Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cricut mats        (Topic#1585213)
Expert

Anyone else have problems with the newer cricut adhesive mats? I can't get the paper to stay stuck on them. When doing an intricate cut, it really makes me crazy when the paper starts to move!
I understand some people use an adhesive on them? Can anyone enlighten me? I am still using my older pad...it works better than the new ones. I have the original cricut expression. COUld that have anything to do with it?
Thanks for your help.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to deedee49

So are you using the 6x12" mats? I had heard that they discontinued making those (they don't sell them on the Cricut site any longer), but was able to find them here. Maybe the ones we're finding are just old if they actually have discontinued that size. I use the big wide Zig glue pen to re-glue mine and it works quite well - just be sure you don't get any glue on the margins (or it will gunk up your rollers). If you're not using that size, I don't know what the problem would be unless you just got a bad batch.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to dwelch

Sorry you're having troubles. I have an older machine too and use the 6x12. I agree with dwelch, the big Zig 2-way glue pen is what I use to make mine sticky again. I have three and when I have used up the stickiness (a couple times a year) I wash them real good and then reapply the Zig glue. Works like a charm. I haven't bought mats in years.
Zig 2 Way Glue - Baby Biggie

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to olleharr

If you have the original expression, your mats are 12x12. I've heard you have to wet the new mats before you use them or something like that. check the website.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to SherylEb

I lucked out and ended up with some bionic mats and blade over two years ago and haven't changed either since.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to runzalot81

Another Zig user here.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to rockmom

If you have the room, go for a 12 x24 mat. Then you can put on 2. 12x12 pages. Put one end in, cut your design out, then turn it around and put other end in.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to SherylEb

You are too smart! Love that idea. Thanks for sharing.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to flintridgescrapper

Guess I finally did something right when I purchase a 6 x 12 mat each time I went to Wallies when the accepted M's coupons. I stock piled both sizes.
I was concerned about the newer mats adhesive when the first came out and many folks where saying that the adhesive was not near as strong.
I have so many because I do use the Zig for applying new adhesive it works well and the matts last forever.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Not smart, just lazy! LOL

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to SherylEb

That sounds like me, LOL!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

Hate my Cricut mats. They don't work for long. I bought Krylon repositionable spray (HL). It comes in a spray can. It lasts a long time. I also have Silhouette mats and they are amazing (way more expensive though). Wish they were interchangeable. The Cricut mats a wee bit larger.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to 950nancy

I used to have the original cricut with the 6x12 mats. I sold it to a friend along with mats, etc when I got my expression. I found I had one 6x12 mat I hadn't used yet. I cut the side down just a little so it was the same width as the expression mat and I use it when I'm going to cut something small. That way I'm not using up my 12x12 mats so much for a little thing that will cut out in the corner.

I also move the object around on the mat so it's not always in the same corner. Makes the mat last longer, and i only use enough paper for what i want to cut. But then I have a gypsy and do everything on there. You can do it without if you know what size object our cutting. Put the paper where you want on the mat and move the blade to that point. Then hit size paper (or something along those lines) and it will cut there.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to SherylEb

Sheryl, you're my Cricut mat hero, LOL! I love the 6x12 mat suggestion too! I believe mats are on sale this week too. Have to grab both the 6x12 & the 12x24 ones. Thanks!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I buy the spray adhesive that goes with the Slice machine. Perfect on the Cricut mat and I don't have to do it very often.

Diva
In response to Henri Jean

Great ideas...I am usually buying the mats, but willing to try the glue!

ckair 
Veteran
  • ckair on 02-18-13 07:21 AM
In response to bayamonesa1

I tried the glue on the cricut mats. I used undo to get all the adhesive off and then used the Zig glue pen referenced above but it never worked. The paper just tore and I could not get the images off the mat. I let the Zig glue dry overnight. What coujld I hve done wrong? I would love to be able to re stick my cricut mats!! Thanks.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to ckair

I'm having trouble with my new mats also. They're just not as sticky as the old ones were when they were new. I've ended up using painter's tape to tape down the edges of everything I "stick" to the mat. Works fine, but the lack of stickiness on the mat steams me.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to meezerpleaser

This is what I have been doing lately because I am too lazy to resticky and too cheap to keep getting out new ones.
When I lay my paper down in the spot to cut, I lift each corner, run a small amount of my ATG tape and then use my brayer to get a good connection and it works great.
At first I thought it may cause issues with my blade but so far it hasn't. If it gets gummed up I just kinda rub it off. I do this with both my Cricut and Cameo mats.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to ChansGram

BTW, have you seen where you can buy a sheet of "sticky" for the mats!! You just wipe down your mat, take this "sticky sheet" lay it on your mat and then use a scraper to it. And they are much cheaper than buying a new mat.
I think I saw a 3 pk for $15.
I found it while looking through Penny Duncan Creations site.
OK, I went and looked- they're called RE-Nu sheets. But I didn't see the 3 pk price but still $5 a sheet.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics