Username Post: Small grumble        (Topic#1585031)
RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I love helping people. I love giving whatever advice people ask for, especially newbies, because I was new once and I got a LOT of very useful and appreciated help from folk on here. I want to pay it back.

But I can't help feeling disappointed, just a little, when newbies ask for help, and I and others put a lot of thought into answering - and then they never come back again.

I know, I know, I'm being pathetic. And maybe it's been useful to someone, but would it hurt them to say so?

OK, end of grumble. Please continue with your scheduled programming!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to RedSquirrel

I'll agree with you

It's not just restricted to newbies though....if anyone asks a question, starts a discussion or whatever and people take the time to reply, it's nice if the OP comes back to either say thank you, to ask further quesions or to continue the discussion.

Most likely they just forget but it's nice to have your help appreciated. No shame in that

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to scrappercaz

I agree. I like helping others, but have stopped responding to a lot of posts because the people often do not come back for their answer. Sometimes I think they can't find where they posted their question. I always hope that someone who isn't burned out yet will stop to answer their questions.

The same goes with repeat questions. I understand why the same questions get asked over and over again, but if I already see the same question on the first page of the forum, I will move on. In this case, I hope that the OP will take the time explore the forums or use the search function to find their answer.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 02-10-13 08:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Luvmyfam

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was wondering whether I was being a moaning Myrtle!

That too Jen. Sometimes I leave a reply pointing out that there are a few other answers to the same question in that forum, particularly {link} so it doesn't look as if I'm just being snotty!

Often people don't know how to search. In my experience of other boards, the search functions are often rubbish. We're lucky with this one, although I still find myself searching the store by mistake sometimes.

Diva

I see a lot of wht you are saying her. I am one who goes back to see if they have added a phot of the outcome of the project...very rarely you will see so.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bayamonesa1

I completely agree.

The classic one was the newbie who posted several questions (and received responses and answers), then came back and posted a complaint that no one was answering her and she was being ignored.

(She had NO clue how to get back to her original post.)

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Bxr-Linda

I remember that one Linda. Bless her! She got there eventually though. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-21-13 03:59 PM

I totally agree. I might also be totally guilty...

Now you've got me wondering if I posted questions and forgot to follow up. I shall go back and check my posts. Sometimes I get the replies on my email... get excited and go work on the project... and then I realize like 2 days later that I forgot to come back and post but I do always try. Thanks for the reminder

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• RedSquirrel Said:
I love helping people. I love giving whatever advice people ask for, especially newbies, because I was new once and I got a LOT of very useful and appreciated help from folk on here. I want to pay it back.

But I can't help feeling disappointed, just a little, when newbies ask for help, and I and others put a lot of thought into answering - and then they never come back again.

I know, I know, I'm being pathetic. And maybe it's been useful to someone, but would it hurt them to say so?

OK, end of grumble. Please continue with your scheduled programming!

what's bothering me lately is...I answer and then when the OP doesn't agree with the answer (or doesn't like the answer) they blast me.

There is now a list of questions I just won't respond too because it leads to conflict/drama.
Example: There are many who just DON'T want to socialize at a crop. It's just the way it is but beginners refuse to accept this. So this is a topic I steer clear of.

Sure there are many topics I could add to, but I find myself not doing it more & more because of the results of past threads.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:

There is now a list of questions I just won't respond too because it leads to conflict/drama.
Example: There are many who just DON'T want to socialize at a crop. It's just the way it is but beginners refuse to accept this. So this is a topic I steer clear of.

Sure there are many topics I could add to, but I find myself not doing it more & more because of the results of past threads.

Thats a shame. One of the great things about this site is the wealth of information and experiences and those willing to share them.

There are always going to be people (here and in life) that are negative, argumentative, looking to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing etc. There are some that will bring up topics just for the sake of stirring up drama. Some people are just purely toxic.

I'd hate to see people stop sharing their opinions just because some don't know how to express differences civilly.

Maybe try and take it from where it comes and know that the benefit of your opinions isn't lost on everyone?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Kim222

Absolutely.

Some people regard differing opinions from their own as a personal attack. That's insecurity on their part - unless the dissenter is being nasty about it. I've never seen you being anything other than courteous, so I think you should keep presenting your point of view.

It does people good to know that there are other ways of thinking than their own. That doesn't make them, or you wrong, just different.

At least they come back with a response!

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom

My 2 cents --

1. It could be that the person may have clicked email responses or topic subscribe to the thread and get their answer in their regular email box so they don't have to make a trip over here.

2. If the newbie asks a question, gets answers, maybe another newbie or member finds an idea with what has been said so someone benefits from the answers given. (how many people have looked at this thread?)

3. People get confused on a big site like this and are just trying to figure out how things work or where to go. This can be frustrating to some so they take a break and come back after re-thinking, or they just don't come back because they are lost.

4. Sometimes people forget that they even signed up or immediately lose their password, or have trouble remembering it (or an email they signed up with), or get locked out, and it takes time to get back to a message board once they recall what the steps they need to take to find their way back.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-25-13 09:23 AM
In response to PokeyMom

Good points. I do wish it was a little easier to subscribe to topics. When i post (new or reply) I have to always remember AFTER the post to scroll all the way down again and click the subscribe button. I do remember it took me a while to find it when I was new. Some people might assume that they will get automatic emails if someone replies (lots of other sites are set up to do this automatically) and they just think that nobody ever answered.

Of course, I believe I know some of the instances the OP is talking about here and those people have been back to post on other things, so this doesn't apply to everybody, but maybe it does to some.

Diva
In response to Vae

I will agree with you..it is hard for me to remember the posts or forums that I have visited.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics