Username Post: Help finding a 12x12 scanner?        (Topic#1585521)
New Kid On the Block

Any suggestions on a 12x12 scanner so my creations could be saved? I have found 11x17 but no 12x12 for my pages. help?

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to SuzzBalogh

There are a few scanners that will do 12 x 12, however, the price for those are $3,000 and up (last time I checked). I have one that does 11-1/2 by 17, that works for me. I eather lose a little edge on each side. Another way to scan layouts is to create them 11 x 11 then after scanning, mat them with a 12 x 12 coordinating cardstock.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 02-27-13 06:23 AM
In response to Mother Goose

Yea you won't find a 12 x 12 scanner that isn't extremely pricey. I just got done shopping for such a thing. I ended up just buy a 12x12 printer. I wanted something to print my own BG paper, so scanner wasn't that important, would have been nice.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to SuzzBalogh

I ran into the same conundrum last year. I took my NYC album to A's to have scanned and printed so I could give a copy to my Mom, because it was our big Mother/Daughter trip. And, although it sufficed in a pinch, I was extremely disappointed in the end result - I lost 3/4 of an inch on each side and the color reproduction was horrible. I scrap right up to the edge of my pages and didn't plan to lose the edges. And, the paper size they use for printouts is 13 x 17, so I had to go home and cut them all down to fit into a scrapbook. All this for $4 a page if you don't catch it on a 'Sale' day.

I too have a wide format printer (the HP 7500A) but have yet to 'print true 12x12 pages. It seems to cut off 1/2 an inch around when printing.

I decided to start looking for a scanner of my own because I got tired of scanning and stitching pages together. I looked on Craigslist and found a fellow who has his own scanning business and he just so happened to be upgrading his own equipment and was therefore selling a circa 1998 Epson 836XL (originally sold for $4200) that scans images in one pass up to 12.2 x 17.2. I asked him what he would charge to scan my pages --- $20 per page, because his work is usually done for large companies on a contract!!

Suffice to say, I bought the used scanner from him and embarked on a tech adventure. Now let me say that this was not a light thing to venture into - I had to find a computer that would run this scanner on a 'parallel cable'. In the end I found a Mac G3 (also circa 1998) and then I had to find software that could run this puppy That being Adobe Photoshop 5.0 (found on Amazon - used but with a license). Then I had to find a printer that would work with the setup so I could color calibrate the setup. My dh laughs at the whole setup, but he understands my passion for scrapping.

I love having my own setup and am offering the service to scrappers in my local area via an ad on Craigslist.

I hope that sometime in the near future, electronic manufacturers will recognize that there's a scrapping population that would like a cost-effective alternative in which they don't lose a portion of their pages. There are online services that you can send your originals to and they will scan and print them for you. If you have digital pages you can also send those to online companies to have printed. If you browse the web for them, they'll come up.

Now, if I want to print off a true 12x12 page, I take my scanned file over to OfficeMax or Staples and have it printed - and it's more cost effective than A's and on better quality paper.

With my digital files, I've made my kids' baby albums into slideshows set to music that they can play on any computer or home theater setup.

Good luck in your search - keep a smile M.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-27-13 09:16 AM
In response to Momto3infinity

I haven't been happy with scans of my pages yet. It may be the quality of the scanners I've tried, I don't know. But I'm finding that if I take the time to set up a space with good lighting and put the camera on a tripod, I can get really good images just by photographing them, and then just crop and do any minor rotational adjustments in Photoshop, and occasional color/brightness/contrast adjustments.

This is what I'm doing for an album I made about my MIL, my husband wants to give a copy to his son.

New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Well thank you ladies for your suggestions. I was hoping that a company made one but it seems I'm out of luck. I may invest in the 11x17. Thank you!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics