Username Post: 3D pages - newbie question        (Topic#1585431)
New Kid On the Block

Hi all - I'm brand new to scrapbooking and working on my first layout featuring my brand new baby niece.

I've become addicted to browsing the layout gallery and can't help admiring all the beautiful creations.

I particularly love the 3D pages with lots of layers and flowers, and am trying to work that look into my layout.

I cannot for the life of me figure something out though, and I'm sure there is an easy answer, but please tell me... how on earth do you put a heavily embellished, 3D page into an album without crushing it?

Many thanks!

Alyson

BoysKeoghMom
Veteran
BoysKeoghMom
In response to alyson72

Hi Alyson,

One there will be a bit of smushing in a page protector. However if you store your alblum upright and not flat and stacked I have found they hold up pretty well.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to BoysKeoghMom

Exactly!!! A little bit of smooshing won't hurt it!!!

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to binkiemonstermom

I will tell you I have soooo many 3-D LO. And none of them are crushed beyond happiness for me. I use 3-D-ring binders and what use to be called the Smartbox albums. (I think they are called anthropology now??, I bought a Lot of 20 back in the day so I still have a few) I store them upright in page protectors and no worries. They still look great even after 10 years.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NoirCat

I don't do any really really thick but I do some with flowers and a bit of heavy embellishment for my girly granddaughter pages but they store fine in the protectos standing upright. I want them to smoosh some.

I bought flowers for my last layout which had big things in the center. I removed those and replaced them with brads because they were just too dimensional for my personal taste.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

I use the 3 ring albums as well and I don't overfill them. This really makes a difference....
I do a lot of 3D pages and while there might be a little bit of squishing, they hold up pretty well!

Alison

New Kid On the Block
In response to kiyawinn

Aaahhh, thank goodness it's that simple!

I was sure there was some superdooper must-have page-spacer gadgety thing that I would have to save up to buy! This hobby is gonna send me broke as it is...

Thank you all!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to alyson72

You've got some great advice here!

One more thing - forgive me if you knew this already. If you're making a page with lots of dimension on it, trim the sides of your background paper or card-stock by a quarter of an inch or so before you start. Then the page with its bumpy embellishments will fit in your page protector without warping.

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel

I use the 3 rings albums but I am not too much into 3D pages. I do use flowers, ribbon, fabric, embellishments, bu tnever had the problem to be too bulky.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-25-13 10:35 AM

• RedSquirrel Said:
You've got some great advice here!

One more thing - forgive me if you knew this already. If you're making a page with lots of dimension on it, trim the sides of your background paper or card-stock by a quarter of an inch or so before you start. Then the page with its bumpy embellishments will fit in your page protector without warping.

LOL Rosey I'm not a newbie but I never thought of this. Awesome idea! (((wish I'd known yesterday what I know today)))

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

Great advice Rosey - I can't tell you how many times I've had to go back after-the-fact and trim pages.

I do very few with heavy embellishments but I did complete 2 of them yesterday.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Henri Jean

I don't remember where I read or heard this, but a lady said that she used big, clear envelopes from ClearBags.com , and she puts them in a pretty box in her living room. That way people could flip through them & the pages wouldn't get smooshed. I loved this idea.

(I hope it was okay to put that company in my post since SB.com doesn't sell stuff like that. Megan, let me know if I need to edit.)

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to flintridgescrapper

I'm pleased to be of assistance!

Oh, one more tip for travelling with delicate embellishments like 3D paper flowers. Put them into a ziplock snack bag, blow the bag up and seal it. That way the air in the bag acts as a cushion and protects your goodies from getting squashed.

I worked that one out when we used to travel from Singapore to the UK and back - it saved lots of damage.

cindy71
Resident
cindy71

I tend to waffle back and forth between heavily embellished pages and flatter pages, so I use 3-ring binders exclusively. (I love We R Memory Keepers binders!) The post bound albums smoosh my pages more. If my planned layout has a lot of bulk, I just trim off an eight inch or so before I start my page. Works great. I also store all my albums upright.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics