Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Eyelet setter        (Topic#1585155)
mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I'm still frantically working on Valentines. Of course I decided one of them HAD to have an eyelet on it, which I've never done, except years ago when I sewed for my kids. I managed to get it in with my piercer and a meat mallet, but I know they make special tools...I even had one back in my sewing days, but the kids probably took it for a science experiment or something. Any recommendations for what works the best? Thanks~Judy

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-14-13 04:27 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

Crop-a-dile, hands down.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I love my Cropodile big bite. That is the most common one probably - everyone carries it and it is really accurate and easy to use.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Kara and I posted at the same time! Her post wasn't there - I posted and then hers was there.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Henri Jean

In a pinch.... Phillips screwdriver.

Do you have some kind of cone-shaped tool?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I still use the ole hammer and setting tools. No desire for a crop-a-dile or other tool.

I actually like pounding with the hammer!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Bxr-Linda

My meat mallet and piercing tool worked for my little eyelet, but I'll have to order a Big Bite. I like pounding with a hammer...I've knocked down a few walls just so we'd have to do some remodeling :>) It's a great way to jumpstart hubby when he says, "Someday we need to...". And it's really interesting to see the look on his face when he finds out half the front wall is missing :>)

But I don't like hammering on my scrappy stuff.

i.e. I don't mind demolishing a house worth several hundred thousand dollars, but I'd hate to mess up a $1 piece of paper

So, this week I discovered I NEEDED Lindy's sprays and a Big Bite. I wonder what it will be next week? ~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-14-13 06:15 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
I still use the ole hammer and setting tools. No desire for a crop-a-dile or other tool.

I use this too and love it. I don't really have to hit it that hard... just a nice little tap usually does the trick. I like how small my little eyelet setter is - doesn't take up any space!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• mrsdriver5 Said:
My meat mallet and piercing tool worked for my little eyelet, but I'll have to order a Big Bite. I like pounding with a hammer...I've knocked down a few walls just so we'd have to do some remodeling :>) It's a great way to jumpstart hubby when he says, "Someday we need to...". And it's really interesting to see the look on his face when he finds out half the front wall is missing :>)

But I don't like hammering on my scrappy stuff.

i.e. I don't mind demolishing a house worth several hundred thousand dollars, but I'd hate to mess up a $1 piece of paper

So, this week I discovered I NEEDED Lindy's sprays and a Big Bite. I wonder what it will be next week? ~Judy

Yes, yes you do! My Big Bite is one of my best scrapbook investments. My kids, DH and the cats also love my Big Bite. I actually enjoyed using a traditional hammer/setter tool, but each time I did I would have to peel my autistic child off the ceiling.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Luvmyfam

Jarvae, you would be surprised at how little room the Big Bite takes up. It's slim, so it fits right into my crop bag or can be tucked away on my shelf.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Luvmyfam

I got a few eyelets from a host gift for a scrap swap so thanks for the ideas without buying a special tool!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-14-13 08:00 PM
In response to scrapchica

I LOVE hammering!! I have several special hammers for jewelry work. But it's the hole cutters for the eyelets that I have a problem with, I've dulled a couple already from overuse, that's why I got a Crop-a-dile.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to stick

I like the Crop-0-dile as well!
I use it for punching holes a lot....and sometimes for eyelets

Alison

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

Yeah, I was thinking of the Big Bite as something hubby and I would both use. When I see all the different materials it will "bite" through, it sold me :>) I know...I'm a pretty easy sell ~Judy

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Crop o dile fan here, too. I use the pink one. You can always watch some youtube videos before purchasing to help you decide. You might find one on ebay that would include the carrying case, etc. or use a coupon at a big store if you have one near you.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Love my Karen Foster Clikit tool. Everything in one handy little box. Not sure if they still make them anymore though... had it for a long time.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to t-scraps

I still use my little making memories eyelet setter and a hammer! It's light and not big and bulkly and can put anywhere. I haven't gone to many crops but but glad I wouldn't have to pack a big heavy tool.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

Still do this too. I just let DH that I will be pounding and he covers his ears

Edited by prittb on 02-15-13 06:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to prittb

OK I got a cropadile at joanns about three months ago and when i actually use it - perfect!! I highly suggest getting this! I use it to put holes in my handmade mini albums! works like a charm and it is so slender it fits inside my crop bag!
great investment,
mg

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mindygail

so do you believe i dont use eyelets I have only once used my big bite (cropadile) for this and what btw are eyelets for anyways>? making a hole look neater or what?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics