Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: I'm new here        (Topic#1585427)
New Kid On the Block

Hello, I am new to this forum:) My name is Christy, I have 3 little girls ages 7,5 and 5. I used to scrapbook quite a bit but I have been out of the loop with it since I started a children's clothing boutique. Now that I am tired of spending every moment sewing for others I decided it's time to get back to what I love. The problem is, I sold all of my scrapbooking supplies! haha! I went to the scrapbook stores tonight in an attempt to restock and quickly realized I seriously forgot how to scrapbook! There are so many new things out there I had no idea what they were for and how to use them. So I bought some paper, a paper trimmer and a book. I have yet to get the rest. What are some things that you ladies love to use besides the obvious, paper?

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to ChristyCrafts

I love punch, washi tape, and my Silhouette. I love a ton of stuff, but those are the three things that seem to be on all of my current pages.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to 950nancy

Welcome to the site. You will find a ton of great ideas and nice people to help you.

New Kid On the Block
In response to 950nancy

I miss my punches and inks more than anything. Michaels and Hobby Lobby didn't seem to have many that I liked so I am going to check Joann tomorrow. The tape is new to me but I like the look of it.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

J's does have a good selection. They also have great sales now and then.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to 950nancy

Welcome!
I like Liquid Pearls and Stickles, embossing (both regular and heat embossing), sewing on my pages, die cuts with my Cameo, stencils with my chalk inks, enamel dots....I could probably go on forever!
I'm sure you will slowly add to your stash as we have all done!
Browse the gallery here and the store for some great ideas....

Alison

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 02-23-13 09:43 PM
In response to kiyawinn

Hello!!

I say go DIGITAL!!! If you sold all your supplies.....now is the time to try digi. Just buy a digi program, I use Memory Mixer and it is inexpensive and easy. So user friendly and I have PSE but hated the learning curve. Check it out.

I did paper for 10 years and switched a few years ago and have not looked back.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to charK

IF you want to stay paper, this is what I would do, pretend to make a page...grab a few pics...what do you need? Card stock, patterned paper, stamps, ink? Different cutting tools, scissors, xacto?

I would probably start slow with essentials and build up unless you have a bunch o dough, then buy it up!

Good luck and happy creating!

SHeaRI
SHeaRI 
Resident
SHeaRI
In response to Manda_K

I am a simple girl - my best friends scrapbooking are cardstock, PP, brads, and my computer, with some various and sundry embellishments tossed in here and there.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Manda_K

Welcome to the neighborhood!!

What you'll need largely depends on your style of scrapping, but the basics are your trimmer, scissors, paper and adhesive. Everyone has their favorites of all of them, so thats something you'll figure out as you go along.

Manda gave great advice on starting up!
Wish you were around to tell me that when I started scrapping, Manda!

Take a look at the galleries here and if you see something you like, buy enough of it to try it. Meaning, if you see a project that has used spray ink and a mask, I would buy 1 or 2 sprays and 1 mask or stencil to try out before I bought every single color and type of spray out there.

The superstore here is a great place to shop and has awesome customer service.

Explore, experiment and have fun!!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to Kim222

If you have all your pictures on your computer, you could try digital. I know Stampin Up has a digital program that you can try free for 30 days. I believe Close to My Heart's program is free as well.

If you choose to stay with the traditional method, I'd recommend slowly adding to your collection. It's so much fun to go shopping for stuff but I'd stick with the basics before you rediscover your style. I'd get just one or two inkpads for example. You won't remember what brand of inkpads you like until you try the one you've bought.

In any case, welcome to scrapbook.com! This place is great for inspiration and the superstore is great for shopping.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to Kim222

Welcome aboard. It is a great resourse!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
Welcome to the neighborhood!!

What you'll need largely depends on your style of scrapping, but the basics are your trimmer, scissors, paper and adhesive. Everyone has their favorites of all of them, so thats something you'll figure out as you go along.

Manda gave great advice on starting up!
Wish you were around to tell me that when I started scrapping, Manda!

Take a look at the galleries here and if you see something you like, buy enough of it to try it. Meaning, if you see a project that has used spray ink and a mask, I would buy 1 or 2 sprays and 1 mask or stencil to try out before I bought every single color and type of spray out there.

The superstore here is a great place to shop and has awesome customer service.

Explore, experiment and have fun!!

LOL!!

I wish I could go back and give myself my own advice! I can't even tell you how many tools and embellies I bought that were totally useless.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Manda_K

Manda's advice is really good. Go slow in buying stuff.

The things I buy and use and what someone else buys and uses are so different. There is no guide because everyone's tastes are different.

Find layouts you like in the gallery and see what they used. Go to some crops and see what people are using.

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to Henri Jean

Welcome (back!)

Besneys
Pro
Besneys
In response to RedSquirrel

Welcome to this site x Everyone is so helpful I'm fairly new myself and they have really made me welcome x

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Besneys

Welcome!

Diva
In response to prittb

Welcome to this site. I love it as it has helped me a lot. I love my Cuttlebug and stamps!

Edited by bayamonesa1 on 02-25-13 05:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to bayamonesa1

Wow! What great responses! Thank you so much everyone. As far as the "going slow on buying things" Well, that didn't happen! LOL Joann had EVERYTHING on sale for 50% yesterday so I had some fun. I bought 3 paper stacks (one being textured solids) and some single sheets, lots of die cuts, stickers and lettering. A punch (I wanted a lot more of those), inks etc...I found that MOST of the embellishments I can make myself. I have a lot of hair accessory supplies that include bow centers and rhinestone pearl centers, handmade flowers and ribbon so I can use a lot of that for embellishments as well. The one thing I forgot is adhesive. lol I had so much fun beginning to build my supplies back up. I bought a lot of coordinating things. Last time around I would buy a mix of things and that's why it didn't get used I have an Iris photo box with hundreds of printed photos already. I like some digital but I am a 2D and 3D girl. I like to layer things to give my pages that look. I don't think digital would be for me. I know others that love it though

bonprof
Guru
bonprof

Hi! I love to use punches! You can get some great punches from Stampin up company and Creative Memories. Go on line and look around. With punches you can take a simple border and turn it into something very elegant and fun. Also, remember to do what looks great to you. Have Fun!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics