Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Are smaller pictures on layouts popular at the moment?        (Topic#1585313)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

OK, I'm not trying to start a debate or insult anyone here. I am just curious more than anything else

I love looking through the galleries especially the favorite tab to just get inspiration and ideas. I've been noticing more and more 12X12 layouts with just 1 very small picture (smaller than 4x6) filled with embellies. I usually shrink my pictures down to smaller sizes whenever I do a layout with 3 or more pictures. I have a bunch of 5X7s (mainly school and sports pictures) that I had planned on scrapping as a single picture, but now those pictures look so big compared to what I see in the gallery.

Is using a single small picture the new trend?

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Mama2Thomas

I think Instagram has made the small picture trend explode...

but yeah- you're right, it's a big trend.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to designguyKORY

cool I had no idea about that i mean I have seen one single small photo with a ton of embellies but did not think of it as trending!!! Good question!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-20-13 11:48 AM
In response to mindygail

Yeah think this is totally trendy. I still prefer the larger photos on a single photo layout though because I like to see the details. Some of the ones with smaller photos are gorgeous though.

But I was just working on a page on Monday and I did the same thing... I had the photo printed in 5x7 (as well as the original 4x6 I had printed forever ago) and the 5x7 just looked weird. I decided to use the 4x6 instead and to me it looked better. I know this isn't what you mean by small pictures, but I just used to automatically think on a single photo page that 5x7 would be better and now my opinion has changed.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Vae

I love using tiny pics...esp multiple ones.

I think it looks good with negative space or clustering.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-20-13 01:43 PM
In response to Manda_K

Sure it's a trend and some scrappers make it look so great.

But guess what? Trends come and go and we all scrap the way we like. So if you see something you like try it - trendy or not.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to GMFTS

I honestly don't keep up with 'trends' and what's hot.

I like using a larger focal-point photo PLUS several smaller ones.
One tiny (2x3 for example) and lots of embellishments is usually NOT my favorite. I'm not a fan when I look at a layout and it's hard to tell if there IS a photo.

But, hey, everyone has their preferences. The differences in interpretation is very interesting, even if it's not *my* favorite.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Mama2Thomas

I've recently done two 12x12's that have an 8x10 photo, actually hard to do. I mostly have 5x7's, IF it is just one photo. Today, I working with two photos, a 4x6 and a wallet size. For me, it's about the photo, but I do like to have room for goodies.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 02-20-13 03:31 PM
In response to CrimsonMama

I've never been a trend girl. Matter of fact in my younger days, I went as far away from the trend as I could!!!

I did use all wallet size pictures on a spread I did recently, but it was an 8x8 and I would have never gotten 4 bigger ones on it!!

Trying to stay up with the trends is why I stopped scrapping a few years back.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to KimKV

trendy or not, I think it's a cool look

that beind said, I usually have my pics printed at 4x6 for convenience sake more than anything else, and then crop them down if the pic and the LO warrant

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

I love the smaller photos on pages but speaking as an older person than most on the board - you reach the point where you can't see the small photos easily. Even with glasses. The eyesight does do mean things to you.

For that reason I'm using more and more 5 x 7's - so my mother can see them and I can see them as I get older.

When I use small photos I usually have one 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 made and then use similar photos in a smaller size.

But I really do have trouble seeing the photos if they are really small. As much as I hate to say it, that happens to all of us.

For that reason I'm careful using small photos.

But have I seen some beautiful layouts made around one tiny photo and some of the examples are gorgeous!

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d
In response to Henri Jean

Every time I blink I see a new technique, new trend, new gadget and it can all be somewhat overwhelming!! But this is an art form that is very personal!! So I take the stance of I will try it if I like it and pass if I don't even if that makes me a trend dud lol(:

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to res19s2d

I can understand the artistic appeal for small photos with a lot of embellishments, but I have so much I want to show on my layouts that I feel like, for me, it would be a waste of useable, storytelling space. That being said, I am trying to do something using smaller photos from the 60s and 70s for a memorial album for my father. I think it really depends on the album's purpose.

-Stephanie

Diva
In response to SJB1120

I use mainly 4x6 and any size the phots are when I am working on a LO. They get smaller if I want to eliminate or cut something out of the picture.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to bayamonesa1

I don't follow the trend thing either. To me, a page full of embellishments with a small photo is a way for companies to push their product. I want people to focus on the pictures and the story, not the product being used. But, to each their own.... that is why scrapbooking is so awesome... so full of diversity.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to SJB1120

• SJB1120 Said:
I can understand the artistic appeal for small photos with a lot of embellishments, but I have so much I want to show on my layouts that I feel like, for me, it would be a waste of useable, storytelling space. That being said, I am trying to do something using smaller photos from the 60s and 70s for a memorial album for my father. I think it really depends on the album's purpose.

-Stephanie

the 'older' photos were smaller than the normal 4x6 of now. I too am using some for memorial albums: they are what they are. Remember "sticker sneeze" saying? I think someday some of the layouts of now (lots of flowers/tiny pic) will be called "Flower sneeze".

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

I think you are right Diana!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-21-13 09:10 AM
In response to Sunnydi

LOL that is so true! Just yesterday I was standing in HL holding something and wondering what I will think in 20 years when I look back on my pages. I am sure I will still love them but on some of them I might say 'what was I THINKING???' LOL! But I'm okay with that. When I look back at my first albums now, the ones that I really REALLY want to redo are the ones that were too plain. I'm talking 3 wallet sized school photos of my cousins stuck to a black piece of construction paper and that's it. Hehe. That's when I could tell I was really rushing through them just trying to get them onto pages. Might as well have just done a traditional album on some of those.

So I don't worry about the trends now, I'm sure no matter what I will have some pages that I look at and think about redoing, and others that I look at and LOVE. But I probably will like them all as long as I did at least a little something on them.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vae

I think the layouts with the tiny pics and lots of white space tend to come from designers or those on design teams or published in magazines.
It is a very nice, artsy look....

However, for me, I'm telling our family stories (mainly with photos and journalling) not making something to hang on a wall....so those types of layouts don't work for me.
I do sometimes use lots of smaller pics in grid form or photobooth style but that is usually in order to fit more pics on the page!
I don't do layouts with lots of white space although, I do think they can look nice.

Alison

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to kiyawinn

I love using sketches, and I've noticed that many of them are focussing on small photos now, with lots of "white space", not necessarily embellishment space. White space is a recent trend, definitely.

There's a sketch blog which has been running weekly sketch challenges for 5 years and it's closing, and it's selling books of all the sketches. The older ones are mainly for 6x4 photos, and the latest ones favour smaller ones.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics