Username Post: Creating Texture        (Topic#1585083)
meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Hey there!
Right now I'm working on a page where I'm using mostly white and just hints of blue for a pregnancy photo. It's turning out pretty good but my challenge right now is creating texture. Since a lot of the detail is white-on-white, I need different textures to have them stand out. I've used embossing and glitter on some, but I've hit a bit of a road block. I'm working with just paper (I don't have access to the fabric prima flowers) and creating all of my own flowers and embellishments. So does anyone have any tips on creating texture with paper in different ways?
Thanks for the help!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to meshell1104

What about crinkle-ing the paper? Like maybe balling it up. Then ball another piece and wet it, then let it dry out? Maybe even use some ink on a couple crinkled pieces?

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to scrapchica

I did crumple some of the paper for my flowers to try to add texture but I'm not sure I want to add ink because I want to keep it white. I think I've run out of options. I've crumpled, glittered, embossed, and added buttons. I'd love to use more texture with feathers and fabric and such but I don't have a scrap store near me and honestly I'm not willing to pay $5 for one Prima flower, you know?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-12-13 03:21 PM

Do you have any other craft or sewing store nearby? I'd think you should be able to find lots of things like feathers and different fabrics at such a place, no need for a scrap store!

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to stick

Sure, but I don't know how to turn fabric into flowers or anything else. Sewing and working with fabric is not a talent of mine... Lol

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-12-13 06:42 PM

You could just get small pieces of fabric and cut it into thin strips to use as ribbons.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-12-13 09:02 PM
In response to stick

You can make some really cool flowers out of just paper and a pair of scissors... no special tools or anything required. There are lots of tutorials on youtube.

Also, what about adding lace, ribbon, buttons, things you might be able to find around the house that are white. I get extra buttons with lots of my clothes and most of them are either clear (which would still fit) or white.

Cut some strips of white paper and then curl it with your scissors.

Cut out embellies and layer them using some foam (even a cut up paper plate) to add dimension.

Several people on the forum have done egg shell mosaics. I don't know how it's done but I think Dollscrap has instructions in her gallery.

Add some stitching with some white thread that is doubled over and make various designs.

Get a cheap string of pearls (like kids jewelry) and stitch or glue them to your page.

Just about anything will work. Just look around your house for anything white. Good luck!!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Vae

Using crepe paper, like the rolls you would use as streamers for a birthday, make beautiful flowers! All you need is the roll of crepe paper, my dollar tree carries a 2 pack for a dollar, a pair of scissors and glue.
I don't know how to link from my iPad, but if you're interested, I've listed my 2 most recent LO's that I've used the crepe paper flowers on. I've added diamond dust to the edges, but they are still pretty flowers without anything added if you didn't want to.

Page 1 in my gallery, top row, " You're beautiful"
And page 2, top row "Beauty at its finest"

BoysKeoghMom
Veteran
BoysKeoghMom
In response to ChansGram

You could try card board painter white. If you remove one side of the paper you are left with the corragated part that is bumby and you can cut to any shape you want.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-13-13 08:37 AM
In response to BoysKeoghMom

The simonsaysstamp blog has a white-on-white post today with some beautiful examples of cards, you might get some inspiration from it

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stick

Dry emboss the paper and/or flowers.

What Jarvae said-- use pop dots or layers of paper to make elements stand away from the background.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Here's a video on making paper flowers. You can roll, fold, emboss to give dimension.

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/3313.html

Diva
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thank you so much!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to bayamonesa1

I have gone to the dollar store and roamed every row with an open mind. Found items to use on cards in baby dept, wedding area, kitchen, etc. Just think out of the box. I got a huge bag of fake white floral petals in the wedding row. I inked, sprayed, folded, stapled them into about a hundred flowers. They ended up being a penny a piece.

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Wow you ladies have some great ideas. Thank you for all the responses! I'm going to get back to it and see what I can come up with. =)

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Using tissue paper, corrugated paper or ribbon is a great way to add texture.
You can also use punches to add shape and texture to pages.
Use stencils and mist tone on tone.
Add string or twine around an object or use to add a bow....
Add a banner with different white papers (cut into triangles) and the string to link them all together....
Punch a whole bunch of circles out of paper and add them to your background to add dimension....
There's probably a thousand ideas!
Good Luck!
Let's see it when you're done!

Alison

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to kiyawinn

Well I just finished the page I was working on and posted it. I don't know how to add photos on a forum discussion, but if you hop over to my gallery it's the latest one I've uploaded. Thanks again for all the advice and ideas!

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 02-27-13 12:42 PM

Do you have any gesso? You can paint gesso over patterned paper so just a hint of the original color and design shows through. You can use white paint if you don't have gesso. Gesso gives kind of a rough yet smooth texture at the same time, I can't really explain it. You can also paint it on a bit thick, then use bubble wrap to dot some of it away. You can also stamp into it when wet. it is a wonderful thing, bu a little bottle and play with it. You can use fabric scraps or old cloting torn into strips too, let the edges fray for a softer look.

Diva
In response to meela

I like the ideas given about using gesso. Thanks for sharing!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to bayamonesa1

what about glue blobs? take something like elmer's and drizzle it on the paper. when it's dry, it should be clear but raised. like this:

Mitten (wet) By Lamoo12

Mitten (dry) By Lamoo12

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics