Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: SCRAPBOOK MACHINES        (Topic#1585423)
Kathybretz
New Kid On the Block
Kathybretz

I've gotten along for years without buying a machine that helps create dye cuts quickly and simply. Now I'm thinking of buying one and wonder which one(s) actual users like best. Money is not an object but simplicity of use is. Help?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Kathybretz

for every machine you'll find people who say it's the best,,,,,,

do you want a manual machine that uses metal dies and also embosses??

do you want a cart based system that you buy cartridges to cut whatever shapes are on the cartridges???

do you want something a wee bit more complicated and might possibly be interested in a machine you can create shapes with on the computer and then cut using the machine????

a bit more info might help us help you figure out which one is best for you.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to CommaHolly

I have both the Cricut and Silhouette. The Cricut was easier to learn. but the Silhouette is a better machine and seems to be better supported by its manufacturer right now. I took several classes and am doing some amazing things on the Silhouette. I waited to get the Silhouette because I didn't want a computer supported system. As the years passed, I changed my mind. Sadly Provocraft isn't supporting the Gypsy and many, many of us are not happy about it. They are saying that the Craftroom will be available soon to Gypsy owners and the carts will be transferrable. If that happens, I will support the Cricut again.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Kathybretz

As Holly said, it depends on what you want to do with it, but this is what I have:

Cricut Expression—I like it fine, but it takes cartridges, which can definitely add to the expense. People say they find them fairly cheaply by keeping their eyes open, but it's still an added expense. I have no idea how the newer versions of Cricut work. I fortunately bought SCAL before a lawsuit with ProvoCraft made it unavailable for purchasing any more. With SCAL I don't need to use cartridges...well, need one for the machine to read, but it doesn't matter which one and one probably comes with most machines. SCAL is software so I can use any image I find, or make my own, and cut it out. I can use any font...but it's a moot point since it's no longer available (might find a CD WITH REGISTRATION CODE on ebay, or something).

My family bought me a Cameo Silhouette for Christmas, 2011 and I love it. No cartridges needed. A software program is included with the Cameo and an upgrade is available. There are thousands of graphics for sale on their site for 99¢, including Echo Park, Jenni Bowlin, Looney Tunes and lots of others. They have half-price sales quite often. No dies or anything need to be bought, but the blades and mats aren't sold in most stores, so you want to keep a spare (as I found out this week!). SB carries them.

The Cricut will cut chipboard and heavier things. The Cameo doesn't. They both cut vinyl for wall-words, etc. Neither does embossing.

Which is why I also have the Cuttlebug. It will cut dies like Spellbinders, except for the really large ones. The opening is 6" wide, so the die has to fit through there. It also takes the embossing folders. It's quick and easy...it's manual. It folds up so it doesn't take much room. I use my Cuttlebug more than any of the others just because it's so quick and handy.

Oh, Cameo also has the Print & Cut feature, which means you can print a graphic, then the Cameo will cut it out. This is the feature that made me want it even though I was happy with my Cricut Expression. Print & Cut can be done on the CE, but it takes some work. Very easy with the Cameo.

I also have the Creatopia...I think I'm the only one who has owned one :>) I have hardly used it, but only because the way I'm set up right now, it's too hard to get out. It's about the same size as the Cricut and Cameo and is manual. It will take 12" widths, which is why I got it. It's basically a big, wide, purple Cuttlebug (mine is purple), but it also takes rolls of laminating film, and adhesive. It's made by Xyron, so if you have the little X for adhesive, the Creatopia does the same thing...in a big way. It needs the Shapez attachment to use the thin dies, like Spellbinders.

Many have the Big Kicks (a manual machine) and are very happy with it.

Have fun shopping. Maybe go to a scrap store and see if they have machines you can try out. ~Judy

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-23-13 06:21 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

And there are a handful of other machines out there that are similar, they all have their plusses and minuses, their followers and their haters. It's well worth doing the research to figure out what you really need.

I have a Gazelle electronic cutter, and a Sizzix Big Shot. I love having both an electronic and a manual, I can do nearly anything with such a combination.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to stick

Yep, I have a Sizzix Big Shot and a Cricut Original (the one that only cuts 6x12), and I love 'em both.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to aquabunny

As everyone has said so far, it is purely a matter of taste, space and what you plan to primarily make with it. I personally don't want to have to be tied to the computer so that makes my Cricut ideal. I don't know which one it is, it is about 6 years old and uses the 6 X 12 mats. I also have a Cuttlebug for certain dies I can't live without and for all my embossing folders. I've had both for several years and haven't had a need for any other machine, so far. Who knows what the future will bring, lol?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• mrsdriver5 Said:

My family bought me a Cameo Silhouette for Christmas, 2011 and I love it. No cartridges needed. A software program is included with the Cameo and an upgrade is available. There are thousands of graphics for sale on their site for 99¢, including Echo Park, Jenni Bowlin, Looney Tunes and lots of others. They have half-price sales quite often. No dies or anything need to be bought, but the blades and mats aren't sold in most stores, so you want to keep a spare (as I found out this week!). SB carries them.

The Cricut will cut chipboard and heavier things. The Cameo doesn't. They both cut vinyl for wall-words, etc. Neither does embossing.

Have fun shopping. Maybe go to a scrap store and see if they have machines you can try out. ~Judy

I have to disagree with above statement
The Cameo will cut grungepaper (on the coverstock setting, I've cut grungepaper, cork etc.) and the latest update to the software has a chipboard setting...haven't tried it with generic chipboard but Silhouette has chipboard coming out in the store here soon....

Alison

Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to kiyawinn

Holly is correct - every machine has its own fan club

I'm in LOVE LOVE LOVE with my Big Shot although all the dies and folders are a bit of an investment.

Good luck with whichever you choose and welcome to the neighborhood!

Resident
In response to Kim222

i have a big shot and love it. but like someone else said...the dies and folders can be a bit of an expense.

try looking at you tube tutorials for each machine... that way you can see the machine in action and what it can be used for along with researching what other bits you will need to create with.

good luck and hope you find what your looking for.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to dee.is.me

I will tell you that all the advise so far is correct and great.
I would suggest finding a place where you can possibly see, touch and/or playwith any number of machines. DO NOT INVEST IN A MACHINE ON A WHIM. I have a Big Shot Express, as I started with a Sizzix red manual machine close to a decade ago. I still love my dies and enjoy the simplicity of it. I have friends with electronic cutters, who adore them and friends who hate them, because they are tempermental as far as they are concerned. I have not yet found a need that I could not print out and cut by hand or exacto for the intricate stuff, or just plain trade with a friend or buy out right.
You really do need to be sure of your computer skills for some of these machines and be aware of what you want to cut most, also, SPACE can be an issure.
Do you have room for a large collection of dies, cartridges, folders etc.
Good luck in your search.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to NoirCat

I have a Cricut Expression and use it alot for letters and stuff. I like some of the flourishes too but really don't use it as much anymore. I'm not really into the layered die cuts though so i don't use it for alot of what it's intended for.

I'm thinking I want to get a GRand Calibur so i can use spellbinders dies and make better matting and flowers. It cuts and enmbosses.

Edited by Just G on 02-24-13 03:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Just G

The Silhouette chipboard is out. The looseness of the fibers makes it ideal for cutting. I got some this weekend. My LSS lady pulled it out for me.

I have the Big Shot, the Revolution, the Big Kick (electronic), Grand Calibur, the hand squeeze one. I have quite a few. Don't let the use of a computer based ones scare you off. It is really easy to learn. Lots of videos on YouTube really support the use of all of the machines. I like not using dies. They are super pricey and can only be used in one size. I know. I have a ton of them.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to 950nancy

As you can see,,,,,,many people have more than one machine, because they all have their good and bad points,,,,,

I have a Cricut Expression, a Cricut Create (but I am not too pleased with Provocraft lately, mostly due to the non support for the Gypsy, a hand held design device that works with the Cricut), a big shot and a Grand Calibur (the last 2 are manual machines and cut my spellbinders and sizzix dies),,,,,

for your first machine, you should probably decide what you want to do MOST and then go with that one,,,,,,,chances are, you'll be back for another machine next year

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to CommaHolly

I currently own a Cricut Expression, 50+ initially costly carts & a Cuttlebug.

If I had it to over again, I would have invested my money in a Silouhette Cameo & a Big Shot.

Good Luck with your decision!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• mrsdriver5 Said:

Actually, you can...emboss...with your Cricut.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6676023_emboss-cr icut-expressio...

http://www.pinkcricut.com/2010/06/how-to-emboss -with-yo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrqXz73Bj3c

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to KellyCali

I agree with the rest of the ladies who said each machine has their own fan club... I am part of the I LOVE MY BIG SHOT fan club...{that being said I am also part of the 'I Could Throw My Cricut Out The Window' fan club }
, but I have heard wonderful things about the silhouette cameo... Good luck

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to JazzieLynne

I love my BigShot and I love my Cameo....
I'm really glad I have both and have no need or desire for any of the other ones.
I did a lot of reading and researching before I purchased either one, though. I ended up with the best machines for me....

Alison

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

I haven't used chipboard...I just know when I bought my Cameo they made a big point that it wasn't heavy enough to cut chipboard and the warranty would be voided if you tried. Mine was ordered before they were on the market, so I know they've made upgrades since then...like improving the blades.

Once you wrote your comment, it sounds familiar...at least about them coming out with their own chipboard. They don't show that I need an update, but mine doesn't have a chipboard setting. Is it called something else? (Doesn't really matter to me since I just use my CE instead...just curious )~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • mrsdriver5 Said:

Actually, you can...emboss...with your Cricut.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6676023_emboss-cr icut-expressio...

http://www.pinkcricut.com/2010/06/how-to-emboss -with-yo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrqXz73Bj3c

I know you can emboss like using a pen, in both the Cameo and Cricut Expression, but I was thinking of the embossing folders that we all enjoy using on the manual machines. I wouldn't buy a Cameo for it's embossing capability, although, yes, it can be done. People have asked before if they can use embossing folders and dies in the Cameo and that's what I was thinking of. I'm sorry for the mistake. I was just trying to give the reasons that I like my various machines.~Judy

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics