Username Post: scrapping style        (Topic#1585055)
Resident

what scrapping style are you??

kits/packs bought albums embellies??

hand made albums, embellies??

incorporate whats laying around, old jewellery, beads etc??

off the page??

what tools/equipent do you use the most??

what mediums do you use eg, alcohol inks, ink pads, paint, embossing powders etc.

for me, i'm more into handmade albums and embellies. i also love off the page type stuff. i have a big shot and use it sometimes, have been playing with embossing powders and recently liquid pearls. nothing is safe from being pulled apart and incorporated into one of my mad scientisty projects.

another favourite of late is eggshell mosaics.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to dee.is.me

Not too 3D, quite simple, although I love layering and linear designs - I have to work quite hard not to make everything linear. LOVE mosaics.

No kits unless they're bought for me, then they tend to get dismantled anyway.

Yes, hand-made albums and embellies.

I make/use embellishments that complement the photos. No butterflies on beach photos or birdcages at Christmas for me!

Mainly LOs, minis, cards, although I've done other projects too, like door hangers and pen pots.

Most used equipment: my Cuttlebug and dies, stamps

Most used mediums: inks, Copic markers

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

Lots of questions. I'm a basic clean and simple scrapper. I have never used a kit. The idea of using a sketch completely leaves me cold.

I do get ideas from the gallery where I can see what it actually looks like because I can't tell anything for a sketch.

I use matting and matting and more matting. Flowers for layouts of my granddaughter occasionally but not on my other stuff.

Mostly I do travel layouts - tons of travel layouts and those have heavy journaling and lots of pictures.

I do distress thte edges of things sometimes but not always. I have tons of punches - once in a while I will use one.

I have tons of embossing folders but haven't tried using one yet. Only used my Big Shot once.

Loads of Nesties and Cheery Lynn dies but the one time I used my Big Shot, it was for one of my Nesties. I'm sure I'll use it again someday.

I have a Cricut and use it once every month or two and my Slice once every month or so. I'm not a tool-type person I guess.

I buy inks and distress inks and glitter and stickles - used distress inks a few times. Never used the other inks or stickles or glitter or twinkling H2Os.

I think I answered more than you ask. I just want to get my photos and memorbilia on the page so it tells a story and documents our travels. If they look pretty - that is a big plus but I'm not an artist and don't try to be.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-11-13 01:24 PM
In response to Henri Jean

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
and Yes

LOL I don't have a defined style. I love to use techniques that I find on youtube or hear about here. I think it depends on what I'm working on. Some of my layouts are very simple and some have a lot going on.

I love to make certain embellies but I don't have the patience to do it all the time. However when I'm at the store if I think I can make something cheaper/better/more suitable to what I need, then I will be online looking up how to do it in no time.

I love kits, sketches, anything like that but I never stick to exactly what is there. But I love kits because they have coordinating stuff at a (usually) pretty low price.

I use my cricut quite a bit. I don't have any other die cut or embosser machines yet, but I plan to get a big shot (or something like it) and a cameo by this summer.

I love inks - I ink the edges on almost everything these days because I think it really helps make things pop a little more. I usually take a photo of my layout before I ink everything, and then one after, and even though the first one doesn't look like anything is missing, the second one just looks so much better to me.

I love the look of the eggshell mosaics. The only thing I wonder about is how long they would last and I would love to get anyone's take on this. Do you think they will stand the test of time? I wonder if they would affect anything they are touching and I wonder if they would disintegrate over time?

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Vae

Originally my style was plain and simple and fun. Now it is more romantic, vintage and shabby chic. I love flowers, ribbons, lace and bling.
I don't use my cricut often...too much of a hassle to take it out and set it up. I do have a lot of punches and use them.
I would love to try some mixed media and have lots of inks and sprays and copic markers (use them to color bling) alcohol inks..also gesso and molding paste and a few stencils..do I use them???...nope....I don't know why...maybe afraid I won't like what I do since it is so far out of my comfort zone.
I have lots of little chipboard albums waiting to be used...I've done a few for friends and family but mostly I just like filling my 12x12 albums...mostly ring binders as my layouts are mostly "fat".

Jarvae..I made 3 eggshell mosaics a few months ago and never put them on a layout...they're coated with glossy accents and they're chipboard on the bottom...I think they will be okay....maybe I should dig them out of wherever I hid them and actually put them in a layout.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to dee.is.me

• dee.is.me Said:

off the page??

what mediums do you use eg, alcohol inks, ink pads, paint, embossing powders etc.

for me, i'm more into handmade albums and embellies. i also love off the page type stuff. i have a big shot and use it sometimes, have been playing with embossing powders and recently liquid pearls. nothing is safe from being pulled apart and incorporated into one of my mad scientisty projects.

another favourite of late is eggshell mosaics.

I consider myself a vintage modernist, with a hint of shabby glam.

Almost everything I use comes from kits. I find it easier to let someone else match up everything.

I don't use albums, I rarely make and embellie from scratch, but I will alter stuff that is around. I love using jewelry and hardware.

I don't do too many OTP projects, I am slowly getting into that.

I use my cameo all the time as well as my Epic for embossing. I use my TH distressers a lot. Yes, I have more than one, those suckers are tiny!

I will use any medium I can get my hands on. I am quite partial to mists (my first love), but I quite enjoy gesso and other messy mediums!

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Manda_K

My style is...random. I never know what I'm going to end up with.

I like to try about anything on a page. Lately, I've been using a lot of really old scrapbooking supplies, partly because I don't have a nearby LSS, so not much opportunity for shopping and getting new stuff..and the fact that I have an overstuffed scraproom.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to justowen

Clean lines and shapes for me. Never intentional, but looking back, that's what it seems to be! (maybe that's why some of the Tim Holtz dies leave me cold...hmmm...)

Resident
In response to Vae

hi javae,

i've only just begun playing with eggshell mosaics so not sure how long they would last. i also don't have alcohol inks atm so improvised with shaving and smudging pastel chalks lol... worked fairly good, bright colouring.
i used glossy accents to cover so i guess they will last as along as other bits covered with that as well??
so far my favouite eggshell mosaic pieces would be the chipboard key and padlock i covered in it and once dry highlighted with liquid pearls. i'll try and get a pic of them up within the next week.

Resident
In response to dee.is.me

wow theres some amazing inspiration within the answers above... thanks everyone !! definitely gives me some idea's of things to get into.

its also interesting to see our different styles !!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:

I consider myself a vintage modernist, with a hint of shabby glam.
quote]

Manda, this made me laugh....what a description!
You go, girl!

Alison

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to kiyawinn

I like techniques and I like my pages 3D....I don't like flat pages. So I use embossing, liquid pearls, Stickles, different fabrics, gesso, stencils etc....
My new love is my Cameo. I used to use my BigShot all the time but mostly use it for embossing now.
I do make my own tags, flowers etc...that's fun!
I don't use kits and don't use sketches, although I do get inspiration from others' layouts. I might like the way someone's layered their papers or the colours they've used or a different way they've used an embellishment etc...
Recently, I've started using the computer more for things and designing stuff on the Cameo more....a bit of a hybrid scrapper now, I guess!

Alison

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to kiyawinn

Hmmm what scrapping style am I :
IDK I guess blinged out mama
I have a cricut and a big shot (never tried the bs YET)
I try anything on a page I really admire the new textured look with gesso and lots of flowers you know the kinds of layouts that are too bulky to fit in a normal scrapbook. I have never done this YET. But when I get the mula I will try it.
I use kits when I find a good deal on them.
I love to do two page layouts and latley mini albums out of chipboard!!! I also do cards with stamps. I am I guess random at times. Hard to tell. Hahaha!!! There you have it style: random bling? mindygail

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to mindygail

I consider myself a mixed media artist. I don't have a single style and I am willing to try anything (craft related...lol) at least once. I see everything as a possible embellishment...lol For instance, I just had an idea. Take an old pair of eyeglasses or sunglasses and adhere photos to the actual glasses and use them as a frame. Hmmm...OK, see you later, I got some crafting to do :-D

Madding
New Kid On the Block
Madding
In response to dee.is.me

• dee.is.me Said:

off the page??

I consider myself a simple scrapper, but probably mostly because I do everything with my x-acto knife and ruler and don't have hardly any supplies! My layouts are usually pretty simple too, as far as I compare them to what's in the gallery here.

The only kits I have were given to me by friends who gave up scrapping, though I did buy some albums to put my pages in.

I don't usually add non-paper objects to my layouts, but I do try to incorporate event-related memorabilia when possible.

As for tools, my x-acto knife is my life. I use it on an old quilter's cutting mat with a metal ruler. I also have a pretty impressive set of prismacolor pencils so I draw on my layouts sometimes. I only recently bought my very first stamps and inks. We'll have to see how they go! I try to be a supply minimalist because of money and space! It doesn't bother me if it takes forever to do a layout.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics