Username Post: Eco style artists?..        (Topic#1585145)
whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon

Hi all!
I found a lot of theory on so-called 'eco-style' scrapbooking, but can't find much examples. Seems like the style is theoretical only.
There're 2 ways of eco scrapping:
1 using all natural supplies: pressed flowers, twigs, leaves etc, shells, sand, rocks, fibers like raphia, coconut, wool, natural colors and kraft paper etc, no plastic, metals and such
2 recycling, reusing and saving our planet from various junk by turning it into pieces of art.

I found one lady who makes eco cards, well, not 100%, but better than nothing
http://evgeniapetzer.blogspot.ru/search/label/eco%20sty ...

Do you know anyone else who goes green in cards or layouts? Or at least completed a few projects (not just a single one)?

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to whiteracoon

Here's a challenge I had hosted, with this very theme!

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/14966...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• whiteracoon Said:
There're 2 ways of eco scrapping:

1 - using all natural supplies: pressed flowers, twigs, leaves etc, shells, sand, rocks, fibers like raphia, coconut, wool, natural colors and kraft paper etc, no plastic, metals and such

Shells

{R - Rhonda} By KellyCali

Shells & sand

Beach Shells Collector By KellyCali

Piece of coconut from the South Pacific

{Prayer Frame} By KellyCali

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

• whiteracoon Said:
2 - recycling, reusing and saving our planet from various junk by turning it into pieces of art.

Bubblewrap, raffia & metal paperclip

Bubblewrap Bumblebees By KellyCali

Plastics, foam & recycled journal

Ready, Set, Grow Garden Journal By KellyCali

Shells, rocks & sand

Seashells, Sand & Treasure Frame Project By KellyCali

Metals, mesh & fibers...all sorts of rusted-inspired 'finds' from the the bottom of the sea.

{Journey To The Bottom Of The Sea} By KellyCali

Shells, mesh & bottlecap

{Nautical Frame} By KellyCali

Bottlecap magnets

{Artsy Bling Magnets} By KellyCali

Plastic from soda packaging

Having Fun! :) By KellyCali

Altered AOL CD

Altered CD - Yellow Canary By KellyCali

Recycled denim

{Farmer Boy} By KellyCali

Cottonballs, bubblewrap, various metals

{Steampunk Christmas} By KellyCali

Leather, twine & textile fabrics

{Textile} By KellyCali

Cardboard & shells

{Twenty-Thousand Leagues} By KellyCali

Cottonballs & shells

{Lazy Days Of Summer} By KellyCali

Misc metals & plastics

{L.O.V.E} By KellyCali

The list actually goes on & on! I use lots of different items, to include coins, coke tabs, office supplies, mailing supplies, cardboard, vegetable mesh, items from clothing, etc, etc! (aka exactly why a portion of my scrapspace is forever & a day a mess!)

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to KellyCali

KellyCall, thank you very much for replies! So many examples and ideas! Great job!

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry

My friend Danielle has a whole blog about eco-scrapbooking. She does some pretty creative things: http://ecoscrapbook.blogspot.com/

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to Hdubarry

Thank you! Very cool!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I have used natural "organic" materials in the past and I experienced BUGS, BUGS, BUGS!

I have had multiple types of bugs (some I couldn't even identify), attacking different types of materials, across several different albums.

so while using natural "organic" materials is a great idea in theory, it's not so good in reality. Now I photograph and/or scan any natural "organic" material I want to use.

This is an area, that until a material breaks down into a sappy, stained, bug-infested mess ruining one of your pages, probably nothing I could ever say will change your mind. But I urge you to reconsider some of your choices. You can still have the visual of the item on your page without actually putting the organic material on your page. (through photographs, scans, printing on matte & textured papers, creating the material using paper, etc.)

There is a reason everyone uses paper flowers instead of real flowers...it's because real flowers can REALLY mess up your albums.

for more threads on the topic, including unusual, recycled, items you can use
Using Interesting non-traditional Materials in Scrapbooking

Diva
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I recycle a lot in my scrapbook pages but not using natural stuff...I am always wondering if it will damage the photos in a long term.

I will use cardboard, paper, tags, raffia, ribbons from bags, etc. A little bit to save the planet!

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to Gelidy Gelato

hahaha, i knew, i knew, i knew you'd come here with your buggy story =))))) wondering if there's a single person who haven't heard it from you yet =)
Anyway, i tried to put the question as clear as possible, i only need names and links to eco-rich galleries. I do not ask for advice, opinions and horror-stories, nor I'm interested in saving or such. =)
Though i might be pretty much surprised to learn about bugs which eat sand, clay, shells or rocks. Yuckies =) luckily, i don't have so many insects around me =)

Thank you for taking your time to educate me and teach another buggy lesson it was fun =)

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

If they haven't heard a buggy story from Gelidy, they might have heard it from me! I've had nasties attack my natural things too, so I'm afraid I'm in total agreement. I've had shells crumble to chalk and sand go smelly, but rocks? Nope, no problems there!

BUT I love the idea of converting stuff that would otherwise go to landfill into beauty. My DH had his expensive watch serviced and gave me the bits they gave him back. I have the glass, the hands and a few teeny tiny cogs from inside. I'm still considering what to do with them.

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to bayamonesa1

Thanks for replying! Gonna check out your gallery! :-)
RedSquirrel, thanks for replying too :-) we'll, bugs may happen, of course, but there are tricks and techniques to protect stuff, besides there're cards, invitations and other off the page projects that are not supposed to be kept for ages
Good luck with the watches parts =) really would love to see what you come up with!

Edited by whiteracoon on 02-18-13 10:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Oh absolutely, I recycle stuff for cards all the time. I had a friend who loved After Eight mints, and I used the corrugated inside from a box on her card. She kept picking the card up and smelling it!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics