Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: ~*~March Leftovers Layout Challenge~*~        (Topic#1585347)
GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

Here's another that I've resurrected from before I was retired and had no time to keep up with my life, much less the challenges that I loved to host. And it's one that my scrap box is screaming decidedly for me to get it back to work.

This one is SIMILAR to a "use your scraps" challenge, only it has a SIGNIFICANT twist. You may use any sketch or lift any layout you like, or you may create your own from scratch, but the rule is...

You may only use things that you have left over from from other projects that you have finished. In other words, your entire layout will be made up completely of "leftovers."

1. You cannot cut or use an **unused or fresh sheet** of paper or cardstock, not even for the background.

(Yep, you read that right. Not even for the background.)

2. You cannot use a new roll of ribbon or fiber.

3. You cannot open a new package of any type of embellishment.

4. No fresh ink or new adhesive packages either. If you run out in the middle of your project, you'll have to improvise!

Handmade embellishments, provided that they are made from LEFTOVER materials, are ok. Typical examples are handmade flowers, leaves, piecework images, etc.
Printed images (such as butterflies) that you have left over from another project are allowed.

Newly created titles or printed objects are outside the heart of this challenge. Examples are printed or diecut titles or images (such as butterflies) that you print from your computer created specifically for your Leftovers Layout project.

RAK BONUS! USED UP TWIST POINTS
Each each package of product that you "finish up" on your layout counts as one twist point. In other words, ANY package of left over product you use up, empty out, finish up, and toss out on your layout will count. If you use up the last of that ratty old cat-eye ink and toss it into the trash when you've finished your LO, you can count it. I'll even let you include paper or cardstock as a twist item, provided the piece you start with is at least a 36 square inch piece (that means it's either 6x6 or 3x12 or 4x9 or some other product that produces 36.)

Twist points are cumulative. You can create as many layouts as you want for this challenge - provided they ALL meet the challenge specs and contain NO NEW PRODUCT - and add the twist points as a running total for the entire month.

TWIST POINTS ARE ONLY FOR PRODUCT THAT YOU USE UP. IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING LEFT OVER - A SINGLE BRAD, AN INCH OF RIBBON, A BIT OF BLING - YOU CANNOT COUNT THAT ITEM AS TWIST POINTS. YOU HAVE TO USE IT ALL! THIS GOES FOR PAPER AS WELL. NO PIECE INTO THE TRASH OR BACK TO THE SCRAP BOX, NO MATTER HOW SMALL. YOU HAVE TO USE UP THE WHOLE SCRAP IF YOU WANT TO COUNT IT FOR POINTS, SO PLAN YOUR PROJECT ACCORDINGLY!

You are responsible to count how many twists you've included on your project. When you post your project, you MUST list the twist points in order to qualify for the RAK Bonus. The LO with the most twist points at the end of the month will be declared the challenge winner and will receive a small RAK from me - like we all need more stash, right???

** You do not have to use up everything you use on your layout. It is fine to use two of the last three flowers you have in a package. You just wouldn't be able to count those for twist points. In my layout below, I have three sheets of paper at work, two of which I used up and counted, one of which I still had part of left and didn't count. The point is - NOTHING you see on this layout came from a new sheet or a new package.

Layouts must be new as of TODAY. Challenge ends the last day of the month!

Enter as many LOs as you wish. Stretch yourself creatively and frugally!
No sign up required.

Here's a sample from my gallery :
Big Sister - 8 points

Twist Points :
1. Background Paper (with a big hole)
2. Die Cut Label Paper (leftover)
3. Big Peach Flower (last in the package)
4. Daisy Flowers (last in the package)
5. Butterflies (last on the sheet)
6. Bling flourishes (bits and pieces now gone)
7. Green Leaves (tucked under the flowers)
8. Charcoal Cat Eye Ink (shredded and tossed)

Ok. That's the game. Who wants to play?

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to GentlewoodFarms

Players and Projects

1. Doreena Total Points = 8
Applebees = 3 points

This Pic = 5 points

2. GentlewoodFarms Total Points = 6
Happiness = 6 points

3. AllAmy Total Points = 5
Super Hero = 5 points

4. Tinadn Total Points = 1
Did I do that? = 1 point

5. Star77 Total Points = 6
A child is a gift = 6 points

6. Amarilys Total Points = 2
77th bday = 2 points

7. Tena E. Total Points = 3
"Date Knight" = 3 points

8. Tinadn Total Points = 18
10-4 good buddy = 10 points

Maid of Honor = 8 points

9. Fabricfrenzy Total Points = 1
The Girls = 1 points

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

Very cool idea!
Hmmmm.... I will def mark as fav and see if I come up w/ anything!

Scrappin_baby
Governor
Scrappin_baby
In response to Doreena

I sure would like to try this too...I have a lot of those leftovers that I cannot throw out but have a challenge in using

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Scrappin_baby

I want to join! I just went through and trimmed up my mountain of scraps and organized them, so I really need to use up stuff!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to justowen

Trying to figure out how I am going to do this!
The fact that the BG paper can't be a new sheet is what's going to get me! Yikes!!!

Edited by Doreena on 02-25-13 09:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
Trying to figure out how I am going to do this!
The factthatthe BG paper can't be a new sheet is what's going to get me! Yikes!!!

I've been known to cut photo mats from the CENTER of my cardstock or paper, just so I'll have a frame to use for a leftovers project. ;-)

Or you can use paper strips. Or a piece that you used to punch out some decorative work from. Or something that you did some fussy cutting out of.

Lots of options.

star77
star77 
Guru
star77

I would love to do one!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to star77

Okay I stumbled across some pieces of paper to use for my BG! Yay! Gonna get started!

New Kid On the Block

I'd like to join! Seems fun... I have a bunch of scraps from classes that I should probably use...

julie101
Idol
julie101
In response to kristenheartsu

Yes please I would love to join I have tones of scraps in my box

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to julie101

This challenge taught me when matting a photo to use the middle of a sheet of pp and then I can use th rest of it for the background of another layout....and it will look like a whole sheet of pp soooo I have lots of cardstock and pps with holes in them just waiting for this challenge....hip hip hooray...it's back and I'm in.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to dollscrap

• dollscrap Said:
This challenge taught me when matting a photo to use the middle of a sheet of pp and then I can use th rest of it for the background of another layout....and it will look like a whole sheet of pp soooo I have lots of cardstock and pps with holes in them just waiting for this challenge....hip hip hooray...it's back and I'm in.

I've done that before but I don't like how "flimsy", for lack of a better term, the middle winds up feeling so I don't do it to often.
It's all in my head I'm sure...

I did find a piece of kraft cardstock that I had punched 2 circles out of, small and large, that I am using as part of my BG paper. Now that I have that part out of the way I should be good w/ the rest of the challenge!

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up w/!!!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Doreena

Glad to see the enthusiasm for this oldie goldie - which isn't really all that old, but has been on vacation for a bit.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

My first attempt at this challenge:

Applebees By Doreena

Everything is "Leftovers", as the challenge requires.

The twist points are as follows:
1. The Kraft BG paper - had a "large circle punch" and "small circle punch" hole cut out of it.
2. The polka dot PP - it's the other half of a 12 x 12 paper I had cut up for another layout (it's covering up the holes on my kraft paper)
3. The small turquoise and pink tab up at the top of the top picture.

Total = 3 twist points

I enjoyed using my leftovers but aquiring the twist points was more difficult than I thought!

Edited by Doreena on 03-01-13 06:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Doreena

THROW DOWN by DOREEN!

Awesome, girl! I'm working on one right now - and you're right. Those twist points definitely play hard to get!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

I enjoyed creating a layout for this callenge so much I want to do more! That's not a good thing though since I have so many other challenges to complete!

Question:
Is an already used stamp (rubber or clear, not postage)considered a "leftover"?

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Doreena

Yes, an already used stamp is considered a leftover.

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper

ACU

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to NMscrapper

This is a really fun challenge!
Created another layout:

This Pic By Doreena

Twist points:
1. BG paper -had a medium sized hole cut out of it which I covered w/ my photo and other elements
2. Green border -was a left over piece I had cut off when trying to make the original border fit on another page
3. Shaped pink PP at the botton of the pic -I had cut it in half and used the other half/opposite side, on another layout
4. Smash Book journaling spot -had cut the top part off of it and used it as a smaller journaling spot on a previous layout
5. The white red outlined paper behind the "beautiful" sticker -just a random leftover piece of paper I found in my stash

Total = 5 points
+ 3 from the last one = 8 points for the challenge so far.

I was able to make the layout fit for 4 other challenges too. Yay!

Edited by Doreena on 03-03-13 12:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics