Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Would like opinions on my layouts        (Topic#1585379)
Smile my love
Tenant
Smile my love

My layouts

If you guys could give me opinions, tips, tricks, anything. I feel like I finally got started and would appreciate some opinions.

SHeaRI
SHeaRI 
Resident
SHeaRI
In response to Smile my love

Just glanced through a couple... good start! The one tip I can give is to mat your photos. It will ground them and pull your elements together so things aren't just "floating" on the page.

Smile my love
Tenant
Smile my love
In response to SHeaRI

• SHeaRI Said:
Just glanced through a couple... good start! The one tip I can give is to mat your photos. It will ground them and pull your elements together so things aren't just "floating" on the page.

Im sorry what do you mean by matting them?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Matting a photo is when you put another piece of paper behind it to act as a small barrier between the photo and the background paper - like the reverse of a photo frame. I'll go find some examples and add them to this post.

"Looking Good" - page for Friend Swap By Aquabunny
The turquoise and lime green behind the photo here is a double-mat.

Leap Day By Aquabunny
Here's a very narrow brown mat to set off the picture from the busy background.

Washington DC 2012 - Page 8 - Newseum (page 1) By Aquabunny
You can mat journaling too, like the black borders around all these journaling blocks.

Washington DC 2012 - Page 33 - White House By Aquabunny
Here's a slightly wider mat than I usually use (the red vellum with gold stars).

Christmas Mini-Album Gift - Page 1 By Aquabunny
Here's a page from a gift album, for the recipient to fill with her own pictures. The red rectangle is a mat for a 4x6 photo.

Hawaii 2010 - Page 19 - Evening Walk By Aquabunny
You can also use patterned paper to mat - here I used a sand print paper to set off the photo.

From other people's galleries:

Adam's 4th Birthday By Kzookeeper
More than one photo can go on the same mat.

Monday Morning By Henri Jean
In this layout, the artist triple-matted the photos.

Edited by aquabunny on 02-22-13 10:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Diva
In response to aquabunny

Pretty pages. Thanks for sharing!

Tenant
In response to bayamonesa1

Thanks for sharing. Amazing job !!

SHeaRI
SHeaRI 
Resident
SHeaRI
In response to Homemaid

Ah sorry - I should have explained. You can also use a mat to join together the picture and title/journal as one element...
...between the two of you... By SHeaRI
or to ground an embellishment...

Edited by SHeaRI on 02-22-13 01:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Smile my love
Tenant
Smile my love
In response to SHeaRI

Okay thank you guys so much(:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Andrea (Aqua) thanks for posting mine. I looked at it and thought, "Hey, I did one similar). Then when I looked closely I recognized by husband. Then I felt silly. Yep - that was my first try at using neon paper and triple matting!

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof

I totally agree about using mats. Mats make the photos "pop". Also, you might want to consider making a border that runs down or across your page. Use punches to cut out shapes to accent your border. Hope this helps!!

Smile my love
Tenant
Smile my love
In response to bonprof

My first mat

My first shot at matting, what do you think? Is this better?(:

Edited by Smile my love on 03-01-13 08:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

48SixTime
Mayor
48SixTime

Excellent! Now just to complicate things lol, another way is to frame your photos. The opposite of matting. Put a frame over the photo, you can make them or buy them..the sky is the limit!

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 03-01-13 09:57 PM
In response to 48SixTime

What size paper are you using? If you use 12x12 you will be able to arrange your photos a bit better. Yes the matting is the best idea. You are off to a great start!!

Smile my love
Tenant
Smile my love
In response to charK

Thanks to all of you who helped with matting. I love it so much and you're right, it does make the pictures pop! Framing will be my next assignment lol. And yes I use 12x12 paper. I have a problem with arranging my pictures. I like them very square lol.

SHeaRI
SHeaRI 
Resident
SHeaRI

Great start!! A site like this... http://4x6photosketchblog .blogspot.com/
might be a good place to explore. It has a ton of sketches using 4x6 photos and different placements of them. When I am stuck with a LO, sketches can help me visualize.
Can't wait to see more

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to SHeaRI

Yeah, I use sketches all the time. It makes scrapping so much more fun for me if I don't have to struggle and work to figure out the placement. I use PageMaps.com a lot. She has wonderful sketches.

You are doing awesome though. You will never regret keeping your memories in this way. If you didn't, when you are older like some of us, you probably wouldn't remember all of the special details of your pictures.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to flintridgescrapper

Very nice! I like the paper you used for matting.

ANother thing you can do is add a very tiny thin mat under that so just a little bit show around it to give it a really finished look and separate your patterned paper from the background paper.

I would use black for that or pick up another color in your matting patterned paper to give it more contrast against the light blue background paper. It will just pop more.

Smile my love
Tenant
Smile my love
In response to Henri Jean

Matting pt.1
Matting pt.2

These are my two new layouts. I tried double matting and I did frame one of my pictures. Would love feedback.

Thank you all again(:

srichter
Resident
srichter

I like your pages and you're really doing some great things with matting your photos

Something I tried when I wanted to get more elaborate with my layouts was I spent some time going through the layout gallery and saving my favorites. Then I went back through my gallery to look for things I seemed to like/favorite more than once. I realized that techniques and/or styles I never thought were "me" were things I actually liked in other peoples work. It made me try new things and learn more and more what I liked and what I could do

Tenant

I looked through your gallery and made some suggestions. I love that you use lots of photos. In my opinion, scrapbooking should be about highlighting the photos and journaling the memories. So many layouts out there are so full of embellishments that the photo gets lost, or the photo is so small it seems insignificant.

In many of your layouts, you've left lots of room for journaling. I would suggest that you make a point of writing down your memories of the events; things that aren't apparent in the photo, like a funny thing that happened or why that day was so special. Since you used alot of basic color papers for your background, you could try journalling on a patterned paper. I do alot on the lines of striped paper, or I use a busy pattern to matte blank paper for journaling. One day you will forget alot of details and it would be great to have it all down when it's fresh.

Also, when placing embellishments, keep in mind to try not to just leave something "floating in mid air". Bunch up embellies, arrange them along an edge or corner of a photo, make sure that banners have a start and end point, place the roots of a tree sticker at the bottom of a page or bumped up against another element of your design. The embellies don't always have to be relevant to the event, but they should compliment the colours in the photo or your general sketch plan.

Some alternatives to matting your photos, 1) use regular photo mounting corners. They come in quite a few colours, but I like basic black best. 2) you can order your prints with borders on them. Costco does a white border, but other places can do black too.

Lastly, a few techniques that I love are ripping paper, inking and sanding. Google them and you'll find loads of tutorials and sample pages.

I know I'm a newby too, and I have a long way to go before I hit my own creative stride, but I've researched many techniques, read many scrapping mags and gone to as many classes as I can. These are the things that I felt took me from being very unsatisfied with my end product to feeling like I actually have some creative genes.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics