Username Post: Clear stamps        (Topic#1585593)
Tenant

Hi. Im very new at Scrapbooking and i just bought some clear stamps and ink pads. Is there anything else I need to start stamping some of my layouts. Im not to sure what exactly clear stamps are so i woould much appreciate the help.

Thank you.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to krystleamos

You'll need an acrylic block to mount the stamps on if you don't already have one.

Tenant
In response to aquabunny

No I dont have one, my clear stamps should be arriving here in spain in like a week so thanks for letting me know. Im really excited about using them, would be a bummer if i didnt have all the supplies i need. thanks again.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

I learned not all inks do as well on the clear stamps. Somewhere on here, a stamper advised the dye ink pads don't work well on clear stamps, but that the pigment ones do. HTH! It helped me immensely!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to scrapchica

Welcome!

Don't let lack of tools hold you back! I started off stamping with clear stamps using a clear plastic box that used to hold thumbtacks as a stamping block. Or you could use an empty CD case with the inserts and black inner part removed, just so you can see what you're doing.

Try "priming" your stamps before first use by rubbing a regular pencil eraser over the whole stamping surface. That should remove any silicone left over from the manufacturing process, and allow the ink to cover better.

After use, clean them with soap and water, or a baby wipe. If you're using wipes, check the ingredients first to make sure they don't contain any alcohols (anything ending in "-ol") because alcohols can damage the stamp. Allow to dry naturally.

Practise first on different papers/cards, and you'll see you get different effects which are rather fun.

Enjoy your new toy!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel

Here's a video that I found VERY helpful.
http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/887.html

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

• RedSquirrel Said:
Welcome!

Don't let lack of tools hold you back! I started off stamping with clear stamps using a clear plastic box that used to hold thumbtacks as a stamping block. Or you could use an empty CD case with the inserts and black inner part removed, just so you can see what you're doing.

Try "priming" your stamps before first use by rubbing a regular pencil eraser over the whole stamping surface. That should remove any silicone left over from the manufacturing process, and allow the ink to cover better.

After use, clean them with soap and water, or a baby wipe. If you're using wipes, check the ingredients first to make sure they don't contain any alcohols (anything ending in "-ol") because alcohols can damage the stamp. Allow to dry naturally.

Practise first on different papers/cards, and you'll see you get different effects which are rather fun.

Enjoy your new toy!

Thanks for the helpful tips!! I'm an experienced scrapper, but a lousy stamper and am always looking to learn! (Plus would love to use the stamps I buy and shelve!)

Tenant

Thank you for all those tips. I was affraid that I wasnt going to be able to start stamping untill I purchased an acrylic block (another 2 weeks.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

You're very welcome. I'd hate to see a fellow crafter have to WAIT to play.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics