Username Post: Help with Stamping        (Topic#1585215)
scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

I admit it; I am a terrible stamper. I have watched you tube so many times and am always not getting the whole image inked. I understand the difference between dye/pigment ink and have both clear and wooden stamps. I make sure I have enough ink on the stamp, and I wipe the edges before putting on paper, but it never fails to be missing part of the image (ink still on the stamp) when I'm done. They say not to rock the stamp, so I've now tried rocking and not. Also, any tips on using markers to stamp are appreciated as would be nice to not just have one color on an image without coloring in after on the paper. Thanks for the help!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to scrapchica

The problem might be the surface you are stamping on. My Close to my Heart stamp sets come with a foam cushion that you are supposed to use under the paper and above your stamping surface. It helps to deliver a crisp, stamped image. I use that for all of my stamping. Try using a mouse pad, a piece of felt, or a thick paper towel below the paper you are stamping on.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Luvmyfam

Interesting idea! Thanks for the tip! Do you have to worry about the edges of the stamp more since it's softer? Like, when I rocked it without wiping the excess, I got the obligatory stamp ends here ink on the outside of the image HA

TesaB
TesaB 
Mayor
TesaB
  • TesaB on 02-16-13 11:26 PM

The cushion is a great idea. It might not help with the edges, though.

The edges could depend on the stamps. I work mainly with really good red rubber stamps like from Heartfelt Creations or The Rubber Cafe and I never ever have any problems with the edges. No wiping off excess ink, no smearing. But I've tried some other brands that will do this sometimes and it's really frustrating.

The way you ink your stamps might also get the edges inked up. Try placing the stamp on a flat surface, stamp side up. And ink with your ink pad and try to hold the ink pad straight from above all the time.

Also when stamping, try standing up. That way you are more sure of getting the stamp straight down to your surface and you also get a nice firm press straight from above without rocking.

I don't know if this helps, but it might. Good luck!!!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to TesaB

Great tips! Keep'em coming! Thanks ladies.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• scrapchica Said:
Interesting idea! Thanks for the tip! Do you have to worry about the edges of the stamp more since it's softer? Like, when I rocked it without wiping the excess, I got the obligatory stamp ends here ink on the outside of the image HA

I always wipe off the excess to avoid the edges leaving a mark. The cushion I use is very, very thin. The image usually comes out very crisp throughout. I also never rock. I ink up the stamp, check that it is evenly inked and that there is no excess ink on the edges, and then I press firmly and hold. On larger stamps, I will press firmly, hold with one hand, and then use the other hand to press down all of the points individually.

Also, I never use distress ink if I want a crisp image. If will use it if I want a grungy or imperfect image.

nanalovesyou
Idol
nanalovesyou
In response to Luvmyfam

I love the idea of using a mouse pad to put under the paper and then stamp design. I am anxious to try this. I have the same problem, so I am hoping this will solve this issue.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to nanalovesyou

Stamping takes practice. Keep at it, it does pay off eventually.
Sometime it is the surface you are stamping on, the ink you are using, the stamps themselves. Some stamps do not ink as well as others. I have a very hard time with cheap stamps. The dollar stamps don't ink well for me at least. There are a lot of companies that sell ink and stamps- they work well together. I would check out one of those to see if your results are better. HTHs!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to binkiemonstermom

Sometimes rubbing an eraser over the stamps before inking them will remove any residue on them and might make the images clearer. Sometimes

srichter
Resident
srichter
In response to Kim222

A few additional tips:

1. Cheaper acrylic stamps that don't hold the ink well, or that "bead up" the ink, I take a light nail file and just run it gently over the surface of the stamp before inking.

2. I find really detailed/photo realistic stamps (like this one: http://store.scrapbook.com/ink-60-00876.html?t12-13=ink... ) work better using versafine ink than regular. Not sure what the difference is between it and other ink pads, but it seems to give a better impression on these detailed ones

3. Lastly, if I don't get a good stamp impression I stand up and use my whole hand to push down on the stamp.

Good luck

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 02-27-13 12:47 PM
In response to srichter

I have a glass board that I use for stamping. It is a completely level surface, so my stamped images turn out well. I also like to stand up to stamp, but if I am sitting down, I lean over the stamp and board as I stamp. I think having a level surface when stamping is one of the best ways to get even results. Keep trying, you will get better with practice! Best wishes!

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 02-27-13 12:50 PM
In response to meela

I don't know if they sell them here anymore, but do search for EK Success glass cutting mat if you want to see what a glass cutting board is like. They work great for stamping as well as for other things.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to meela

Make sure the surface you're stamping on is firm! Card tables and cheap craft tables don't give you enough support. Solid wood tables or glass tables are wonderful.

If it's a big image, stand up, and press firmly all over the stamp before lifting it up. You could also turn the stamp upside down, and lay the paper over the stamp and rub your hand, a bone folder, or a brayer over it.

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 03-15-13 01:33 PM
In response to Hdubarry

Sometimes it helps to roll the stamp. You can buy acrylic blocks with a slight curve to them.

cindy71
Resident
cindy71

I had this same problem until recently, and still do, sometimes. I think it's a hazard of the trade.

But, I bought the Fiskars Stamp Press (the mini one) and a new craft mat and my stamping has greatly improved. Maybe that's just because I spent time learning what works best with the Stamp Press, but it works for me!

Another thing I found works best (and you probably already know this) is to take the ink to the stamp, not the other way around. I flip my stamp upside down and ink it, and then flip it back over to stamp. Works so much better for me. I keep a box of baby wipes around to clean the press between stamps.

I also tend to over ink, so I keep a scrap 12x12 paper on my desk and stamp off once or twice before I go to my actual project.

Finally (goodness, I'm long winded this morning) I lightly dust my paper with the EK Success powder tool, even when I'm not embossing. I find it sweeps away dust or little bits of glitter or whatever that may affect my stamping.

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to cindy71

All great ideas.

I have one more suggestion. Some stamps are simply not well made. I have one wooden-mounted rubber stamp which has never stamped in the middle. I guess that the foam backing or the rubber is slightly thinner at that point.

If you're having the same trouble with multiple stamps, it is more likely to be technique though. Stamping takes practise.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to RedSquirrel

Well thank you all for the suggestions. I made a tool inventory book this past week, so I had several chances to try all these tricks. I have to say, they certainly helped and the stamping is looking much better.

SherylEb
Guru
SherylEb

If your using clear stamps, you don't need to push down as you do with the red rubber stamps. It actually makes the stamped image a little more blurry. Also as one f the other posters said, if using clear, after you apply the ink, look at the stamp. If its really blotchy, it probably not going to stamp well. Now some spottiness is on it, it may be fine. I know hero art and PTI and jenni bowlin seem to spread a little and even that back out.

I also like using a mouse pad, but I'd suggest a thin one. Most people tend to stamp too hard. If you have a spot that tends to not stamp well, just run over that spot really well. You do have to push harder on red rubber stamps.

Heck25
Heck25 
Tenant
Heck25
In response to SherylEb

Hi! All of the suggestions above are great. I am not a very 'accomplished' stamper either... I just start and pray that it looks good when I'm done. It doesn't have to be perfect, that's the charm of 'handmade'.
Anyway, you also asked about using markers (they do have some made for this purpose) to color the stamp. My best friend's mom was stamping since before scrapping was popular, and I remember that if she did this: the last thing before putting stamp to paper was breathe on it to re-dampen the stamp (like breathing on a window or your glasses to steam them up). Because if you're putting two or three colors on it, the first might be somewhat dry by the time you stamp. It works great, and it was something I never forgot.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics