Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Get rid of dies?        (Topic#1585453)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I got the Cameo for Christmas and I also have a BigShot. I used to use the BigShot a lot for diecutting. Now, I mostly use it for embossing and only once in awhile will I cut a Spellbinders or something....

Our LSS is having a "yard sale" in March and I'll be selling a bunch of things.....I'm wondering if I should sell some of my dies, maybe keep a few favourites?
I can cut just about anything I want from my Cameo...I'm thinking that I don't need most of my dies anymore....I could save space!
I have a bunch of Sizzix/TH dies, some Spellbinders, some Lifestyle Crafts/QuicKutz.
I might just keep a few nesties and sell most of them....what do you think?

Alison

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-24-13 09:40 PM
In response to kiyawinn

There are many papers that don't do well with an electronic cutter - fibrous art papers, coated papers that don't adhere well to the mat, tissue thin papers that just get destroyed. I love having BOTH an electronic cutter (a Gazelle) and a Big Shot. This said - I'm also a fan of not over-burdening oneself. I would take a critical look and think if you would be HAPPY getting rid of certain dies. You haven't had the Cameo for very long so you're still in the honeymoon stage with it. Don't do anything rash, but also don't keep a lot of dies just because they're there.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to stick

True...hadn't considered the paper thing...

Alison

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to kiyawinn

I kept mine and still enjoy using it. I have the Cameo and the Cricut E, sometimes I just love manually using my Bigshot with the different texture I can cut in it. I can't do this in my electronic machines. Just keep this in mine, once you sell them they are hard to locate and get back, if you change your mind. Good luck with your decision.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Cricutgirlg

What Stick said, and she said so much better than I could! I'd wait.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to RedSquirrel

I would look at it over six months, if you aren't using them, I would weed through them and get rid of any that you are not using.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to binkiemonstermom

• binkiemonstermom Said:
I would look at it over six months, if you aren't using them, I would weed through them and get rid of any that you are not using.

Agree - wait a few months.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 02-25-13 05:38 AM
In response to prittb

I've been trying to decide the same thing. But not just with dies, I have so much junk that I didn't even know I had.

I have the Cameo and seems no matter how hard I look for something in my other dies,I just go back to the cameo. None of the dies I have seem to do anything for me anymore. Unfortunately, there are no more scrapbook stores around here that would have those yard sales any longer.

Good luck decided. But yes, take your time deciding!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to KimKV

Same here, the only store around here that did yard sales closed at the end of January.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to aquabunny

I put all of the dies I wasn't using in a big plastic storage box with the date marked on it. I was going through things the other day and realized I haven't used them in over 3 years!!! Yeah, I'm selling them.

I'd do the same thing - put them in a box. Date it. See if you go back to it at any point in the next six months - year or so. If not, sell them then. If your LSS is anything like mine, they'll have another yard sale.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to siameseplease

I'm a hoarder and never get rid of anything, for several reasons-
I've paid way too much for said items and would never get near what I paid.
I have the "but what If I need it someday" thing going on in my head.
Grand kids may want to use it.
And than also like mentioned above, different pps that I may want to use that the Cameo and Cricuts don't do well with.
Just last week DGD3 had a school project and I pulled out my little "bitty body" dies to create people for her family tree. Worked out perfectly but before that I couldn't even tell ya the last time I used that die. And because it was manual it was something she could help in doing ( as it was her project).
My room is busting at the seams but I still manage to find a spot for it all.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to ChansGram

Totally agree with stick.

I am over the Quickutz dies; they're just not that great. But it's worth having a Big Shot to use the Tim Holtz Sizzix dies... I love them.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to *jesse*

The funny thing with me getting rid of stuff is that sometimes, the LESS I paid for something, the harder time I have getting rid of it.

(Well, not so much "the less I paid" but "the more awesome of a deal I got".)

Edited by aquabunny on 02-25-13 10:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-25-13 10:23 AM
In response to aquabunny

Yeah totally! Because if you got a friggin awesome deal then it's almost like it's worth twice as much as the "normal" price

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Vae

Yes, exactly! Because I know I'll never find that good of a deal on it again, and that I might not even find the item again at all (I have an... unfortunate habit of not discovering things I love until they're discontinued).

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to aquabunny

WHAAAAAAAAAAA???????????

GET RID OF SPELLBINDERS DIES??????????

HEAVEN FORBID!!!!!!!!

My brain can't wrap around the concept, Cameo or no Cameo!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to CommaHolly

Holly you're so funny!!!

But here I am thinking the same thing about the Sizzix and TH Dies!!

I'd hold onto them if I were you, Alison!! I don't have an electronic cutter, but I love the steel rule dies for cutting lots of fun stuff like magnet and foam and sponge and veneer and felt and craft metal and cardboard and chipboard and and and ... !!!!

Then again, I do subscribe to the "one day I may need it" school of thought, so, read my opinion with that in mind

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

I still like the dies to use with my cuttlebug for quickie things, but that's mostly because of the way I'm set up right now. I also like being able to make the embossed edging with the dies. I keep on buying dies, even though I love my cameo. Every time I buy one I think, "But I have a Cameo...I don't need a die", but they still find their way into my shopping cart ~Judy

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mrsdriver5

I think I'm going to purchase a Portrait (little Cameo),,,,,,and I STILL can't imagine getting rid of my dies,,,,

just,,,,MORE GORGEOUS CUTS FOR MEEEEE!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CommaHolly

Thanks for all the input!
I think I will go through my dies and weed out a few....
I'm not going to get rid of all of them but there are some I'm pretty sure I'll never use again...
I have a lot of dies (especially a lot of QuicKutz, which are not good at cutting anything but paper anyway, although I DID love them when I only had my BigSHot)
I'm probably going to get rid of a lot of other stuff too! I have a ton of flowers, chipboard shapes, and stickers, alphabets etc. that I don't think I will use.....

Alison

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics