Username Post: Stazon on ink running        (Topic#1585017)
Shadojake
New Kid On the Block
Shadojake

I have begun making custom coasters using 4"x4" travertine tile and stamping images on them using Stazon ink pads. One of my customers reported that the design on her coasters has begun to run. I do not know what caused this. They have not used any cleaners on them nor have they run them in the dishwasher.

I chose stazon because it was supposed to be water-fast. I do not seal the coasters so that they will be more absorbant nor do I bake them.

How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-09-13 09:33 PM
In response to Shadojake

Travertine is quite porous, that may have something to do with it. Staz On, according to the manufacturer, is designed for non- and semi-porous materials. Did you do any testing of your materials before putting them up for sale? I doubt that ink on stone is a common application so it's likely not been addressed in any of the sales info, FAQs, instructions, etc.

Shadojake
New Kid On the Block
Shadojake
In response to stick

I took a class on this at a local flooring place and they sealed them with a spray. However when I watched a video on stamp TV they used the exact same ink and did not seal it or bake it. They said it was not necessary since stazon is water fast. I figured it confirmed what I thought, that sealing or baking wasn't necessary. No other customers have come forward with this issue. I don't want to cause problems with other customers when there aren't any ... but I am now curious about how it's working out.

Edited by Shadojake on 02-10-13 05:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Shadojake

Without know exactly how your customer was using the tiles, it is a little difficult to give an exact answer as to why the ink may have begun to run on the tiles. Here are some hints that may help:

StazOn is water-fast but it is not waterproof. This distinction is important if she had spilt water onto the coaster or if there may have been standing water on the coaster for a period of time.

StazOn is intended more for non-porous surfaces like glass, finished ceramics etc. Because travertine is typically made without any finish or glaze and is very porous, the ink could possibly bleed with prolonged exposure to moisture.

We suggest using a finishing glaze/sealant like our GlazOn layer protectant when using StazOn inks, especially when they may come into contact with liquids.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Shadojake
New Kid On the Block
Shadojake
In response to imaginecrafts

So I guess I am confused now ... what is the difference bewteen waterfast and waterproof?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Shadojake

I made some of these last night. I baked them in the oven at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, and then I turned off the oven and let them sit overnight. It's too soon to tell if they will stand the test of time, but I'm curious to see how they hold up.

Wendy L
Expert
Wendy L
In response to Luvmyfam

Being a coaster, could the customer (or their guests) have spilt a small amount of alcoholic beverage on the coaster? Stazon is water resistant but not alcohol resistant.

Edited by Wendy L on 05-10-13 06:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics