Username Post: Molding vs modeling paste        (Topic#1585039)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-10-13 05:49 PM

Are molding paste and modeling paste the same thing? I see both types mentioned in many posts but that stuff is very new to me. I tried gesso using a template and it didn't turn out well at all so I thought maybe the paste would work out better. Just not sure what to buy.

Thanks!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Vae

Liquitex maxes modeling paste, as far as I know, it is the same as molding paste.

It is very thick and dries hard.

Some gessos are thicker than others, the Liquitex is sort of runny, while the Studio brand is fairly thick. I use both. The runnier is better for simply coating canvas and chipboard and the thicker is better for stencils.

Modeling paste is great for stencils.

Don't forget to keep a water bucket or wash them right after.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-10-13 07:46 PM
In response to Manda_K

Thanks Manda!

I was using Artists Loft Acrylic white gesso and it just didn't give me any texture at all. I will look for the liquitex modeling paste and give that a try.

Thanks!!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Vae

I made my own Jarvae. Some old white embossing powder, PVA glue and white acrylic paint (I would have used gesso but my pot had dried out), all mixed together. I spread it over a stencil made by cutting a die out of card, using an old plastic card. It looked sandy, and as I was after a snowy effect, it worked perfectly, was cheap, and I only made what I needed so none got wasted.

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel

I mainly use gesso. Never had tried any other product.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to bayamonesa1

Modeling paste will give you much more texture than gesso. I didn't know you could really get any texture out of gesso. I guess because I used to use gesso so much to prime surfaces to get a smooth coat after painting over it. It is still by far the best paint primer I've tried.

I just got some Wendy Vecchi modeling paste in a package today, so I can't wait to try it out. I've watched some of her videos from CHA and it looks so cool.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-11-13 03:17 PM
In response to SherylEb

Ah that makes sense. I guess I see them both (gesso and the paste) mentioned almost interchangeably in different threads I thought they were kind of the same thing. I'm definitely going for texture.

I went to HL and they didn't seem to have anybody who knew what it was or where it would be located. But I'm not surprised... I may just order it online so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Vae

They have it in the art department. Right with the gesso actually. It says modeling paste. The last one I bought there was Liquitex.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vae

I use the Ranger Ink Gesso....it's thick and works well with stencils. You can colour it too..

Alison

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to kiyawinn

That is my personal favorite. The Studio line of all things paint is fabulous!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Manda_K

Gesso and modeling paste are my best buds. I love both and use them often :-D

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics