Username Post: Weird question re stamps        (Topic#1585233)
dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

OK, I'll admit right up front that I'm just the opposite of most of you when it comes to stamping. I LOVE wood-mounted stamps, and while I have a lot of clear ones, (and they are well organized), I find I never use them because ... well, I love wood-mounted stamps! I see a ton of articles on unmounting wood-mounted stamps, but does anyone know how I can do just the opposite? I'd like to mount my clear ones onto wood bases so I'll actually use them. (1) Where do I get wood bases? and (2) How do I do this for the best results?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-17-13 10:29 AM
In response to dwelch

I've seen wooden blocks on some rubber stamp company websites. I just googled to see if I could remember which, exactly, and there's even a site called woodforrubbrerstamps.com. Of course! lol. Blockhead Stamps probably has some, as well as advice on how to do it.

I love wood-mounted stamps but I try not to collect too many, I just don't have the space. My favorites to buy are unmounted rubber, the best of both worlds - great rubber stamping quality, and easier to store like the clear ones.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to stick

I also love wood mounted stamps!
It actually never occurred to me to mount my clear ones onto wood.....
Great idea!

Alison

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to kiyawinn

I love wood mounted stamps, too. I also prefer them to clear, but like Stick, don't have the room to make all of my clear or unmounted rubber ones onto wooden bases.

I'd also imagine that you could purchase wood at a Home Depot or Lowe's and ask them to cut it for you. Then you could sand and clearcoat it. A lot of work, but an idea. It also wouldn't have the handy-dandy grooves on the side that a lot of wood-mounted stamps have (unless you could find a length of wood shaped like that).

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to siameseplease

Wood mounted ones are my favorite too. I don't have very many and have been able to store them just stacked on top of each other so I can see the designs. I'll need a few more before I have storage troubles~LOL

You might try looking at the trim and molding aisle of a good lumber store. You can pay them to cut to whatever sizes you want. I think a 1x4 might be a good size. If you bought an 8 footer, you'd end up with lots of pieces.

I was wondering though, have any of you had cracks in yours? I'm not sure what I did wrong, but a few of my stamps have developed small cracks in the rubbery part. Does anyone know how to prevent this? Maybe I should mention that I do live in a desert, but since it hasn't happened to all of my stamps, I'm not sure it's a lack of humidity.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to gin1902

• gin1 Said:
I was wondering though, have any of you had cracks in yours? I'm not sure what I did wrong, but a few of my stamps have developed small cracks in the rubbery part. Does anyone know how to prevent this? Maybe I should mention that I do live in a desert, but since it hasn't happened to all of my stamps, I'm not sure it's a lack of humidity.

Do you use wipes to clean them? Many wipes contain alcohol which dries out rubber. Look for any ingredients ending in -ol, like ethanol. They are alcohols. See if you can find alcohol-free wipes or special cleaner to clean them.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to RedSquirrel

I have a stamp store near me that I've had make stamps that Henri Jean and I wanted. They are wood block, so if you have a store near you I would contact them.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to dwelch

interesting idea, mounting clear stamps to make them easier/faster to use.

Personally... what I would do is just be on the lookout (in stores, flea markets, etc.)for something that would work. It could be wooden, plastic, even a dense cardboard or lightweight metal.

Doing a couple quick internet searches, you could buy a bag of "wooden blocks"(the kind in various shapes, not the kind with the alphabet). Some are very colorful and have unusual shapes. What jumped out at me was the triangular shape which would be easy to grasp.

What I would not do (I am saying this having EXTENSIVE wood working skills, I owned 3 wooden sailboats by myself so believe me I know wood working!) what I would not do is get involved in any kind of cutting wood, varnishing it, etc. Sure you could do it, but there are readily available things out there.

another cute idea is mounting them on wooden thread spools. This would work for the smaller stamps.

and on ebay right now...
"Large Box of 90 Maple WOODEN BLOCKS For Mounting RUBBER STAMPS 7 Different Sizes"

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
  • gin1 Said:

Do you use wipes to clean them? Many wipes contain alcohol which dries out rubber. Look for any ingredients ending in -ol, like ethanol. They are alcohols. See if you can find alcohol-free wipes or special cleaner to clean them.

I've only ever used barely damp paper towels to wipe off ink and then dried them with a dry paper towel. I'll try some alcohol-free wipes. Thank you!!!

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
interesting idea, mounting clear stamps to make them easier/faster to use.

Personally... what I would do is just be on the lookout (in stores, flea markets, etc.)for something that would work. It could be wooden, plastic, even a dense cardboard or lightweight metal.

Doing a couple quick internet searches, you could buy a bag of "wooden blocks"(the kind in various shapes, not the kind with the alphabet). Some are very colorful and have unusual shapes. What jumped out at me was the triangular shape which would be easy to grasp.

What I would not do (I am saying this having EXTENSIVE wood working skills, I owned 3 wooden sailboats by myself so believe me I know wood working!) what I would not do is get involved in any kind of cutting wood, varnishing it, etc. Sure you could do it, but there are readily available things out there.

another cute idea is mounting them on wooden thread spools. This would work for the smaller stamps.

and on ebay right now...
"Large Box of 90 Maple WOODEN BLOCKS For Mounting RUBBER STAMPS 7 Different Sizes"

My husband and I have done a lot of woodwork too (lost our minds and built our house. And by "built our house" I don't mean we picked out carpet samples and pointed whilst a construction crew did the work, I mean he and I actually did the building) and so the idea of making wooden stamp holders sort of seemed easy. You're quite right though, Gelidy Gelato, there are probably a lot of pre-made blocks available. I love your idea of the wooden spools-very easy to grip.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to gin1902

OK - just bought the set of 90 wooden stamps on e-bay - now what? Any ideas on how to attach the stamps to the blocks? Do I need special padding or what kind of glue? Thanks!!!!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to dwelch

I would use something like gorilla glue or beacon 3 in 1. 3 in one is scrapbook safe

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Sneezy1956

Since clear and unmounted rubber stamps don't have any padding or cushion that you really need to get a good image, you could use EZ Mount to give them that. You could also use the glues Jane mentioned and just stamp over a mouse pad, magazine, or similar surface.

teresa0817
Expert
teresa0817
In response to siameseplease

I'm pretty sure you would need the gray middle stuff, I don't know what you call it. I've bought it and its sticky on both sides. Works great

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to teresa0817

I don't know if it's what you're thinking of, but there is stuff that I meant to order the other day, but forgot. It's called Tack 'n Peel by Tsukineko. I just bought a whole bunch of unmounted rubber stamps and was wondering what I was supposed to do with them. I used a few of them by using a little adhesive to attach them to an acrylic stamping block, and used an old mousepad underneath the paper I was stamping on and it worked good, but then I had to clean the adhesive off. I think I'm going to get the Tack 'n Peel and a new stamping block that I can use for it.~Judy

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to mrsdriver5

Tack and peel is great but comes in a small sheet and is not cheap. I think the cost would be prohibitive for mounting all you clear stamps. There are sheets (the size of notebook paper) of the thicker mounting foam stuff. Remember... it will need to be cut to the same shape/size as your rubber stamp. I would recommend using the Fiskars "no stick" scissors to cut it.

Diva
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Now, that you talk about it...I am finding myself using more my wooden based stamps!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics