Username Post: Backpacked europe...where to begin??        (Topic#1584999)
New Kid On the Block

Hello all! I am somewhat experienced in scrapbooking, i made a few albums back in highschool in a blank journal that turned out pretty well. But i am stumped on how to begin my next project...

I spent 90 days backpacking 11 countries...26 cities and thousands of pictures later, i'm trying to figure out HOW to scrapbook these!! I've never done a digital album but am quite comfortable with photoshop. i guess let me lay out my questions...
- I think i would prefer to make a traditional scrapbook rather than assembling it all in PS or a snapfish book etc.
- do i just print all images a standard size and cut/paste as i go along? Or would it be wiser create the page layouts on the computer, print and add my embelishments??
- how do i choose an album?? All the albums ive seen say they hold like 20 pages...clearly i'm going to need more than that, even wtih collaging images on each page.

Sigh....so many options i'm unsure where to begin!! I kept a blog while i traveled too and i'm debating incorporating that in. Help please, where to begin!?

Edited by alison.grohe on 02-08-13 09:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to alison.grohe

Hi and welcome! Wow, what a wonderful trip!

I've had big holidays with thousands of photos and it is hugely daunting when you get home. My first advice would be not to scrap them all. Sounds obvious? Many people scrap everything!

I would start by organising your photos on the computer. File them by date and event so you can see by the folder name what they show. Then in each folder, create another folder called Print (or something similar) and move only the best photos from that event/place/day into it. Once you've condensed a day into just a handful of photos, it is much easier to plan your pages.

Tag or keyword those photos with Print. Then when it comes to printing your photos, you can do a search in your holiday folder for Print and it will come up with just those photos. You can then copy them easily onto a memory stick to take to the store for printing.

You might want to start a notebook with rough sketches and ideas for each theme. You might spot a paper pack with the perfect colours or theme. Or you might want to go shopping for individual papers to match particular photos.

Have you a home printer? If you're printing regular 6"x4" then it's cheaper to print them commercially, but odd sizes might be better printed at home.

Albums: Yes they come with 20 pages but I've added at least 10-15 more to some and they still hold up. It depends on how dimensional your pages are. Once you've got your pages planned, you'll have a better idea of the album. And you don't have to buy those till last if you don't want to. 3-ring binders are much easier for moving pages around, but they stick out more on the shelf and you have a gap between the two pages.

Does that help? I'm throwing a lot at you!

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to RedSquirrel

Hi Allison!

I'm in the same exact position (which I find quite remarkable)! I'm living in Germany for 10 months and I'm halfway through my time...4,030 photos later! Here is what my plan is (so far) and hopefully this will help!

Right now I plan on having two-three albums: One for my six weeks in Marburg (home to the Brothers Grimm) which will be fairy tale themed, One for the holidays and festivities I've partaken in in Germany, and one for the cities I've visited.

Be realistic about this, there's no way you'll be able to use every photo. What I've decided to do is do a general "24 hours in (place)" page with a few photos from each part of the day I was there. Then if there was something I visited within the place that I want to document more in depth (for example, the fountains in Kassel), then I'll do a more specific page.

I know that it is possible to stretch post bound albums (my cousin has one that's over 80 pages) but that can be difficult to manage, both in showing and in creating. Maybe for yours you could split the albums up by areas: for example, were you in Eastern Europe and Western Europe? Then you could do two separate albums focusing on each area.

I hope this helps, and please keep us updated on what you are doing! I'd love to be of help!
-Stephanie

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-09-13 04:34 PM
In response to SJB1120

You can also check out the Snap Load system. It replaces the posts in post bound albums and lets you add a lot more pages to the book. There have been other threads in the general forum for people who have done large trip and large wedding albums using these.
Products Referenced in This Post:

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to Vae

Jarvae! Those are what my cousin uses, they actually worked out really well for hers! I'm always a bit weary of using things that didn't come with the original purchase, but I may make an exception for these...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SJB1120

I come home from every trip with thousands of pictures and a 12 x 12 artbin of memorbilia.

The big key is to organize as I go. I put a yellow tablet in my artbin to make notes about the things in them if they aren't identified where they are from. From one cruise for 9 days to Russia, China (great wall, Beijing, Hong Kong, SHanghai and someowhere else) Vietnam, SIngapore, 3 places in South Korea, 4 in Indonesia and I can't remember where else, I had over 4,000 photos because I swapped with people on the ship.
I take several thumb drives with me to give copies of my pictures to other people and to get copies of theirs.
Every night on the ship I put 20 or 30 minutes aside to work on my photos and delete what I am not going to scrap and don't necessarily want to keep. The rest I put on a thumb drive of photos to print. By the time I get through with 4,000 I have about 1,000 left usually. (one time it was 1,800).

I do bite the bullet and take them to Walgreens as soon as I get home becuase they are sorted on the thumb and ready to print. I want it done so I can get them organized.

I go thorugh my pictures on my computer and there is a date with each one so I start physical hard files for each day or event using manilla file folders. Some days when we've seen a lot of things there may be 4 or 5 files.

The file has the date and event and place. Like the date, Indonesia, Temple at Borobudur, sights along the way.

Date, Indonesia, Temple at Borobudur - tour of temple

That goes on and on and I put the writing on the front of the file and I have files that are completely covered.

Once that is done I lay them on top of every table and surface in the house in order. Everything in the living room and dining room will sometimes be covered and all the tables in the house.

I take all the memorabilia and put it on top of the correct folder. I get my photos and they go on top of the correct folder. If I have patterned paper for that place or event, like a place or birthday or Christmas, it goes on top of the file folder too. If I have embellies I want to use - it goes on top of the folder.

Then I put everything into the folders and put the folders in order so that chorologically the first file is the oldest and needs to be scrapped first.

I put those in verticle files on my desk - I have two big sets that holds hundreds of files.

I start with the first file. I grab it - there may be one page in that file or it may be one that takes 5 or 6 pages. Doesn't matter. The paper if I know what I want to use, photos, embellies, memorabilia - everything is in the file so I don't have to do any more organizing. I even print out all my trip notes and put in the respective files so I know how much journaling I need space for.

So fast and easy to pull one file at a time, finish that file and go for the next.

My husband teases me becuase even with thousands of photos and pieces of memorabilia and other things, the night we get home from a trip it only takes me that one evening to get it all organized to scrap.

That is my advice. Get file folders, old ones are what I use and label the front according to pictures and things you have, put everything relevant in that file, whether it is for 1 page or multiple pages and then put them in order. You just grab one file at a time but there is no feeling of being overwhelmed.

I have 113 files lined up ready to work. I can sometimes get 8-10 pages done although I usually do 1 or 2 pages a day because I don't have to look for anything, I don't have to search for information. It is all in the files.

I never feel overwhelmed with this method.

I did before I figured out what worked for me.

I don't print all of the pictures but I do pick out the ones I want to print and do them right up front. Then it is done and I don't have to deal with printing pictures again.

WOrks for me. But I'm anal about organizing stuff so I enjoy this system.

Several others here have very similar systems.

There will be a lot of pictures I don't scrap. Those will go to my mother and other family members who might like some of them.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to Henri Jean

WOW Henri! I'm wicked impressed! I've really got to get my stuff organized when I get home, that is such a wonderful way of doing it!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to SJB1120

I did an album for my son when he worked/traveled in Europe. He kept a blog and I found papers that mimicked the colors of his blog. I printed each of his blog pages out and put them on layouts with matching photos. He kept his blog only while working, so for his additional travels, I did layouts with whatever papers I had handy (I didn't have the extra $$ for anything fancy). I even have one digital layout thrown in as that one was published online.

In hindsight, the things I would have changed is that I would have used less photos (he took tons), and instead put a DVD in the album that contained all of his photos. I would have also used a D-ring binder. Those weren't popular back then, so I had to use a post-bound album and I had to keep expanding the posts. That wasn't the best.

Tales From Europe, pgs 23-24 By Luvmyfam

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to Luvmyfam

First, DON'T SCRAP EVERY PHOTO!
(Sorry about the yelling...)
Find the ones you love, and print those, and then do a photo-album scrapbook. You can use one pocket on each page for paper, journaling, and the rest of the pockets for the majority of your photos.
For the photos you adore, make regular pages (12x12, 8.5x11, whatever) and tell more in depth stories there.
I'll have to find one of mine and upload pics to show you what I mean. Makes sharing lots of photos and stories much more do-able.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Hdubarry

At some point we all have to analyze why we scrap and that makes a big difference in how and what we scrap.

Many here are artists and they scrap the photos they want to be creative with and create beautiful pages. They use only their favorite photos and limit what they use. Its a great style.

But it isn't me. I scrap to document my trips. For that reason I do have to scrap nearly every photo or the vast majority of them. It's important becuase I tell the story of our travels and the places we visit. I journal - in fact way over journal becuase I want to remember everything. My granddaughter can use my scrapbooks as history books if she wanted to - they are that comprehensive.

I like it if one of my pages is pretty or creative but that isn't my goal. My goal is to document our trips as thoroughly as I can with as many pictures as I can. We are in our 60's so when we get older we will sit and spend evening with our books and relive our trips.

If I have 10 photos of the same statue I will pick out the best to print but I try not to leave anything out.

The photo album pages are nice. I had 8 pages of pictures in the King Tut museum in Seattle with lots of journaling explaining all the statues and artifacts that really interested us so we won't forget. I used photo pages for those and it worked well but I don't use them very often. But they are awesome.

I put the photo 12 x 12 photo pages in my scrapbook in order with the rest of the King Tut stuff - I scrapbook chronologically because it works for me.

I have an overwhelming set of scrapbooks - I think its 20 or 21 books with about 100 pages each! That is over 2,000 pages and I've only been scrapping our trips since we got married in 2009.

You just have to figure out why you scrap. If you scrap to document your trip and preserve every memory, then I personally would use ever photo I could unless it is a bad or blurry photo or too close to being a duplicate.
Obviously not 4,000 photos, but you will know which ones mean something to you and capture a memory you want to remember.

When I scrap my granddaughter I am very selective and just scrap my favorites to give a good sampling of her growing up.

But for my trips - I try to scrap every memory.
I scrap tons and tons of pictures of buildings and fountains and things that I'm not in love with but they tell the story of our journey.

You also have to look at the time you have to invest. I'm retired. When we aren't travelling, then its all I have to do everyday.

There are some wonderful scrappers here who scrap trips - pinkspoonbill and Elsje2 are both excellent and their galleries are loaded with examples using a lot of photo. Many other too who use a lot of photos in their travel layouts and do very comprehensive travel books with so many travel memories captured.

I have found that scrapping travels is very different than day-to-day scrapping. You document places to remember them.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

That sounds like a GREAT trip and adventure! I'm so jealous . Definitely don't scrap every picture or you will most likely become overwhelmed! I've only done one travel album, our family trip to Hawaii. It was only a week long yet I think I ended up with 500+ pictures.

First I decided to just use a standard postbound 20 page album. So I started by reviewing our iteniary and then deciding which pictures are most important (from each of the places we've visited). I wanted to make at least one layout of each place we visited. To include lots of pictures on one layout, your best bet is to shrink down the size of the photos. You can also print one picture larger as the focal point and surround with smaller pictures.

I also used a lot of "flatter" embellishments to keep the album from getting too bulky (just my preference). If you like some ideas, you can have a look in my gallery - I have a separate tab/ album for my Hawaii trip.

In your case, I think the best bet is to use a 3 ring binder style album, like the previous posters have suggested. Use sketches if you get stuck - they helped me immensely putting my album together. HTH and have fun!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Mama2Thomas

I'm with Henri. I scrap most every photo that goes with whatever I'm working on. If there are some that are almost the same, but I like them all, I'll use a big one, then either crop, or print smaller versions to go along with the big one. Another way is to make your own background collage, using lots of photos, then lightening them, or changing to light grays, then printing it out if you have a wide format printer or having it printed at a store. Or die-cut some of the photos for your title, making sure you keep the focal points.

Sometimes I read about people wondering if it's OK to use 2 pages instead of 1 for theme LOs. I might use 10 or 11 pages for a short two-day trip, but I scrap for our memories. I really don't care if anyone else thinks it's beautiful. Sure, I want my LOs to be the best I can make them in my own style, but the idea (for me) is scrapping for our own enjoyment and so future generations know we existed and what we did. I like to try new techniques since that's the only way I can figure out what I really like using.

Using the photo pages, like others have suggested, is also a good way to include pics you don't scrap. Plus, if you include a DVD with all of the photos on it, people can see them if they want and it will also be easy for you to scrap some more LOs in the future, if you desire.

You need to scrap the way that's comfortable to you. I enjoy looking at the beautiful pages, but they're not my style to make. Many would be wonderfully framed on walls, but I'm out of wall space :>) Hubby says we need to build a house that has an art gallery. OK ~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to mrsdriver5

Also, on the types of albums. My daughter and her hubby took a 1 week trip to Hawaii and since I trained her well, came back with two or three thousand pics :>) Of course there are the pics that she wonders what they were trying to take a photo of or for some reason she just doesn't want to keep. (Why do husbands think the best view of their beloved is from the rear? My hubby is obviously NOT married to Heidi Klum, so those shots go in the trash!)

Anyway, she is using D-ring albums and stuffing them with photos & memorabilia, but only getting two or three days per album, but that's OK...they love looking at her albums and that's why she's making them.~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Flatter scrapping is my style too. Totally agree because of the volume I do. If I didn't have that many pages per book it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I have scrapped Hawaii 7 or 8 times! I always say, "I'm not scrapping the Arizona Memorial again. I'm not scrapping Punchbowl again". I'm not scrapping Battleship Row again". I always do.

The reason we come up with so many pictures is because our trips are easily 2 or 3 months each. Sometimes 4 months each!

I had to go to 3-ring binders for the reasons mentioned above! Now I just have 1 or 2 books of each trip!

I like the idea of different sizes Judy. I've gone to large 5 x 7's but not the smaller sizes. That is something I need to try to do. Then I can send the 4 x 6's to my mother or family.

I love the title cut out of extra photos. I just did that a few weeks ago on a layout of Arizona - all cactus photos and I made the title out of the leftover pictures with my Slice. I need to do that more often because it is a great effect!

I love the DVD idea Judy - I may start incorporating that in the back of each of my books. Makes a lot of sense.

I made a alphabetical spreadsheet in WORD and anyone can look up their name and see all the layouts they are in and what books they are in. Now when my brother visits he can look up his name and see, "Shooting Pool" and which book it is in "Riding the Segway" and which book it is in. Bill and I are not in the book but everyone else who has ever appeared in one of my layouts is in there.

Laughed at the 2 or 3 days in a D-ring binder! She is using a lot of photos but only the person doing the scrapbooks knows how many photos they want to use. For me it is right to use most of mine. I don't pick out just favorites - then I don't have the story of my trip.

You are so funny about husbands taking pictures from the rear.

We were in Vietnam and after doing all the tours in Nha Trang that we were interested in my husband asked a local Vietnamese man where he could get a haircut. He was definitely getting a bit shaggy. The guy pointed for him to get on the back of his motorcycle and his friend pointed to the back of his motorcycle for me to hop on (and I was wearing a flowing muumuu or patio dress as Dillards calls them).

The motorcycle I was riding led in front and Bill was on the motorcycle that was behind. We both had camera's around our necks and he shot pictures of me the entire trip - from behind. At least 50 or 60 shots of big old me from the back perched on the back of a motorcycle like a frog.

There was one I did use but its not a close-up and it wasn't too bad. The rest went in the trash.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

At least the frog-on-a-cycle pix have a story behind them...literally (sorry for bringing up "behind" again ), but my hubby is great for saying, "Go stand over by those falls and I'll get a picture of you...so then he feels compelled to snap step-by-step shots of me waddling walking to the viewpoint. Thanks, dear... ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

That's funny Judy!

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120

Got to capture every moment Judy!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-12-13 06:51 AM
In response to SJB1120

LOL that is hilarious Judy!

Alison I agree with Henri and Judy - I scrap a LOT of my photos because I'm trying to document the stories.

For me, it was actually more overwhelming and stressful to try to narrow it down so much. I mean, these were my memories and I was trying to figure out which ones were good enough to make the cut? I didn't like how that felt. When I finally decided to just scrap ALL the ones I wanted, I enjoyed the process a lot more. It was less pressure to find the perfect photo to capture that moment/day. Obviously the blurry ones, duplicates, etc got pitched and on the rest I will print an 8x12 collage with lots of smaller pictures and then cut them apart to use throughout my pages along with standard sized photos.

You asked if you should print standard photos right away... I have found that it's easier for me to sort through them when I have them in my hand, rather than on the computer. So I print a 4x6 of everything I think I might want to use, and then sort them into piles. I have a pile for the ones I want to scrap, and then another pile for the ones I might like to use for other reasons... give them to people, frame them, cut pieces out to highlight something in the background, make embellies with them...whatever I want. Some I think I want to use but by the time I get around to making the page, I change my mind and pitch it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

I hate narrowing down pictures too! Very difficult and I enjoy it more when I use all the photos I want.

I like working with the printed photos too. I file them in the file folder with the memorbilia and embellies if I have them and when I get to that file I sort out what to use, what to do something else with or send to my mother. But I don't address that until I get to that file folder.

Besneys
Guru
Besneys

I totally agree with you Judy the scrap books are for my pleasure I'm not as advanced as a lot of you but I love to do the layouts and my grands * help* me a lot but hey ho we sit and laugh at the pix and remember where most of them were taken and how we felt about them. sometimes I mat one on an envelope and get the kids to write their thoughts on paper and pop them in the letter. I'd be ill at the thought of throwing my pix away sometimes I'll put duplicates in a slider album ( if daughter has taken more or less the same as mine shot) but never throw anything away...that might be an age thing though xx haha
Anne

Tenant
In response to Besneys

I am an organized person also a bit OCD. When we done our 4- month RV trip to Alaska I documented each place. When we got near a Walmart I printed those pictures, made a CD of them and labeled and dated the envelopes. I love your ideas at keeping everything in folders.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics