Username Post: Glitter        (Topic#1585413)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-23-13 08:27 AM

Ok normally I am not a glitter person but there's something I want to try so I need to get some glitter. Can someone please tell me if ultra fine is the same as microglitter? I have already done a search and can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

I don't know - I have the microglitter.

I don't think it is the same. The microglitter is used a little differently. You have to rub it in or burnish it - or that is what we were told in classes.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Henri Jean

I just HAPPEN to have both.

Ultrafine is teeny pieces, but still pieces.

Microfine is almost like powder it is so tiny.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Manda_K

Yes, what Manda said....
I use all kinds of glitter for different things and I love the microfine glitter that you pour on and "burnish"....looks amazing!

Alison

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-23-13 06:29 PM
In response to kiyawinn

Awesome, thanks ladies! So, I didn't see any microfine glitter here. I also couldn't find any at M's or J's. They all said ultra fine (or didn't say anything at all). Any tips on what brand I should look for?

I don't know what burnishing means but maybe that's what I'm trying to do...

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vae

Burnishing is when you rub it...it gives it a sparkly but duller, almost velvet look, IYKWIM?

I use Glitter Ritz brand but it is Canadian and I'm not sure where it's sold in the U.S.
I've used it on the banner (orange and black) in the layout below...there's no fall off with Glitter Ritz either!

Halloween 2010 By Kiyawinn

And on the circle frame in this one...
Winter Walk By Kiyawinn

If you google it, you may find a store....
If you want to try some, I can mail it to you but I'm not sure how quick you need it....

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

I also buy Ritz. Its available in a lot of scrapbook stores. I actually bought a lot of mine at an expo last year. But I bought a lot at my scrapbook store too.

It does look like shiny velvet. But you have to burnish it or rub it in.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

I really like the ranger glitter, but it doesnt say micro fine. It feels like the finest glitter I've used, but that's just me.

The rock candy is chunkier, but the colors ones are really fine.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to SherylEb

The Stickles glitter is chunkier (if you will) than ultrafine, but not by much.

I use art glitter. Every color tells you how fine it is and if it is opaque or transparent.

BoysKeoghMom
Veteran
BoysKeoghMom
In response to Vae

If you are looking for a rainbow of colors of microfine - velvet glitter - sparkle and sprinkle have a ton!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to BoysKeoghMom

Try coloring your microfine glitter with your copics after you burnish it. Sooooo pretty!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

You can use one of the white colors of microfine glitter and its gorgeous when colored with Copics becuase it is so velvety. Doesn't feel at all like glitter - more of a powder almost.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

My goodness. I had no idea there were so many different kinds of glitter. I'm a Stickles girl and I don't like the fall-out from regular glitter so I don't own any. How interesting.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-25-13 07:10 AM
In response to RedSquirrel

I normally prefer stickles as well. but I can't really blend those as well as loose micro glitter and I want to do something that blends 3-4 colors of glitter. I did a test one this weekend (it was extra fine, not micro, so it didn't come out quite right) and then went over it with a very thin paint of glossy accents to "seal" it in and that part worked like a charm. I really don't want to have glitter "running" down my pages after a few years of being flipped through so this seems like it will work.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

Glossy Accents on top of glitter? I am going to try that - sounds like it would be awesome!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics