Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: Marketing bad grammar and misspellings        (Topic#1584951)
Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to PDRNC

• PDRNC Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • stick Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
Downy Unstopables

I had to google this because it tweaked my brain so much ... and now I wish I'd never heard of it, lol.

I know!

Besides the fact that I don't like my laundry to SMELL, I would NEVER buy that product (because of the spelling).

When this product first came out, I sent an e-mail to the company. I may have copied/pasted their response in the Grammar Gurus thread. Their reasoning was pitiful.

Right. I remember! I think that's where I first heard about it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

Taco Bell tells you to have a taco-riffic day. It is even on their sign here. Taco-riffic?

Disney gets by with referring to everything as magical or magical but it getting old now with other companies jumping on the magical bandwagon.

Even Macy's tells you to have a magical day and its incorporated into their advertising.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-08-13 10:41 PM
In response to Henri Jean

Advertising is irritating, but I enjoy a fun play on words and I can't fault companies for trying to create a fun play on words. However stupid they may turn out to be. It's the things that are blatantly misspelled, have poor grammar or punctuation, or that completely ignore the rules of phonetics that drive me bonkers. Like "unstopables" (which continues to make my head spin).

This isn't a marketing word per se, but "chicest" makes me absolutely crazy. Especially if used in combination with the over-utilized 'bespoke.'. (Sorry, I'm also a fashion nerd!)

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to stick

I'm always irritated when something is marked as .99 cents. Awesome! Less than a penny!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to scraprabbit

I do the marketing for the company I work for and although this was not my idea, it drives me bonkers every year....

We do specials for the Twelve days of Christmas and then also for the days in between Christmas and New years. We call the in-between days "Tweeners". So every year I am asked by our sales people "Are we doing 12 days and tweeners this year?"

It also drives me nuts when people refer to their pre-teen kids as tweeners... they are 12 yrs old thank you!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Shutterbugg

Um. The days between Christmas and January 6th ARE the Twelve Days of Christmas. You call them Tweeners? I never heard of that before.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to RedSquirrel

Interesting! Scrapbook.com does their 12 days sales starting Dec. 1. We do ours so that the 12th day is Dec. 25 and on that day we send out our company christmas card instead of having a sale. So, Dec 26-Dec. 31 are our tweener days between Christmas and the new year.

I am guessing the 12 days of christmas you are referring to has some kind of religious connotation behind it, which is cool.

Our customers look for the 12 days sales to happen before Dec. 25, so I guess we are stuck with 12 days and tweeners!

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to Shutterbugg

When I was a teen, our youth group stayed at a hotel called Daystop, owned by Days Inn. We never did know whether to say it Day Stop or Days Top.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Mercy4Free

There's a TV station here that plays old reruns (ME TV). The slogan is "that's the way me likes it."

It grates on me every time I hear it!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm nit picking here:

Isn't it properly: "12 day's of Christmas"?

Possessive, because the days belong to Christmas?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
I'm nit picking here:

No, because "of Christmas" denotes possession, so you don't need the apostrophe.

Think of "David's eyes", or "the eyes of David". You wouldn't say "the eye's of David" would you?

Besides, your apostrophe would denote the possession of the days, rather than the possession of Christmas, which is not what is meant.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
I'm nit picking here:

No, because "of Christmas" denotes possession, so you don't need the apostrophe.

Think of "David's eyes", or "the eyes of David". You wouldn't say "the eye's of David" would you?

Besides, your apostrophe would denote the possession of the days, rather than the possession of Christmas, which is not what is meant.

I stand corrected.

But Valentine's Day should have an apostrophe!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

Abso-blinkin-lutely!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

There's a commercial running here at the moment which begins "bored of your mobile?"

Surely it ought to be "bored with"?

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-13-13 08:51 AM

Oh I hate it when people (and advertisers) use "of" instead of "too".

I saw a poster recently that said "You'r Invited". That was a new twist.

Edited by GMFTS on 02-13-13 08:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to GMFTS

Gallo Center for the Arts:

WE'RE OGRE-JOYED! SHREK THE MUSICAL IS COMING!

I saw this on face book and I think it is rather cute.

Diva
In response to laceyKat

Wow! You are really watching grammar issues. It is interesting and a truly learning experience reading this thread.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to laceyKat

• laceyKat Said:
Gallo Center for the Arts:

WE'RE OGRE-JOYED! SHREK THE MUSICAL IS COMING!

I saw this on face book and I think it is rather cute.

That IS cute.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Our local news last night said, "it is unseasonably warm for this time of year."

A bit redundant.

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to Bxr-Linda

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics