Username Post: Re-Inking?        (Topic#1585171)
clfehler
Tenant
clfehler

Will re-inking my pads with another brand or type of ink work? I try to re-use whenever I can. Example: So if I have a Memento pad can I re-ink with Ranger???

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to clfehler

Kinda sorta.

Technically, it would work; however, you might lose the properties that make each ink unique (ex: porous, non-porous, dye, pigment, waterproof, translucent, opaque etc etc)

Keep in mind also the types of pads you're re-inking. The pads are used to disburse the type of ink they are made for. Dye inks usually come on felt pads and pigment inks are usually on a sponge base.

Also-color matching wouldn't be exact.

Thats why I don't ever mix re-inkers and pads, but if these issues don't bother you, then go for it!

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy
In response to Kim222

I wouldn't mix because there are a variety of different inks. What you may try doing if it's a pad for water-based ink is rinsing out the ink pad, letting it dry, and then adding your new ink.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Stamp4Joy

I wouldn't recommend it. I know when SU changed to the new firm foam ink pads, they had to reformulate five colors because the old formula for those five colors don't work on the new pads. (and that is with the same brand, same color!!!)
Just my opinion though. I would ask in the general section to see if anyone has ever done this and what the results were.

Diva
In response to binkiemonstermom

I will agree. I would be too afraid to mix brands when re-inking pads.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to bayamonesa1

If you mix memento with distress, you will not be able to use your copic markers with it.

They are very different inks that work differently based on stamp and paper.

You could try to clean out the pad and reuse it, but why not just get a memento re-inker? Not expensive, and you can use your distress re-inker for other projects.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to Hdubarry

I have reinked with different color and brand, but always the same type of ink, mostly dye inks: used a different brand(Dots) of a green ink I got at a garage sale on a fading(old) Stampinup green that I did not have a refill for. worked great, color was similar enough it didn't make a big difference and blended in well. All I did worked well and just had the blend the colors together, which goes by quick if you stamp a lot!!

cardnan
Tenant
cardnan
In response to clfehler

Cyndi, I would recommend to not reink using different ink. I agree with the other comments that different inks have different properties and mixing two different inks together may give you results that you will not be pleased with.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics