Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: What Tools or Supplies Do you Forget to Use?        (Topic#1585365)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I forgot all about my poor neglected Crop-O-Dile and dragged it out for a layout recently. When I posted it in the gallery several people said they had forgotten about their eyelets - they needed to get them out and use them.

I forget all about my embossing folders and nesties. It never occurs to me to go through those to see if I can use them on the layout I'm working on.

Brads - I love to use them and never think about them.

I have a lot of embellies - tons of diecuts and they are filed in a way I think is logical.

However I don't check in all the categories when I'm doing a layout so I forget them. I'm working on layouts of my granddaughter now and couldn't find what I wanted under flowers or flourishes.

Then on a fluke I kept looking until I came to animals and found the cutest peach butterflies that match her dress exactly!

I also forget to check out punches and so many layouts would look so much better if I used them more. I have a nice selection - forget about them.

One thing I really forget about is my corner rounder. I love the corners of pictures rounded but how often do I remember to get out my corner rounder? About once a year.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Henri Jean

I would tell you, but I forget which ones they are

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-21-13 10:08 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

LOL all of the above. I have a lot of stuff in boxes and I can't see it so I don't think to use it. Then one day I'll remember it and use it a bunch until it goes away again. Hehe!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Vae

I use my Crop-a-dile a lot for punching holes, but I forget to use the eyelets. I'm not a huge eyelet fan to be honest, except for reinforcing a hole. I forget to use them for decoration.

Foam stamps. I'd donate them all if I knew who to give them to.

I've been realising lately that I'm not using my brads either. What's up with that? Time was when every flower had a brad in the centre, or it wasn't complete. Now I'm using gems and pearls more.

I have a hot glue gun which hasn't been out of the packet yet. I'm not sure quite how to use it on paper stuff. And whether the mess (it looks as if it's going to be messy, I have no idea whether it really is) is worthwhile for attaching a ruffled ribbon. Which I also haven't tried yet.

I'm a bit useless, aren't I?

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to RedSquirrel

Good question. It seems I am forgetting tools one by one. Recently I rediscovered my stamps and use them on every page. Then I see my Crop-a-dile and all pages get eyelets. Then I seem to remember I have distress ink I could use or my sprays and my masks. For some reason I never end up with a page where I used more than one tool. Which reminds me: I should use some ribbon any time soon!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to elsje2

I keep a checklist of essentials & a secondary list of items that I almost never use. It helps me keep creative, as well as a good reminder to try something old, but 'new' (otherwise known as, about 1/4 of the tools in my room!)

- Fiskar templates

- crimper

- 'wavy' rulers

- scalloped scissors (all 40 of them)

- punches

- diecut machines

- stickers

- acrylic stamps

- embossing

- glitter

- journaling pens

- Copics

- masks

- paints & mists

- tags, journaling blocks, vellum quotes

- embroidery supplies

- ribbons, fibers, yarn

- an entire 'flower garden' that needs taming & tending!
Products Referenced in This Post:

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to KellyCali

The thing I have and never have used is my sewing machine. I keep thinking when I see Rachie Babe or someone's work, oh yeah, I should use my machine! I have a sew easy and I use it sometimes, but a machine has a different look (IMO).

I don't have a check list (how organized is THAT?) but everytime I start a LO, I start with the photos and then the paper, and then I start searching for every element that I might use and get it out......

I haven't embossed in a while......hmmmmm.

Edited by CrimsonMama on 02-22-13 07:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to CrimsonMama

Um, I think I seriously need to clean out my room or at least organize.

The more I think about it, my list above seems to keep on getting longer & longer.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to KellyCali

Sorry to say, quite a few things. But if I had to pick one it too would be my Crop-a-Dile. I even put it on the shelf close by and still forget it. Just re-did my sticker storage and that has seem to help with not using the stickers i already had. I can see them now. Guess I just need to put the crop-a-dile somewhere on my desk.

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
I would tell you, but I forget which ones they are

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to lifethroughalens

Quite a few things have been pushed off and forgotten. My new years resolution was to use my Cuttlebug more. It will sit for months without use. Of course I had to buy a few more dies to get me in the mood.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to lifethroughalens

I was so excited to finally get the Martha Stewart Fringe Scissors last year...I think I used them once, then totally forgot about them until this week when I saw a cool layout that required a lot of little squares with all the sides cut into fringes and I had the thought that it would be really great if I had a pair of those Martha Stewart fringe scissors....and then remembered that I DO have a pair of those!!

I also keep forgetting about my Coluzzles, except when I need small circles.....I have lots of other cool templates, but never think of using the Coluzzles for those shapes..sometimes totally changing my idea, "because I don't have an easy way to cut that shape".
Products Referenced in This Post:

Diva
In response to justowen

I will agree with the above. I will forget to use my stamps more in the LOs.

Edited by bayamonesa1 on 02-22-13 08:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to justowen

We could put strips of paper with an item in a bowl and pull one or two out and use that on our next page.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to corrie fan

I have a collection of Sizzix stuff that I'm really happy with, but which I almost never use. A bunch of alphabets, some decorative strips, some good Sizzlits... and four Sizzix storage boxes full of Originals and Bigz (with another smaller box of small and medium Originals). I think the problem is that those boxes are closed, so I can't see what's in them (and the boxes are a little too high up for me to easily peer through). I also don't use my QuicKutz as much as I ought to. Same problem, they're stacked in a drawer.

My cure for this is my inventory book with samples in it of all my dies and stamps and punches. Also, I might use my alphabet dies more if I used titles more often.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

• corrie fan Said:
We could put strips of paper with an item in a bowl and pull one or two out and use that on our next page.

I think I've read about someone doing this. That way, you're always using different techniques on your layouts.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to flintridgescrapper

A few years ago I took a class on Big Picture Classes called Baker's dozen.

the first part we collected items. Into our egg carton numbered sections added embellishments (example 4 brads, 2 feet of ribbon) and in numbered envelopes, photos (action, women, etc).

Then the prompts came. She had a page and you were to make a similar page using egg cup # 4 and photos #12 for instance.

I did not always follow as I did not want to end up with something ick just for the sake of taking a class but used the inspiration. One was to take a receipt out of your purse and to journal about "things today" - what you buy, cost, etc. Well the only receipt I had was for makeup and I have tons already.

So I scanned the receipt (thermal so it will disappear) and took a photo of my makeup vanity. I was happy with my page. There and then, I was buying more makeup and adding to my collection.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I have so much I don't use but I've found since I put all my embellishments on my clip it up I'm using them more....they are there staring at me so I spin it around and look to see what's available.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-22-13 11:41 AM

• corrie fan Said:
Well the only receipt I had was for makeup and I have tons already.

Yay! Another makeup fan

I scrap so slowly that over the days (and weeks) as I work on pages, I guess I go through my stash in my head a lot, and I search through my stash a lot looking for the right paper or embellie or just inspiration. So I don't think I actually forget anything, but there are definitely things I have that I don't use very often (like Stickles).

Tenant
In response to stick

Glad I read this thread. I guess I have a lot to learn and BUY !!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics