Username Post: Crooked Layouts        (Topic#1585139)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena

I've been noticing that my layouts are always crooked...no matter how hard I try not to make them that way, either w/ a ruler or another piece of cardstock as my guide...
Funny thing, the crookedness always leabs to the right...wonder if there is some pyschological reason for that, LOL!

Anybody else have thei problem?

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-14-13 11:54 AM
In response to Doreena

Doreena I have been having that problem a lot lately and I kept trying to figure out what I was doing and why no matter what I did they were crooked.

And then in a thread here a few weeks ago about paper trimmers someone mentioned that their cutter was off. I went home and checked and sure enough the grid on the cutter is crooked! I went looking for a new cutter around here and every one of them was off like that.

Go check yours; maybe that's the problem.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 02-14-13 12:30 PM
In response to GMFTS

I also noticed that if I'm not careful when I when the rotary blade I tilt it and that messes everything up to.

I have a new Fiskars Rotary and this is the first time I have ever not be really happy with them. This one tends not to cut all the way through.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to GMFTS

lol I gave up on straightness a long time ago.

I have the old fiskars gray trimmer and it doesn't cut straight. It's not terrible off but it is off. And I just need to buy a new one.

I purposefully tilt most all the pics and stuff cause I know i'll never get things totally straight. I just don't worry about that anymore or i'd never get anything done if I needed everything to be perfect.

I think those little things are just part of the charm of handmade stuff.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-14-13 12:33 PM
In response to Cindyckj

My trimmer isn't perfectly straight either. The edge/blade are straight but it doesn't cut at a perfect 90 degree angle, so I have to be careful about that.

But within my layouts themselves, I can never get things to like up quite right. I keep meaning to get a laser to help me line it up... it's on my very very long wish list.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Vae

I have a new trimmer, one I purchased from here that got lots of great reviews, Fiskar, and yes I've noticed it's not straight. SO I stopped using it. But I have tried other things: ruler, another piece of cardstock as my guide and always the same problem.
Oh well I guess I should just not worry about it, but I just find it strange. Especially since it always leans the same way!

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Doreena

Same problem here so I also purposely put things crooked. Also, my trimmer must be off a bit too (I have the Cricket one) because corner punches usually don't come out exactly right for me.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-14-13 03:57 PM
In response to AmyWho

I can't find a corner punch that does a decent job... they all leave some kind of notches instead of making a smooth rounded corner. Drives me crazy!

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to Vae

I noticed all my things were crooked too, that's when I switched to standing up to scrap. No more problem here:)

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to MisasMom

Maybe you should try leaning it to the left then it might be straight!!! I am envious of all the layouts that look so prefect sometimes I think they are digi!!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to simplycrafty

I bought a MS trimmer and I have a better time of keeping the paper straight. Notice I said paper (when I stand the pics are a little to the right so maybe I need to stand more when I scrap!)

Diva
In response to prittb

I have the same problem almost all the time and I have no problem with that! I do scrapbooking as my therapy and I will not let something like that to stress me out. If it happens, it happens. If feel like fix it, I will but if not, is OK with me!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to bayamonesa1

I dont (think ) i have this straight edge problem!
I bought a couple of years ago a xacto corner rounder and it works good not great but good. Try getting a we r memory keepers one they are great!!!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Cindyckj

• Cindyckj Said:
lol I gave up on straightness a long time ago.

I have the old fiskars gray trimmer and it doesn't cut straight. It's not terrible off but it is off. And I just need to buy a new one.

Before buying a new one, contact Fiskars and tell them the issue. They have AMAZING customer service.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to cindy312

My motto is, "if it looks straight, it IS straight." I eyeball most everything, and it works for me.

The rare time that I did measure.....
I was working on matting and framing some prints the other night. These are advertising, printed on white paper (so, the image, surrounded by white).

NO matter what I did, how I measured, they looked off.

I finally realized that the prints were NOT centered. *I* was correct, but the print had more white space on one side than the other.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I have a Fiskars rotary and I stand when I use it and I've never had a problem with crooked cuts. I have to hold the paper with one hand though and make sure it stays lined up against one side or the other. If it is not completely butted up against the side it will be crooked.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Henri Jean

I think I may need to accept it as a problem I will always have...perhaps I can make it my trademark!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
My motto is, "if it looks straight, it IS straight." I eyeball most everything, and it works for me.

The rare time that I did measure.....
I was working on matting and framing some prints the other night. These are advertising, printed on white paper (so, the image, surrounded by white).

NO matter what I did, how I measured, they looked off.

I finally realized that the prints were NOT centered. *I* was correct, but the print had more white space on one side than the other.

Oh wow!
Yeah is right!

asassyscrapper
Governor
asassyscrapper
In response to Doreena

I have found that a 12"'T square and working with a mat is a huge help. I am constantly checking for 90% angles...LOL....and parallel lines :)))

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Doreena

one other thing to check - if you are lining up the stuff using the scrapping mat, see if you can rotate it say 90* if it will help... maybe the marks on the mat are off.

WVScrapThis
New Kid On the Block
WVScrapThis
In response to OlesyaK.

I've been having the same problem, I just though it was me. I'm going to check my trimmer tomorrow and see if it's causing the problem.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to asassyscrapper

I use a t square quite a bit too. Clear 12" one. Works great for lining up lettering too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics