade proof....maybe regular pens aren't good because overtime they can fade and/or bleed into the paper? (not really sure!)

Alison
Products Referenced in This Post:

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to suezhunt

I love using the micro-tip pens for journaling, but I wish they came in white. Seems dumb that they don't, but I've never found them. I like the micro-tip because I can get more journaling in a small space with the fine lines and they're archival/acid-free.

Another reason I like using these is because very little pressure is needed to get a good line, so I don't end out making indentations in my photos or pages.~Judy
Products Referenced in This Post:

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mrsdriver5

Regular ball-point pens are not acid-free, and being oil-based, after time they soak through the paper and spread. I've had photos which people have written on the backs of in ball-point pen, showing the writing through on the picture, ruining it. Such a shame.

Faber Castell make an extremely fine fibre-tip for micro-writing. I think it is marked as S for Superfine, then F for Fine which is thicker, then M for Medium, and B for Brush is the thickest. I have those in black and brown.

Making a very fine white pen would be a nightmare, since the pigment that makes it white is thicker than the darker colours. I would love to have one of those too.

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel

I don't use ball pens on my layouts. I like to usePigma Micron which archival ink from Sakura.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to bayamonesa1

The pen I referenced/linked in my post above is white....and works fine!
Also, Sharpie makes a water based paint marker, extra fine point that works really well on dark coloured papers.....

Alison

Lain Ehmann
Tenant
Lain Ehmann
In response to kiyawinn

Ballpoint pen ink will eventually eat through the paper and/or fade. Not a good idea if you're concerned about archival quality.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
The pen I referenced/linked in my post above is white....and works fine!
Also, Sharpie makes a water based paint marker, extra fine point that works really well on dark coloured papers.....

Alison

I have the Signa one too, and I love it. Mine is quite old now though, and although there is plenty of ink in it, it keeps drying out. The line it makes is not particularly fine, or not compared to the FC Superfine. I need to look out for the white Sharpie though because I haven't seen that one in Britain.

And OP, although it is a ball-point, it is archival safe. Regular biros are not.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

• RedSquirrel Said:
Regular ball-point pens are not acid-free, and being oil-based, after time they soak through the paper and spread. I've had photos which people have written on the backs of in ball-point pen, showing the writing through on the picture, ruining it. Such a shame.

Faber Castell make an extremely fine fibre-tip for micro-writing. I think it is marked as S for Superfine, then F for Fine which is thicker, then M for Medium, and B for Brush is the thickest. I have those in black and brown.

Making a very fine white pen would be a nightmare, since the pigment that makes it white is thicker than the darker colours. I would love to have one of those too.

Well geez-louise...they got a man on the moon! Surely someone could figure out how to make a fine-line white pigment ink pen

I use the Signo Uni-ball pen, but it's the Micron ones that I really like. I'll have to check-out the Sharpie super fine ones. ~Judy

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Yes, the Sharpie ones are actually paint.....I have one and it is beautiful!
Works wonderfully!

Alison

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to kiyawinn

I been using the uni-ball signo gelstick pens. I found them in my desk. They are fade and water resistant ink as well as acid free and archival quality. I use that or my white gel pen or my other black pens that are acid free and archival quality.

Jusite

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

• mrsdriver5 Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

Well geez-louise...they got a man on the moon! Surely someone could figure out how to make a fine-line white pigment ink pen

I use the Signo Uni-ball pen, but it's the Micron ones that I really like. I'll have to check-out the Sharpie super fine ones. ~Judy

Actually I just remembered, my white Signa pen takes on some of the colours underneath it. I've had it turn pink when I write on red and brown. Has anyone else had that?

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

I use regular finetip felt pens. We have this brand here, Stabilo, that have many colours and 2 thicknesses. I use the finer one. They are great to use for writing and also for sketching.

However, after watching YouTube video's of Rach0113, I want different pens aside for drawing. These uses these pens with a ballpoint tip but it looks as paint when she uses them.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics