Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Extra photos        (Topic#1585361)
Tenant

I am very new to this scrap booking. I have a lot of extra photos I am not using in my scrapbook. What do you do with all of them? Do I toss or keep?

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Homemaid

If they are not good quality, or if they are of some random scenes, I toss them.

If they are of people that I love, I will file them in a photo box. Every so often, I may need a random picture of them to scrap and then I'll go back through my box to see if I can find one there.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to flintridgescrapper

I send them to my mother or the people in the photos. I don't keep any of the photos I don't use they are in my computer if I ever want a copy and I know I will never go through my photo box.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-21-13 08:12 PM
In response to Henri Jean

I back up the digital images, and toss any printed ones that I won't use in scrapping.

Tenant
In response to stick

Thanks for your answers. I did throw some out yesterday but it was hard to do.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Homemaid

I don't throw them. Any I have printed and not scrapped go into a photo album, unless they are fuzzy, dark and awful.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

I'm with Kara - if the family doesn't want them or friends don't want them, I have a trash can by my desk.

I am the daughter of the hoarder. And the wife of a hoarder. Those closely related to hoarders end up one of two ways - they grow up to be hoarders themselves or they are appaled at hoarding and are compuled to throw away everything that isn't nailed down.

I throw away a lot of stuff and want or need it later but I can't having things in mhy possession it, at the time, I think I don't want or need them anymore.

Can't stand having clothes in my closet that don't fit and if I don't like dishes or anything anymore - they are gone that day.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat

I have a box for printed photos I won't use. I let all family and friends dig through it to take what they want. I sometimes use the old photos to make letters for another LO, but for the most part. If the box gets full, and it is a very small box, I dump it and just keep going. Your memories that you want to keep are in the book and the memories that you don't need or want are just taking up precious space in our small world. Remember change is good, so just keep moving forward and only look back in your scrapbooks.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NoirCat

You give good advice valice - I agree.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I toss printed photos I'm not using. I don't keep any of them.
I do keep all my photos on my computer, though. I only delete the bad ones and keep everything else. I back up to 2 separate places.
I copy my photos for a year (or event or every 6 months or whatever) onto a DVD and put the DVD into a pocket in the album.

Alison

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 02-27-13 12:36 PM
In response to kiyawinn

I give them to family and friends, and use the extras for birthday parties. It is fun to look through pics on someone's birthday. Just punch them or cut them into small shapes or sizes, mount on colorful cardstock, and put on the tables, or on babmboo skewers and put in vases. Party decor that is fun to look at. The rest I pitch.

Diva
In response to meela

I lkie the ideas for extra photos. I don't have the heart to throw them away!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to princelee1019

Please note the the poster above me in this thread, "princelee1019", is just copying text from posts elsewhere in the thread (in this case, from stick's post on 2/21). My experience with posters like this in the past has been that they often come back to edit the post with spam links later on.

Diva
In response to aquabunny

No good!

busybumblebee
New Kid On the Block
busybumblebee
In response to bayamonesa1

Keep them!! I use standard photo albums that color coordinate to the scrapbook (ie, if it's a pink scrapbook, I use a pink photo album) that houses the best photos. I look at scrapbooking as a way to showcase my favorite photos, but I would never dream of tossing my memories! That being said, if the photos are terrible quality, or I have tons of one particular scene, I will choose 2 or 3 that are the best and put those in the album. From there, I will just make digital copies and slide the disk into the back of the album.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to busybumblebee

I took Stacy Julian's Finding Photo Freedom class, and use my take on her method to sort and store my photos.
Basically it goes like this: Print only the photos I think I will use to scrapbook. Store them in a binder so I can see them and scrap what I want when the mood strikes. Pull some out and store in boxes sorted by category (like "places we go all the time", "kid's personality," "things we do over and over")
The ones that go in a box I let age, and mix, and occasionally pull out some, and get stories that are not event or time based. I did an old blog post about that a few years ago. Might help better explain what I mean.
http://heatherdubarry.com/?p=40

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Hdubarry

I like to print them all if I remotely even think I might scrap them.

Then I put them in file folders chronologically in order so I can scrap them in order.

There are almost always too many photos in the file for the pages. Those go to my mother or whoever is in the photo or I throw them away.

I just don't want the extra photos around. I never go back and look at them. I have photos that have been in a box for 20 years and I've never looked at them and I never will.

One of my girlfriends got married and her husband had huge boxes and boxes and boxes of photos that his mother left him. They fought and fought about all these photos.

They went through them and he kept a few of his parents and grandparents, gave a few to each of his kids and then all the ones they had no idea who the people were or just overkill and they didn't want them and the kids didn't want them - they tossed them. Nearly 9 boxes worth except for 30 or 40 they kept out for themselves and the kids.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry

That's why I scrapbook, actually! None of the photos I take will mean anything to anyone else, unless I tell the story behind them. I'm hoping to go through the photos my mom has hoarded from my grandparents and great-grandparents soon! We've already looked at some, and had no idea who some of the people were who were so important to my grandparents.
My photos won't have value to my kids or grandkids unless I explain something about them. It's all about the story!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Hdubarry

I agree with everything you said! The boxes my friend's husband inherited when his mother died - they were the big boxes that offices use to move hanging file folders. Big boxes! And 9 of them.

My friend wanted to just throw away all 9 big storage boxes but her husband did go through them and identified what who he could and gave some to relatives and kept a few. He had no idea what the stories were behind any of them. Once she got her husband used to the idea of throwing them away except for he few he wanted he made a project of going through a stack every day. Now they can walk in the floor of the guest room without tripping over the 9 huge boxes.

heather375
Tenant
heather375

I keep mine in a photo box. But, I normally only print, and only scrap, photos that involve my kids in some way. I take a bazillion pictures, but only kid ones get processed. I keep the extas, becasue I've found one of them is going to come home from school and need a picture for something, and of course, there's not advance notice, they need it NOW! and I hate taking pictures back out after I've scrapped!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics