Username Post: Big Kick questions        (Topic#1585429)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-23-13 09:26 PM

Hey everyone! I hope there's a big kick expert online who might be able to help me figure this out. I've spent hours reading forum posts but several of them are conflicting.

I just got the big kick (it's actually the vintaj but I'm told it's exactly the same). I am trying to cut a spellbinders die and I'm following the instructions on it exactly. The whole sandwich thing is passing right through the rollers with no resistance at all. Are the instructions wrong or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Here are the instructions I have:
Instructions for use with the Big Kick™ and Big Shot™
by Sizzix™
Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from the bottom up)
1. Large platform with tabs closed
2. Spellbinders Die Template with cut ridges up
3. Paper, cardstock, craft foil, etc.
4. Two acrylic mats
5. Run through the Big Kick or Big Shot
Embossing Sandwich - (Stack from the bottom up)

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-23-13 09:51 PM
In response to Vae

Hmm. I don't know why your sandwich doesn't work.

I do: platform, all tabs closed. Cutting plate. Paper. Die, cutting side down. Other cutting plate. Occasionally I need a shim with the more intricate dies, I add a postcard or piece of cardstock between the die and the top acrylic plate. If its an intricate die I put a piece of wax paper between the paper I'm cutting and the die.

Sizzix has great CS, try calling them on Monday.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-23-13 10:04 PM
In response to stick

Thanks Kara,

I just sent an email to Sizzix but I will try calling them Monday as well.

I tried it this way with the die between the two plates and added 4 sheets of extra cardstock as well but it still didn't even touch the top roller. I looked up a bunch of youtube videos too and it looks like I should be able to cut them with only the platform (both tabs), 2 plates, the die, and the paper. So I think maybe mine is defective

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Vae

Weird. It almost sounds like some part of the machine itself is missing. For the sandwich to be not even touching the roller is strange. I'd be interested to hear what Sizzix says.

Sorry you're having the issue though. Not being able to use your new toy is frustrating.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Kim222

I'm wondering if the platform is different that comes with the Vintaj? From what I see on the Sizzix website- it shows the platform and a separate solo shim- you woud need both of those to cut the Spellbinders-

With my BigKick, even tho the machine is the same, my platform has the shims attached...

Did it come with the separate solo shim?

-k

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Vae

Okay, still researching- and from everything I see on the Sizzix website, the platform that comes with the Vintaj is different.

The BigKick comes with the Multi-Purpose platform, the Vintaj comes with the 'Solo Platform and Shim.'

It looks like you'll need the Solo Wafer Thin Die Adapter.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to designguyKORY

I have the Vintaj BigKick as well. You need the solo wafer thin die adapter mentioned above (it's like using the Sizzix framelits). Sandwich: Solo platform (I don't use the shim unless it's intricate spellbinder,) thin die adapter, cutting pad, spellbinder die, paper, cutting pad. HTH!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-24-13 11:08 AM
In response to scrapchica

The Vintaj is different? How crazy! But good to know.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stick

No, the Vintaj is the same as the BigKick- but it comes with a different platform than the BigKick.

Jarvae, I'm still jealous on the great deal you got on it!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-24-13 03:16 PM
In response to designguyKORY

Thanks everyone!

I was reading that they are actually starting to use these new platforms in the regular big kicks as well but didn't know if anyone had gotten one yet. If you try to order a replacement platform (the one with the tabs) you'll see that they don't have the ones with the tabs anymore. So anyone who has a tabbed platform, if you think you might need a replacement anytime soon, you would probably need that adapter too.

I ordered the wafer thin adapter and it should be here by Wednesday and I'll be able to let you know. I just wish they'd made it a little more obvious, and it would have been nice if they had updated any of the instructions to mention "solo platform" vs "tabbed platform" or whatever.

I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks again everyone!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Vae

AGREED!!! I just got mine recently too (via that clearance) and I had to research that the hard way. Was so mad having to order that adapter as I had placed a big order already that day! Oh well, it works now, right?!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-25-13 09:08 AM
In response to scrapchica

I haven't gotten my adapter. Did you get yours? Does it work??? I hope so. But soon we'll be the experts on how to use the new platforms

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Vae

I DEFINITLY works! Hooray! I just don't use the shim on the "regular" Spellbinders because the platform plus the thin adapter is more than enough for the basic shapes. If it's one of those intricate dies with swirling or damask or whatev, then I use the shim with it. HAVE FUN!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics