Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: New Products - Use Right Away or Save For Later        (Topic#1584975)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

Just a fun question:

I recently went to the Scrapbook Expo and bought a bunch of new releases. When I got home, I didn't really find a whole lot of pictures that will go well with these new purchases I seem to do that a lot and always have to save the new purchases for another day. No wonder I have so much stuff

Do you tend to use your new purchases right away or wait until the perfect picture comes along?

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-08-13 07:08 AM
In response to Mama2Thomas

A little bit of both. If I just bought something that has me all excited and inspired well that gets used but mostly I pick what I like and use it when I am ready for it.

I used to buy a lot for specific purposes - ie my kid's albums from their childhood, but I am just getting to work on those 8 years later.

It took me a few years to figure out that there is a pattern to the releases so even if I buy, say, a travel pp selection, there will just as likely be some next year that I like even better, so if I am not working on a travel book I will hold off.

It's the non-specific lines that I get in trouble with...oh so much trouble.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to GMFTS

I always save my new stuff for the perfect picture or project. I'm trying really hard not to do that anymore!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to cindy312

I vote for a bit of both as well.

I love new products so I am eager to use them...nothing like something fun, fresh, and new to inspire. However, I have been trying to use up my stash, so although I will use my new products, I wont use them exclusively. I may mix the new w/ the old or create a layout using all new, but then the next layout will be created w/ old items. If you think about it though, if you don't use them right away, they just become part of your stash and isn't that what we are trying to avoid?

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Doreena

I tend to hoard the new paper - unless I bought it for a specific project. not the same for the tools and/or embellies - I just got a new roll of tape and am using it everywhere! or a punch -love my punches, I'm more likely to reach for the recently bought one than for an oldie.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to OlesyaK.

oh yes, Oleysa...I forgot about products like punches... I use those right away!!! I was thinking more of paper items!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Doreena

Depends on the product, tools are usually bought because I finally had a reason to get them and wanted to use them right away. New papers and embellishments usually get horded away until I have the right photos or ideas.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to MrsAnnieS

Mostly if I buy something I can't wait to get it home and use it right now. If I don't use it quickly, it does go into the stash and get buried.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to RedSquirrel

what she said!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dollscrap

When I get something new I put it away as soon as I get home with it. New papers get merged in with the old.

When I'm working on a layout and go through the stack and whatever comes up as the perfect paper to go with my pictures or theme, that is what I used and I usually can't tell you if I bought it 2 months ago or 2 years ago.

I love diagonal strips and have hundreds of papers of diagonal stripes. I can't tell the old from the new, I just match my colors.

Travel stuff - I order all I want, even countries I have never visited and may never go. I buy it anyway. Just never know when I will need it!

I have a healthy stash and I like it that way. No desire to use it up. I just had delivered last week 30 boxes (60 rolls) of ATG tape. I can scrap for years and never have to buy a thing. I would not want to have to stop in the middle or at the start of a new page to go buy papers or ATG tape or anything - I want my own little store in here that is fully stocked.

So I guess my answer is I put it in my stash and when I have a picture in my hand to scrap - if it is the first one I come to that goes with it - then I use it.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Henri Jean

A little of both.

But, I only buy things I have something in mind for, or know I will eventually use. For example, I wouldn't buy anything with a basketball theme.

I also tend to buy solid colors and shy way from patterns or themes in paper and embellishments.

WVScrapThis
New Kid On the Block
WVScrapThis
In response to Bxr-Linda

Now, I'm using what I buy right away because I'm only buying items I need for the album I'm working on. When I reorganizaed a few months ago and found so much stuff I bought and don't really like anymore, or don't know what I'll use it for. It just seemed like a waste of money.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Bxr-Linda

Both....
If it's a tool, I usually want to try it right away. If it's paper or embellishments, I will often put them away to use when I need them. That stuff frequently gets merged with all my older stuff!
Sometimes, I order stuff for a particular project and it will get used right away.....Christmas papers to make Christmas cards, Valentine's/heart themed stuff for my son to make Valentine's....

Alison

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Mama2Thomas

I do both too. Sometimes they are are so inspiring that I make something right away. Most times I save it for later because I am not sure which pics I want to use.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-08-13 08:06 PM
In response to anda11

Depends on how pretty it is. The prettier it is, the less likely I am to use it. I know, that's terrible right? But if I really LOVE something I always want to save it for the PERFECT page. Now I'm trying to buy extras of those things... I don't feel so much pressure to 'save it' when I have more of it. Yes, my name is Jarvae and I am a hoarder.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

I do that too Jarvae - if I like it a lot I buy up to 10 sheets and then I'm comfortable using it whenever I want to. By the time I get down to the last sheet of it I'm getting tired of it and don't mind using it.

I don't buy anything sports themed because I just don't do or attend any sports - none of my immediate family does. If something comes up and I need sports stuff I will buy it then but that isn't likely to happen.

But travel stuff - or things I want to do - if I find diecuts or cool paper for it I get it. I"ve bought things for some pretty wild places and ended up going there. WHo would have thought I would ever use the paper I bought for Russia. When I wanted to go on an ALaska cruise several years ago I bought some stuff and I've used it. Now I'm using the Canada stuff I bought a whild back.

Silly but it works for me.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Henri Jean

I do both sometimes I use the product right away and other times I save it until I find the right photo for it!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to thehappyscrapper8

typically if it's really I use it right away....I have some of the new Bo Bunny that will be used soon isabella is the name just have to get the pictures developed.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sneezy1956

Oh, I use it immediately!!!! If it's a stamp, I start stamping right away,,,,if its flowers, I'm putting them on a card that day,,,,dies? gotta use them THAT DAY

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to CommaHolly

its OK to admit it jarvae we are all hoarders to a certain degree!!!
I am a bit of both for example last couple months ago I bought a tim holz configurations shadow box with 22 compartments to alter!!! Still in the wrapper unopened! I dont have the perfect paper yet! I saved my cherry blossom water color paper I got at micheals forever but we finally got a great pic of my daughter riding her bike for the first time and it matched so then I used it. I hoard I guess.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics