Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Hexagons        (Topic#1585529)
RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I've been a fan of tessellating shapes since I was this high, and I'm thrilled that hexagons are so IN this season.

Tell me though, how do you guys get your hexagons so perfect? Do you have dies? Punches? Quilting templates?

Or protractor, compass, ruler, pencil and scissors? See, that's the route that my engineer DH suggested I go down when I suggested dies for my birthday....

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to RedSquirrel

Creative Memories has a hexagon shaped border punch out right now. It's limited edition so I don't know how long it will be around.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to Shutterbugg

Creative Memories also had punches with different sizes of hexagons a few years ago.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I don't use them myself, but Spellbinders and Lifestyle Crafts both have a nesting hexagon set, and Sizzix has a bunch of different sizes of hexagon dies.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to aquabunny

Fiskars JUST announced a hexagon punch.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to cindy312

Yes, I love the Lifestyle Crafts nesting die set, but it's out of stock everywhere I've looked. I'll keep searching.

I am in the UK and have a rule that I will not pay more shipping than the cost of the item.

ckair 
Resident
  • ckair on 02-27-13 06:13 AM

Cant wait to see Fiskars hexagon punch!!! Gotta have one! Already have the Spellbinders set.

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys
In response to ckair

I don't use hexagons that often but when I do, I print out the right size, adhere it to the back of the pattern paper that I'm working with, and then hand cut (if smaller) or cut it witht he trimmer (if larger).
Here's a LINK to the idea and HERE is a layout that I made using this tutorial

Hope this helps!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Amarilys

These are the insides of a Dusty Attic 12x12 chip board piece. I have a ton more, I only used a few.

Adore ~Swirlydoos UDC Week 1~ By Manda_K

Crafter's Workshop and Prima also has a new hexagon stencil templates that I must have!

Also, the Cameo will let you cut perfect hexis in any size!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Amarilys

I don't own any diecutting machines so I often handcut everything I need. I do something similar to Amarilys. I went online to find a hexagon image, copied that onto a Microsoft Powerpoint document and scaled the image to various sizes (i.e. 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5", etc across). I printed out the document and cut the hexagons out by hand. Then I adhered the hexagons to a lightweight cardboard (like a cereal box) and cut those out. Not 100% perfect. But that set of template has worked well for me, and best part is I didn't spend a dime ;).

Edited to add that, doing it this method, I can size the hexagon to whatever size I need, very quickly and cheaply.

Edited by Mama2Thomas on 02-27-13 07:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Mama2Thomas

• Mama2Thomas Said:
I don't own any diecutting machines so I often handcut everything I need. I do something similar to Amarilys. I went online to find a hexagon image, copied that onto a Microsoft Powerpoint document and scaled the image to various sizes (i.e. 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5", etc across). I printed out the document and cut the hexagons out by hand. Then I adhered the hexagons to a lightweight cardboard (like a cereal box) and cut those out. Not 100% perfect. But that set of template has worked well for me, and best part is I didn't spend a dime ;).

Edited to add that, doing it this method, I can size the hexagon to whatever size I need, very quickly and cheaply.

I do the same thing for most shapes if I have no punch or die for them.. pull the shape from the list of shapes in Word, scale to the size I need (change paper size to 12*12 and use the ruler in Word to size it) then print.

With hexagons, there is an easier way too. you can make one from a strip of paper, cutting off extra triangles. it's a bit of waste of paper, but waay easier than cutting from honeycomb pattern. You can also make your own template by folding - kinda like this:
flickr.com/photos/50612995@N02/6 210773970/

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to OlesyaK.

Ooh thank you Olesya and all! That last link took me to another for folding a square into a hexagon which is pretty much exactly what I wanted. (Well short of the Lifestyle Crafts nesting dies, that is.) I just didn't know where to start searching. I'm search-challenged, I'm afraid.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Great ideas here!!

Along the same lines (haha), I just ordered a really cool hexagon embossing folder from Stampin Up and I have a really cool stamp set in my stash that has a chicken wire stamp in it. I used it a lot when I first got it, then outta sight outta mind. Gonna pull it back out and ink it up again!!

Edited by Kim222 on 02-27-13 09:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Kim222

I like that too!

gin1902
Diva
gin1902

• RedSquirrel Said:
I've been a fan of tessellating shapes since I was this high, and I'm thrilled that hexagons are so IN this season.

Tell me though, how do you guys get your hexagons so perfect? Do you have dies? Punches? Quilting templates?

Or protractor, compass, ruler, pencil and scissors? See, that's the route that my engineer DH suggested I go down when I suggested dies for my birthday....

There's a really good book by Jinny Beyer called Designing Tessellations The Secrets of Interlocking Patterns. It's mainly a quilting book-and no templates, but has so many designs that could be adapted to paper. She shows how to take a shape and turn it into a tessellation. I can't explain it, but if you take a hexagon and fold out a shape from from the edge and rotate it somehow, the out part will fit the negative space you just created in the next one. Okay, looking at the pictures, that makes sense!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-27-13 10:29 AM
In response to gin1902

Actually it is really easy to make your own tesselating shapes from you own hexagons.

I have to see if I can find my notes from back in the Dark Ages when I was a teacher and post them.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to GMFTS

"Dark Ages" LOL! I was just thinking that hexagons harken back to the comfort of our grandmother's handmade quilts and that is why we like it.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to CrimsonMama

Ooh thank you Gin and Mary!

Does anyone else remember Altair Designs? They were sheets of shapes like diamonds, hexagons, bricks, octagons arranged into pretty patterns for colouring in. I was given a book for a birthday and that was it, I was away in a world of my own with nothing but colour and shapes. I was in heaven.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

Oh how awful it would be to try and ruler/protractor/scissors it! My husband would think that too. Me? I'd say $25 bucks for a die and hours of time saved would be way better!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to scrapchica

I bought the CM hexagon punch several months ago and then won the double hexagon punch at a crop. Love everything hexagon.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics