Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: preplan pages for crop or not        (Topic#1585247)
mindygail
Expert
mindygail

Hi! I am going to an expo/crop on friday and I dont have a ton of room to pack for it! I can fit all of my paper that i want into the bag i am taking BUT I have heard alot of people on here say they preplan their pages and only take what they need. What is my best bet for doing this? should i pre-plan and just take some paper or all? This is my first BIG crop!!!
thanks,
Mindy gail

angie-KS scrap retreat
Veteran
angie-KS scrap retreat
In response to mindygail

I always "preplan" - trying to take only what I need. If you have time to do this, I think it's a good thing. I seem to get more done that way, already having an idea of what I'm doing. I also make sure to bring some extra paper & embellishments that might coordinate with my plans... Have a great time - I LOVE weekend retreats!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to angie-KS scrap retreat

Ok I will give it a shot!! It is just a scrapbook expo and crop not a retreat never been on one of those or to an expo should be fun!!!
thanks,
Mg

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to mindygail

have fun

Diva
In response to cescrapper

No matter how much I try to pre-plan my pages, I always chenge my mind once I am at the crop!. Still, I take many other papers, ribbons, embellishments, etc. ..or I make cards! Not very good with pre-planning! Have fun!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bayamonesa1

Are you sure it's a crop?
The expos I have gone to have classes you sign up for, but otherwise, it's mostly vendor booths.
Have you signed up to crop?

I usually plan what I want to work on, and then throw in some extra photos or paper "just in case." I even sketch out my layout, then put everything for that layout in one envelope (with some extra things, if I change my mind).

The crops I go to are a group of friends, so we do a LOT of socializing. I can't focus on planning AND creating a layout AND talking!

I think it is easier to put some effort in planning ahead of time, rather than bringing your entire inventory.
I will typically plan my layouts for a week (or more) before the crop.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Bxr-Linda

I always try to preplan at least a little bit when I go on the retreat once a year....
I put in the photos, layout ideas and supplies that I think I'll need but like Linda, I always end up taking extra stuff!
I guess I don't take everything....that would almost be impossible! I do try to narrow it down, though....

Alison

Jaci67
Jaci67 
Resident
Jaci67
In response to kiyawinn

I usually preplan pages with pics but at a recent crops I have scrapped multiple pages from a single paperpack without pictures but pages that I know I will have pics for of my grandkids. At one I created a gift book for a friend who just had a baby. So I took a paperpack with coordinating printed papers with coordinating solids. The particular paper pack had all the differnet embellishments...chipboard shapes, letters, ribbon, buttons, etc. I made an entire albums with 16 double pages in 2 days. It was awesome!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Jaci67

What I pack depends on the crop.

If I am cropping in a store, I will bring photos and coordinating embellishments. I can buy the rest at the store.

If I am cropping where I cannot purchase anything, I will bring photos, a coordinating paper collection, cardstock, and a handful of assorted buttons, eyelets, brads, etc. Anything I can't finish at the crop will be finished at home.

An expo crop can be a bit of a hybrid. The one closest to me has the crop in a separate building from the vendors. Yes.....you can go buy things if you need to, but it's a hike and it can be overwhelming to shop in a venue that huge. Another expo I attended had the crop area right next to the vendors. Handy, but very LOUD. In a loud area like that, I would feel too overwhelmed to make good choices. I think that for an expo crop, I would pre-plan my pages. Anything I need can still be purchased.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Luvmyfam

Yes I preplan, even if it's only photos, sketch, papers and a pile of ribbons, brads, stamps etc.

And try to get all the wet stuff done in advance, such as Stickles on alphas, or misting. Packing up wet things is a major nuisance.

It sounds like a lot of fun - enjoy yourself!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to RedSquirrel

gotcha thanks girls!! I (this morning) went ahead and picked out some xmas papers from the pad of paper and paper cliped the photos to the papers.
I am going to have to buy red and black paper for one of the lay outs at the expo!!!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to mindygail

I always plan my pages. I bring an assortment of choices and don't use everything I bring, but I like lots of choices. My embellishments are always in travel friendly storage and I toss those in my rolling storage. If I am going for a long crop, it all goes in my red wagon (Sam's). Since never get through all of my pages, I have started bringing fewer page kits and not bringing as much stuff. The best rolling storage I found ($ wise) was hockey rolling luggage. It held a ton and the wheels were super sturdy.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to mindygail

I try to make page kits that include everything for the page, including embellishments. If I don't get this done I at least pick out the paper for the photos and just take many embellies to matchup there. I have to take so much when I don't make the kits and then I am not productive when I get there - just can't think! I usually take an extra project, like sorting pictures or a few magazines for when I am done with my pages or just need a break..... all can be so intense!!!

BoysKeoghMom
Veteran
BoysKeoghMom
In response to wilbur

I take a couple of pictures and a mix of media, tools, paper and supplies. Once I arrive I feel my way through what I want to scrap and be produtive. I wouldnt call it a kit since 75% of what I bring I dont use. I just have to have a stroke of genious and be without what I need.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to BoysKeoghMom

I typically only go to three day crops other than quick afternoon crops but I try to preplan paper and ribbon but then I take my clip it up with me with all my embellishments.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Sneezy1956

pre plan for sure! i do pick the papers for the pics and most likely the sketch too - but I always end up working in two stages: first the background/layering/photo s then embellies. Mostly for the crops, I'd put together kits of the pic+sketch + paper (more than i'll use but some that I think may go with the pic/sketch or coordinate with others). this way I can concentrate on cutting-glueing-chatterin g without having to make hard decisions LOL) then finish embellishing at home, where there's time and space to spread out the possibilities and search out the embellies that match. the key is to enjoy the time))

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to OlesyaK.

You will get sooooo much more done if you pre-plan even a little bit; however, I never follow that advice

Magpie1
Tenant
Magpie1
In response to Kim222

I try to pre-plan as much as time allows. I bring photos, a couple of different paper choices for each layout, my favourite ribbons, brads, letter stickers, etc.

Then of course my basics like pens, adhesives, trimmers etc. I always bring a black and a brown distress ink pad as a go to for distressing edges.

If I think I'm going to need punched shapes, I try to pre-punch those ahead of time so I don't need to bring bulky punches with me.

I'm jealous...have fun!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Magpie1

two weeks and I have a weekend crop I'm so excited..I'm already packing have my mists stamps and punches ready have a lot more to get ready.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Magpie1

I seriously preplan. I make my own kits with paper, cardstock, embellies, and even a sketch of what I want it to look like when its done. I just have to do the assembly.

Actually, whenever I work on my pages I get them all desgined and then I sketch out what I did and put them in a manila file folder and place it in my projects file. When I got to the last crop I had 70 pages ready to assemble.

Right now I think I have about 10 ready and like to build it up to 40 or 50. Some of the ones now have a lot of detail to be done and lettering.

Usually I can do a page in 15-20 minutes at a crop but sometimes the pages take an hour.

If I'm making letters on my Cricut I make the letters first and lift them onto drywall tape so I can just plop the letters on my layout and they are lined up. Saves so much time.

I take chalk with me to distress edges because that is simple and not messy, rarely take my distress inks unless I need them.

Mostly I take lots of extra adhesives and detail scissors and of course, my pages kits and several packs of black cardstock because I make my mats at the crop.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics